News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"DCC-Ready N scale short USRA tender

Started by Bob S, April 01, 2015, 12:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

Greetings,

Compleat DCC Idiot here. I model in HOn30, and I have used Bachmann N scale tenders just for all-wheel pick-up in regular old DC. I have one of the short USRA tenders that has a small circuit board in it, with a six-pin (male) connector. Is that in fact a decoder, or is it something else? If it is "something else", what is supposed to plug into the pins?  Most decoders I have looked already have the 6 pin connector.

I am about to build another 2-6-0 based on the Model Power unit, and the motor is already isolated from the frame, so it might be fun to build it with DCC, if it's not a PITA. (I bought a Prodigy Advance system a few years ago, but never used it) I just don't know what I'm looking at inside that tender.

Tutorials, suggestions are welcomed ....

Respectfully,
Bob S.
Grab Baggage and Walk!

Mike C

It's not a decoder , the board just has some regular components for DC operation . The 6 pin connector is just a connector for the wires that come from the locomotive . The board does have connections that are fairly easy to mount a decoder to though . Somewhere on this site there are instructions on how to mount a DCC decoder in one of these tenders.

Bob S

Mike, 
Thanks for the reply.
Where can one get a 6 pin plug that will interface with the pins?
I searched for info regarding this tender, the installed board, and the interface connections on this site and others, but no joy.
Bachmann could do us all a favor by putting some literature in the package that explains what the electronics are, and how to use them.

Respectfully,
Bob S.
Grab Baggage and Walk!

Mike C

The easiest thing to do is to remove the board from the tender . Then just use the wires from the trucks to connect to the red and black wires from the loco and the red black wires from the decoder. run the orange grey wires from the decoder to the orange grey wires to the motor.