News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how detailed will the ho usra 2-8-2 be?

Started by sedfred, March 31, 2015, 01:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

does anyone know what the 2-8-2 will be like in terms of detail? I saw the concept image and it looks good. but will the actual model be well detailed? what current model do you think it will be comparable to?

Bucksco

Similar in detail to the 2-8-0 consolidation.

rogertra

So, just to clarify, as I will be in the market for at least two, these will be detailed to "Spectrum" standards and not to "Sound Value" standards?

Cheers

Roger T.

Bucksco

They are NOT Spectrum locos. They will be built to our standard line level of detail. Although it was originally a Spectrum model the 2-8-0 is now part of the standard line.

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on March 31, 2015, 07:58:56 PM
They are NOT Spectrum locos. They will be built to our standard line level of detail. Although it was originally a Spectrum model the 2-8-0 is now part of the standard line.

Mmmm.  Standard line line?  Sorry to hear they will not be Spectrum locos.  That may put them in a different light.  But we shall wait and see.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger, Yardmaster;
I would personally prefer a "straightforward" rendition, going toward USRA in concept.  Why?  So that I could detail it to my liking.  If I want to change the feed-water system, say, to Elesco, with all of the details commensurate with same, I don't want to b doing a major "detail-stripping" project in order to accomplish this. 

I don't advocate that all modellers follow my lead and do likewise-that is part of the way I enjoy this hobby-but with the high-quality brass and plastic  detail parts and appliances available, it makes for a model more to what one might want as an end result.

As an example, I want to make a B&A A-6 Berkshire.  These had that "beetle-browed" feed-water on the smoke-box, as well as smoke deflectors.  I will take a C&O Berkshire as a starting point-Bachmann's is a good subject for this project.  If there were a ton of "super-detail" work on it, I would probably not want to ruin it.
SGT  C.

jonathan

Likewise, I am looking forward to a straightforward USRA Mike.

I have discovered about a dozen B&O Q-3's that kept their USRA look without brakemen's' hooches, and kept their USRA tenders more or less intact.  This is based on photographs of unknown date, however. Detailing the stock plastic locomotive should be a fun project and not too difficult.

Looking forward to the basic sounds and basic USRA look.  Hopefully, it will be a nice running locomotive, like 99% of the Bachmann offerings.  I especially appreciate the lack of traction tires, so I can weight it to my liking.  Anticipating...

Regards,

Jonathan

austrian

What are the chances I get a Santa Fe mike? Did Santa Fe use this type of mikados?

And what is the difference between the mogul/consolidation and a Spectrum steamer?
If it is just that the Spectrum ones have more sound features, than I prefer the sound value locos as for me they offer enough and I can (just) afford them - in Europe  even "value" get pricy.

What I really dislike is that some roads are offered as sound value and some not - and of course the ones I want are not. >:(

Wouldn`t it be possible to offer all as sound value and as not fitted? So modellers on a tight budget get sound and really good motor control and other modellers wishing more features could use the decoder of choice. And modellers using DC control would not think they pay for something they will not use.
Another option would be to offer sound value modules for retrofitting.

Thomas

Trainman203

Santa Fe, like most western roads, had no USRA engines

Trainman203

I'd like the Frisco with sound.  Not for the incomplete sound package  in the decoder, but for the factory  installed speaker.  Plus, can run with sound out of the box until I feel like putting a Tsunami in it.

Yard master, do we know the names of the three whistle options yet?

rogertra

I agree when everyone says they'd like a "Plain Jane" USRA 2-8-2, I never asked for anything else.  While I would like a "Plain Jane" USRA 2-8-2 I would also like is as detailed as a Spectrum engine and to run to the same high standards as a Spectrum engine.  In other words, an Athearn 2-8-2 but built to Spectrum standards.  With a working front coupler, gears that don't split in the box, a tender that picks up power and without the tendency to derail, all the faults the Athearn 2-8-2 suffered.  I know, because I bought two and two of the Athearn 4-6-2s, based on Athearn's reputation.  I've never bought another Athearn product since.

I've never bought a Bachmann "Standard" engine as I gather they do not come up to the same standards as a Spectrum engine.  Therefore I will hold off purchasing any USRA 2-8-2s until the magazine reviews come in.

Cheers.

Roger T.

Bucksco

Best not to make judgments until the actual product is released....

thewizard

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 01, 2015, 11:02:15 PM
I think you've mistook the Internet for a place where reason and logic exist  ;D

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 01, 2015, 11:02:15 PM

Agreed, which is why I wrote will await reviews, which will, of course, be positive.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
The innards of most Bachmann locomotives, in my opinion, supersedes most other similar product on the market.  I have brass that I have to tinker with to get to run as smoothly, so in my case, all the improvements would be on the superstructure. 
As far as working pilot couplers goes, this is where the skills in this endeavor are honed.  Not my intent to "lord" it over anyone; just to mention that as modellers, we should be able to get around most obstacles in that category.  I know I am going to wrinkle some noses on that comment, but it is my opinion-only.
SGT C.  (Rich)