News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale thomas

Started by rustycoupler, April 10, 2015, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustycoupler

Who would like to see an n scale Thomas? I would.

brokemoto

One of the Japanese manufacturers, I think that it was TOMIX, did sell an N scale Thomas.   Thomas came in a box with Clarabelle and Annie.   I seem to recall that there was one of the larger steam engines sold separately, as well.   I have the Thomas with Clarabelle and Annie, I am just not going upstairs right this minute to see who made it.

Supposedly, there are some problems with the gears' on the engine cracking, but mine has not shown that, yet.   I will admit that I have not run it in some time.

Before that came out, I did manage to bash a Thomas.  I took a Thomas bubble stuff toy, hollowed out a portion of it and put it onto the chassis of an Atlas/RR 0-6-0T.   It ran well enough.  To be sure, the carriage looked a bit awkward under the bubble stuff toy.  The children at the shows did not notice the difference.  The children were the reason that I bashed it together in the first place.  Later, I found a Clarabelle and an Annie, put N scale wheels on them and had a little train to run around a loop.   The children loved it.

Eventually, the plastic armature bearing on the 0-6-0T chassis cracked.  Shortly thereafter, TOMIX (or whoever it was) issued the Thomas, Clarabelle and Annie set.   These are currently out of production.  When one does hit FeePay, the bidding and sniping wars go ga-ga.

I would not mind seeing someone do Thomas, Clarabelle and Annie in N, again.  If there is a problem with the gears, I would hope that whoever sells the newer version addresses that problem.

EDITORIAL NOTE:   I did make it upstairs, eventually, and took out the N scale Thomas/Clarabelle/Annie set.   It was, in fact, manufactured in China but sold under the TOMIX brand name.  E-R imported it into this country.   Mine still runs, but the locomotive does not like Kato UNITRAK #4 turnouts, either facing or trailing.   It was noisy, at first, but a little LaBelle teflon grease quieted it down a bit.

NarrowMinded

N scale is small for the biggest group of Thomas fans to handle, Think "Choking hazard", Im surprised anyone made them.

NM-Jeff

skipgear

Tomix runs them every 3-5 years it seems. It may be time for another batch. They do Thomas, Percy, James, and Henry along with a half dozen different car types. They are Japan only releases due to Licensing restrictions.

Ebay was your best source.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950