News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wheel sets for Thunder Chief trainset

Started by austrian, March 31, 2015, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrian

Today my Thunder Chief trainset has arrived. While painting, lettering and couplers are well above the usual trainset stuff, I think the plastic wheelsets of the wagons are a let down. True, the wagons run well enough and don`t wobble but I think in the long term metal wheelsets are preferable as in my experience the rails stay cleaner.

So I want metal ones - please could someone tell me whether the 33" wheel sets (item 42904) are the right ones?

As Bachmann put the Nickel Silver track and a high quality sound value F7 into this set, I wonder if it is really necessary to save a few bucks by providing plastic wheelsets instead of the nice wheelsets the silver series fright cars come with. Wouldn`t it be better for the image if all components are to the same high standard? After all there are cheaper trainsets available for the very price sensitive buyers.

Len

Yes, the 42904 wheelsets will work. Generally speaking, there are a few exceptions, freight cars use 33" wheels. Some modern equipment uses 36" wheels, and some well cars use 28" wheels to get a few extra inches of clearance.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

austrian