News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Southern Pacific 4-10-2

Started by Trains Again, February 02, 2007, 07:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trains Again

This is a new forum, so I thought I would mention an idea of mine that some people were talking about on the old forum. My idea would be an Southern Pacific 4-10-2 for the Spectrum line of Bachmann. Some people didn't like the idea of a 4-12-2, because of the amount of wheels, which may not be able to take curves well. So I figure I would go a little less wheels and mention the 4-10-2. The engine has 3 cylinders. The 3rd cylinder and 3rd cylinder drive rod crank is located behind the pilot. This is an O scale picture of the engine:

barrowsr

Count me in - I'd love to see a couple of these on my layout.

Robin

Hoople

I personally would like a 4-12-2 more, but a 4-10-2 still fits...

As I stated earlier, Imagine not having anything within 3" of the tracks...
lol.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Trains Again

Yes. Both would be nice. I'm guessing that a 4-10-2 would probably be more likely for Bachmann to build though.

joegideon

Wouldn't a 4-10-2 be more-likely to appear in a BLI ad?  So far Bachmann has, with the exception of the K4s  only opted for fairly generic(nee USRA) locos; the 2-8-0 is half I.C./half free-lance- there simply was no Consol. that covered several railroads.  The 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 are both "catalog" engines.  The upcoming "F" K27 is narrow gauge- and, as we all know- th' rules just don't apply...  The 4-10-2 was used by both the S.P. and the U.P.  The other thing is, my guess is that Bachmann most-likely believes it has performed its due diligence as far as 10-coupled engines are concerned... with the Light 2-10-2...  I once suggested a B&A-NYC/Mich Cent/B&M/SP/ICRR/and more... Early Superpower 2-8-4- it's the original version of the NKP/C&O Pere Marquette(covered by Walthers/Proto 2k)Berk.  And, don't forget:  Ain't a passenger engine in sight- 4-6-2 or 4-6-4.  The Spectrum K4 is both the exception, plus it demonstrates my thesis regarding 'coverage'  Who would decal a K4 in Rio Grande or even B. & O. livery?  A nice USRA would fit a lot of things... All those southern railroads, midwestern railroads, the B. & O.... not to mention all those Just Me and Pacific freelance outfits running out there.

Whatelse...??  Here ya go!  How about a Sierra #38 2-6-6-2?  Yeah... Mantua covered it- sorta- but a full-on, high-quality logging Mallet like the #38... I'd buy three or four!  After these 4-4-0s, I think they're looking for a Big un.  Although, I'd love to see a Mogul- a Wabash, maybe?  Actually, I'd love to see an outfit like Bachmann take  on the Yosemite Valley roster!  Wow! Personally, I think it'd be brilliant!  No One would buy JUST ONE!!!

Food for thought, anyway...

Jim Snyder

SteamGene

Hey Jim, the 4-8-2 began life as passenger engine.  Until the very end of steam on the C&O, they Mountains were used only as passenger engines.  N&W even streamlined a lot of theirs to resemble their 4-8-4 Class J. 
But I agree - a good 4-6-2 or 4-6-4 would be nice. 
Gene
P.S.  Anybody figured out how to add a signature tag?
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Rich R

Quote from: SteamGene on February 03, 2007, 08:59:43 AM
Hey Jim, the 4-8-2 began life as passenger engine.  Until the very end of steam on the C&O, they Mountains were used only as passenger engines.  N&W even streamlined a lot of theirs to resemble their 4-8-4 Class J. 
But I agree - a good 4-6-2 or 4-6-4 would be nice. 
Gene
P.S.  Anybody figured out how to add a signature tag?

I thought you could do that by going into your profile and adding it there?
But then the older I get the more I become used to having to learn things all over again.

Cheers,
Rich R

Hoople

Joe, it does seam like something along the lines of BLI producing it... But then the sound wouldn't be good and the price would be jacked up :-[ :'(
-Hoople-

Trains Again

Quote from: Hoople on February 03, 2007, 07:22:58 PM
Joe, it does seam like something along the lines of BLI producing it... But then the sound wouldn't be good and the price would be jacked up :-[ :'(

I'll have to agree with Hoople. If BLI made a 4-10-2, it would cost too much.

I think its a great idea for an engine. Or some other 3 Cylinder engine besides a Shay. I know Alton & Southern had a 3 cylinder 0-8-0 switcher. I think I can find a photo:

Hoople

A 3 cylinder 0-8-0?

Somebody needs a TON of power in thier yard...

If they really did, they'ed get that wierd mantua 0-10-0 for 50% off at my LHS...
-Hoople-

pdlethbridge

Quote from: joegideon on February 03, 2007, 05:24:40 AM
Who would decal a K4 in Rio Grande or even B. & O. livery?
Didn't the N&W buy some Pennsy K's. That would be an option

Trains Again

Quote from: Hoople on February 03, 2007, 10:57:20 PM
A 3 cylinder 0-8-0?

If they really did, they'ed get that wierd mantua 0-10-0 for 50% off at my LHS...

Whats LHS?

SteamGene

"LHS" is Local Hobby Shop"
The N&W apparently did have some Pennsy Pacifics, but not the K-4.  But Virginian would know best.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hoople

Quote from: Trains Again on February 04, 2007, 01:14:43 AM
Quote from: Hoople on February 03, 2007, 10:57:20 PM
A 3 cylinder 0-8-0?

Whats LHS?

I remember asking that a few weeks ago. I find it a handy little term.
-Hoople-

Trains Again

So what does the Bach-Man or another Admin have to say about these ideas?