Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

He's already said.  Not in the plans.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene mentioned the 4-8-2's being strictly passenger engines on the C&O, and that is correct. Same was true on the B&O. But on the NYC, PRR and dozen or so other roads in the east, Mountains where truely the first dual service locos and paved the way for the superpower northern concept. On NYC most of the freight trains going up the Hudson where pulled by their 4-8-2's which they caled Mohawk's.

And Bachmann has blessed us with two great Mountains and good selection of different tenders to go behind them. My Atlantic central has a large fleet of USRA heavy Mountains, some oil fired and some coal fired.

As others have said, we still need more 2-8-0's, 2-8-2's, 4-6-2's, these where the work a day locos of most railroads even to the end.

A few other ideas instead of giant wheelbase western power.

How about the DT&I super power Mikado?, these where just as powerful as the Lima Berk's.

Or any of the great Atlantics that moved name passenger trains all through the teens and twenties and then moved commuters and locals in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

Or what about a modern large boilered ten wheeler?

But we have enough Northerns and other long wheelbase, large drivered western monsters.

Sheldon

Hoople

Quote from: SteamGene on February 06, 2007, 07:30:55 AM
Gene

Not in the plans? Well the plans aren't set in stone...
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Trains Again

Quote from: Hoople on February 06, 2007, 10:59:53 AM
Quote from: SteamGene on February 06, 2007, 07:30:55 AM
Gene

Not in the plans? Well the plans aren't set in stone...

This is true. Things change all the time in the model railroad business. From my understanding, Bachmann (I thought) is suppose to listen to what the community wants. Or am I thinking of Dell Computers? lol ;-)

Trains Again

Quote from: atlanticcentral on February 06, 2007, 09:51:36 AM
Gene mentioned the 4-8-2's being strictly passenger engines on the C&O, and that is correct. Same was true on the B&O. But on the NYC, PRR and dozen or so other roads in the east, Mountains where truely the first dual service locos and paved the way for the superpower northern concept. On NYC most of the freight trains going up the Hudson where pulled by their 4-8-2's which they caled Mohawk's.

And Bachmann has blessed us with two great Mountains and good selection of different tenders to go behind them. My Atlantic central has a large fleet of USRA heavy Mountains, some oil fired and some coal fired.

As others have said, we still need more 2-8-0's, 2-8-2's, 4-6-2's, these where the work a day locos of most railroads even to the end.

A few other ideas instead of giant wheelbase western power.

How about the DT&I super power Mikado?, these where just as powerful as the Lima Berk's.

Or any of the great Atlantics that moved name passenger trains all through the teens and twenties and then moved commuters and locals in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

Or what about a modern large boilered ten wheeler?

But we have enough Northerns and other long wheelbase, large drivered western monsters.

Sheldon

I was talking more about the 4-10-2. Not the 4-8-2. Bachmann already has plenty of those.

I also mentioned an Alton & Southern 0-8-0 would be nice. They had 3 cylinders which would make it an interesting 0-8-0.

the Bach-man

Dear Trains Again,
Exactly what I said last time: not a likely candidate for mass production.
Have fun,
the Bach-man

Hoople

This is why BLI would produce it. Maybe if they did, we could get a nice stealth one and upgrade to sound or something.
-Hoople-

Trains Again

Quote from: Hoople on February 08, 2007, 10:56:24 AM
This is why BLI would produce it. Maybe if they did, we could get a nice stealth one and upgrade to sound or something.

BLI comes with sound. Just to let you know also.....I just got an email back from BLI, and they said that they have plans for a 4-12-2, but don't know when they will start building it :-D

Mr. Bachmann:  What about the Alton & Southern 0-8-0?

phil87

>>Wouldn't a 4-10-2 be more-likely to appear in a BLI ad?<<
Perhaps... I have their AC-5, a beautiful model indeed. So I signed-in for their AC-12. That was many months ago. Until recently, this model was due sometimes in second half of 1Q, the Walthers site said Feb 15. Suddenly, the BLI site bumped it to "TBD", and now Walthers indicates a tentative Oct 2008!!

I really hate manufacturers that take reservations, to later say that the model may in fact never be released (well, BLI does not say it -that- way, but who will be patient enough to hold his reservation that long?). I could read somewhere that InterMountain's same model may have killed BLI's. Bottomline being that Southern Pacific aficionados that were counting on BLI's model may be too late now to switch to IM's one, and so may not get any AC-12 at all ever. Crazy, isn't it?

As for the 4-10-2, I have the one from Westside Models. A beauty, but I fear it is beyond any modeler's capability to open such a brass model to convert it to DCC. Me first, I would never dare to just open the model, I would be too afraid I can't put the body back on the chassis.

Any advice on this? Would it be simpler if I consider swapping the original Westside tender with a Bachmann one?

Thank you,

Phil

SteamGene

Phil87,
You'd still have to isolate the motor.  Most brass steam I'm familiar with is extremely easy to open.  There are two small screws just below the cab and one big screw which either goes up into the smoke box from the frame or down the smoke stack into the frame.  Piece of cake.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hoople

Quote from: Trains Again on February 09, 2007, 01:59:34 AM
Quote from: Hoople on February 08, 2007, 10:56:24 AM

BLI comes with sound. Just to let you know also.....I just got an email back from BLI, and they said that they have plans for a 4-12-2, but don't know when they will start building it :-D

Mr. Bachmann:  What about the Alton & Southern 0-8-0?

I can wait. Let's hope it's got a few blind drivers...
And BLI does come without sound. That's what the "Stealth Series" is.

And there's always Trainworld....
-Hoople-

lanny

I'll put my 'vote' with Jim ('joegideon') regarding the 'early superpower Berks' that several roads used (including the ICRR) in at least a couple different versions.

The only HO ICRR 2-8-4s out there that I am aware of are brass and way, way out of my price range. A Spectrum 2-8-4 in the early version style would be a great idea in my opinion... and I think would have application to lots of railroads.

... 'course, so would Harriamn style 2-8-2s and 4-6-2's, as well as the ability to buy any number of the wonderful Spectrum Conso cabs which are very ICRR in looks and dimensions (for kit bashing projects)!  :-)

Sorry, Mr. Bach Man, I know I've mentioned the Harrimans and the Conso cabs about 400 times. Please excuse my repetition! :-)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Nigel

Quote from: SteamGene on February 04, 2007, 12:57:40 PM
"LHS" is Local Hobby Shop"
The N&W apparently did have some Pennsy Pacifics, but not the K-4.  But Virginian would know best.
Gene

The N&W bought some PRR K3 4-6-2 and classified them E3.  They were scrapped in 1945/46.

There was a long series of articles in Model Railroading (MRG) magazine several years ago on converting a Spectrum K4 into a N&W E3 (could also be followed to make a PRR K3).

The N&W used thier streamlined K2 and K2a 4-8-2 (USRA Heavy and copies) on both frieght and passenger trains.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

SteamGene

I  know of only two 4-8-2s made by Bachmann, the light and heavy version of the USRA variety.  IHC also makes a model of the C&O J-2, their railroad rebuild of the USRA heavy 4-8-2, but with many road names and a rectangular tender on some of the versions.  Bachmann does have several varieties of the USRA heavy Mountain, as shopped by various railroads. 
So we really aren't overrun with "inexpensive" HO Mountains. 
In addition, almost all non-brass 2-8-2s and 4-6-2s are the USRA models.  This is somewhat understandable, as a C&O F-19 and a Southern Ps-4 were both heavy Pacifics, but they really didn't look anything alike.  However, to keep Lanny from mentioning it 401 times, there is the Harriman design for the western folk. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Yea Gene! Hear, hear!   :-)

(that doesn't count as '402'  :-)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler