Scenic cement alternatives for ground cover?

Started by hawk4117, April 13, 2015, 10:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk4117

Hello all.  I am just about ready to lay down ground cover for my HO scale 4X8 desert layout and was wondering what kind of spray cement substitutes you would recommend other than buying the Woodland Scenic spray.  It's kind of pricey and I've been trying to cut cost on my layout as much as I can. Cutting foam for my rock formations, using tree bark and plaster of Paris, and plaster cloth worked out nicely lowering cost, and now I'm ready for the paint and covering process. Is a 50/50 solution of Elmer's glue and water doable with a few drops of detergent in a spray bottle ok, or will it dry to a kind of chalky coating?  I've heard that some modelers use hair spray? Any tips of what to use and ratio would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hawk4117

Len

The 50/50 white glue mixture works for me. I find it mixes better, with less clumping, when warm (not hot) water is used.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

You could try applying water based flat varnish, applying the ground cover on the wet varnish, and when dry spraying with a fixative like hair spray.

RAM

cheap hair spray, Non-scented, works great for making trees.  I have used White Rain and you can find it at most $ stores.

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on April 13, 2015, 08:46:45 PM
cheap hair spray, Non-scented, works great for making trees.  I have used White Rain and you can find it at most $ stores.

I agree.  For trees,  the cheaper, the nastier, the stickier the hair spray the better.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

NarrowMinded

Spray a light mist of white wood glue deleted with water 50/50 as mentioned,

Sprinkle your scenic ground cover around as thick or thin as you need,

Next from at least 18" away mist the ground cover with water with about 3 drops of dish soap per cup of water, this will allow your 50/50 mix to flow better as the soap breaks waters surface tension.

Now spray the 50/50 water/glue mix until it's all wet, leave it to set over night 24hrs

I have used this method for over 30 years and it works great.

Don't worry about any white soggy looking spots it will all dry it will look natural and will not be shiny, best of all it will be set like a rock.

Last tip apply you ground cover in natural layers 1 dirt 2 soil 3 weeds 4 grass  etc.
Here a small layout I did using this method http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20416.msg162730.html#msg162730

NM-Jeff

jward

you could also apply the thinned white glue mixture with a paint brush, then sprinkle on your ground foam. if you have a large area to cover this may be a bit more practical than misting everything. in the 1960s, model railroader's preferred method of applying ground cover was to apply latex paint over the area, then apply the ground cover onto the still wet paint. both methods should give similar results. just be sure to thoroughly clean your brush if you use the glue mixture.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: NarrowMinded on April 13, 2015, 10:27:42 PM
Spray a light mist of white wood glue deleted with water 50/50 as mentioned,

Sprinkle your scenic ground cover around as thick or thin as you need,

Next from at least 18" away mist the ground cover with water with about 3 drops of dish soap per cup of water, this will allow your 50/50 mix to flow better as the soap breaks waters surface tension.

Now spray the 50/50 water/glue mix until it's all wet, leave it to set over night 24hrs

I have used this method for over 30 years and it works great.

Don't worry about any white soggy looking spots it will all dry it will look natural and will not be shiny, best of all it will be set like a rock.

Last tip apply you ground cover in natural layers 1 dirt 2 soil 3 weeds 4 grass  etc.
Here a small layout I did using this method http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20416.msg162730.html#msg162730

NM-Jeff

Excellent advice.

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: jward on April 13, 2015, 11:38:36 PM
you could also apply the thinned white glue mixture with a paint brush, then sprinkle on your ground foam. if you have a large area to cover this may be a bit more practical than misting everything. in the 1960s, model railroader's preferred method of applying ground cover was to apply latex paint over the area, then apply the ground cover onto the still wet paint. both methods should give similar results. just be sure to thoroughly clean your brush if you use the glue mixture.

Again, excellent advice.

Cheers

Roger T.