News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Traintable

Started by philws, April 16, 2015, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philws

How high should you built a train table?

richardl

There is a great deal of argument as to what the proper height for a layout is.

Below in the link you will find many links, examples, discussions. Different factors can come into play.
Keep in mind. There is no best, only what works best for you and you will find that can change over time as the layout grows.

http://tinyurl.com/mxbxgaj

Keep links for study.

Rich

jward

your mileage may vary.

I personally prefer my table height about 36".....lower and I have trouble getting underneath to get to the wiring. higher, and I have trouble reaching into the layout when I need to. for me, 36" is a good compromise.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

My standard, if you will, is high enough so I can comfortably reach in to fix any derailments.  So nothing you may have to reach deeper in than 24" when standing up.

Currently that's 48" high and I can comfortably reach all my track in case of derailments but my scenery goes back 36" and I can reach that from a step stool.

But of course, the goal is to have zero derailments.  :)

I like 48 or so inches as it's close to eye level and allows lots of room under the railway so I can sit on a home made wheeled stool to work on wiring.

There is a possibility at sometime in the future I may add a second deck, so that will be much narrower, 18" max and I think down to 9" to 12" as it passes over the main yard and that height will be closer to 60 inches.  Access for track laying and scenery work will have to be from a portable work platform that I shall have to build.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

My personal preference is 42" high, but that's just me.

This is one of those basic questions that comes up a lot, so I would suggest a quick check with the "Search" function if you have any more questions on basics. You'll probably find more info than you can use, but if nothing comes up feel free to ask away.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jerrys HO

36 is how high I have mine but I think it could have gone a little more something like Len.
I am about 5'8 and have no problems with 36 but the extra underneath would have been nice.