News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recommended Publications

Started by kdgrant6, March 19, 2015, 09:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I'm new to this hobby and was wondering what single publication (in terms of magazines) would you recommend in regard to HO model railroading?

Bucksco

Jerrys HO

KD,
I have this one I believe someone here on the forum sent me and it's fantastic......
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books/12216__How-to-Build-Realistic-Model-Railroad-Scenery-3rd-Edition
but some of the others like basic wiring and realistic modelrailroad operation is good starter books as well as others listed. click on the see all tab by books.

kdgrant6

What about the mainstream, monthly publications?

rogertra

Model Railroader for a monthly magazine.

Seems aimed a lot more towards beginners these past few years.

Books?  Any Kalmbach book on track laying and track plans, wiring, scenery, building structures, etc., etc..

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

-Maintaining & Repairing Your Scale Model Trains by MRR and Jim Volhard

-The ABC's of Model Railroading by MRR

-Basic Trackwork for Model Railroader by MRR and Jeff Wilson

(all are Kalmbach books)

-Atlas HO Layouts For Every Space Level 2
Keep Calm and Carry On

austrian

I am astonished that the Yardmaster did not recommand it so I will do it:
The E-Z Track Planning Guide and Layout Book by Chris Lane and Lee Riley
If I could only buy one book I would choose this one.
This book provides Information about how to start, choosing scale, layout style, location, construction, wiring and other electrical matters, track basics and planning, scenery and landscaping, weathering of rooling stock. There are some very nice layouts explained in the book, the timesaver switching puzzle, a quarry and mining layout, a suggestion to model the Northeast Corridor in modest space....
I would recommand this one as a primer and if the bug really has bitten and you need much more information what about the Model Railroader All Access Pass that gives you all the contents of all issues ever published?

bapguy

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/
Model Rail Road Hobbyist is a free on line monthly magazine.  Joe

mabloodhound

Quote from: bapguy on March 20, 2015, 09:33:12 AM
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/
Model Rail Road Hobbyist is a free on line monthly magazine.  Joe

Yup, MRH has something for everyone AND it's FREE!
:o
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

jward

my personal take on it is that model railroader gets less useful as the years go by. my recommendation would be to look for older magazines from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.  model railroader from this era is pretty good, as is railroad model craftsman. but the best of the bunch was a magazine called rail model journal, which is no longer published. you can often find these old magazines at train shows or online.

of the magazines currently being published, the online model railroad hobbyist is by far the most interesting to me.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

kdgrant6

Trainman203

Don't forget Railroad Model Craftsman.  It went under but White River Publications has given it CPR and improved it.

I've found Model Railroader, over time to become repetitive.  I subscribed to it in the early 60 s and find it today to be a shadow of its former self.  I've subscribed for the last 10 years but I'm going to let it go  at the end.  My historical society has become a lot more valuable and is precisely focused on my direction.

jbrock27

Thanks for the down low on MRH :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

There are also a number of discussion groups on HO model railroading Some in the Yahoo Groups area, others associated with different historical societies, etc. If you're interested in particular railroads, joining a historical society generally gets you access to a ton of info you will not find anywhere else.

The Yahoo Groups for HO are listed here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir/1601043014

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.