News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What vision do you have for your layout?

Started by Trainman203, April 14, 2015, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

This sums up what I want my layouts to look  like, without the rocks.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/sites/model-railroad-hobbyist.com/files/MReMagcab.jpg

Trainman203

That's Charlie Duckworth's MP Bagnell Branch, it was in the 2010 Great Model Railroads.

ebtnut

My working theory on what to model has been what type of railroading you remember from your adolescence, say from around ages 8 to 12.  You are old enough to have specific memories of the sights and sounds of the railroads around you and reflect those memories in your modeling. 

jonathan

I'm attempting to model a generic B&O, double-track, mainline around 1955.  However... I'm not averse to modeling some equipment that was retired by 1953.  I even have a couple of pieces that didn't appear before 1961 (my birth year) and 1963.

Rule 1 applies.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Quote from: ebtnut on April 17, 2015, 10:04:48 AM
My working theory on what to model has been what type of railroading you remember from your adolescence, say from around ages 8 to 12.  You are old enough to have specific memories of the sights and sounds of the railroads around you and reflect those memories in your modeling. 

Like I said in another post......I never saw a real train until I was 16 or 17....they didn't have trains where I grew up. The first loco I saw was a GP9, yet I model steam....go figure.

Always an exception to every theory huh? LOL

Sid

electrical whiz kid

Interesting rear-end car-a caboose(?).   Just a quick question:  Why is there no end platform?  Must be that the crew enjoys that three-foot jump...
SGT C. 

Trainman203

Those are a holdout from the 19th century, side door cabooses.  They hung on very late on the MP and the TP and were called "Muley" cars.

Trainman203

Sid where did you live where there were no railroads?

jbrock27

What's up with the emphasis on "thatRoger?

Have you recently viewed something that you felt was not a real model railroad?

Charlie?  Chuck?  Is there really any difference?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: ebtnut on April 17, 2015, 10:04:48 AM

I like the old stuff and I like modern. That's why I went with the RR Museum idea, it lets me do both at the same time.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 17, 2015, 01:40:22 PM
Sid where did you live where there were no railroads?

I grew up north of 60. Yellowknife mostly......Inuvik was a treat. Google those two places. It wasn't just railroads we were missing....we didn't even get TV until I was 10 in 1971.

Our freight came in by air or barge up the rivers. I have stood on both the magnetic and the geographical north poles. I can build an igloo and skin a seal. Remote doesn't begin to describe where I grew up.

Sid

Trainman203

Sid I had to look up "north of 60" , had never heard that before.  Yes that is way way up there.  Way different than how I grew up for sure, never went north of Memphis until an adult. Only saw snow once until my 20s.

What "is" the farthest northern railroad point (from the south) up there anyway?  What distance separates it from the White Pass or the Alaska RR?  Wonder why they never connected.

Never been to that part of  the world, want to go.

jward

distances up there are a lot further than you think. for example, we looked into driving the Alaska highway once. the distance from dawson creek, the southern end of the highway, to Fairbanks Alaska was 2500 miles. that is about the same as the distance from Pittsburgh to dawson creek. to connect the Alaska railroad to the rest of the north American rail system would require building over 1000 miles of track with very little traffic to sustain it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

From what I can see on Google Maps, 2/3 of any railroad going there would have to be built on trestles to cross all the lakes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.