News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas collection and projects

Started by MrBob, April 21, 2015, 08:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLK2707

Can you please give me instructions on how you built the breakdown train and glued bits together?

7029cluncastle

I have just been through your thread and I am very impressed with your work. Top notch, I look forward to your next update!  :)

Kenny
"There are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way. I' m Great Western and..."

MrBob

This months project was an easy one, this might be my last till Oliver and Toad are released, I have found a few kits of real life locos I didn't know you could get so I want to give them a go

Anyway Edward and Percys cattle trucks from 'Cows'

6 TT#3's with faces removed and 2 brake vans repainted

JLK2707

Excellent job! By the way, what brand of paint did you use to repaint these and what colour did you use?

MrBob

full list is at the bottom of page 1 but for this project i used

a 3/4 to 1/4 mix of Tamiya X9 brown and X1 black

the green doors are the standard green of the Bachmann TT #3

chassis are Tamiya X1

the roofs are a mix of Tamiya XF-53 grey and Revell 378 dark grey

brake vans are again a mix of X9 and X1

roofs are Revell 302 matt black

JLK2707

Did you also paint the troublesome trucks with the same X45 tamiya that you used for the old coaches?

MrBob

Quote from: JLK2707 on November 03, 2015, 04:00:34 AM
Did you also paint the troublesome trucks with the same X45 tamiya that you used for the old coaches?

I cant 100% remember but I think they're Tamiya Xf 26 deep green which should be a matt finish

JLK2707

What brand of paint did you use to paint the roof of the salt wagon?

MrBob

Quote from: JLK2707 on January 23, 2016, 07:42:50 AM
What brand of paint did you use to paint the roof of the salt wagon?

I'm sure it was Revell 378

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Is there anyone on here who is exceptionally good with digital model railway software? I was hoping someone could help me plan a layout on one of these; I've tried to use them and I never get anywhere. Shoot me a message if you are interested in helping!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

MrBob

Quote from: Racing James! on January 29, 2016, 09:41:24 AM
Is there anyone on here who is exceptionally good with digital model railway software? I was hoping someone could help me plan a layout on one of these; I've tried to use them and I never get anywhere. Shoot me a message if you are interested in helping!

I originally used auto cad for my original drawing but I have since found a program called anyrail 5, really easy to use and they do a free trail but you are limited to 50 section of track

SeaEagle

Hey mate,

Found this thread a couple of weeks ago and have to say you've done a really top job here. I'm like yourself and really enjoy series 1 & 2 much more than anything after that, must be an 80's kid thing haha. Most of the posters have asked anything that that I would ask myself, but one question I have for you is: What is the best way to go about removing the names and faces from the Bachmann Annie & Clarabel's? I'd like to do James' coaches myself and a little unsure how to do it without marking the orange paint.

Top effort mate, keep it up. Particularly impressed with the James makeover, old branchline coaches and the Flying Kipper. I'll be tackling those projects myself in good time. How is the layout coming along?   

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Quote from: Racing James! on January 29, 2016, 09:41:24 AM
Really would like some help...
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

MrBob

Quote from: SeaEagle on January 30, 2016, 06:48:32 PM
Hey mate,

Found this thread a couple of weeks ago and have to say you've done a really top job here. I'm like yourself and really enjoy series 1 & 2 much more than anything after that, must be an 80's kid thing haha. Most of the posters have asked anything that that I would ask myself, but one question I have for you is: What is the best way to go about removing the names and faces from the Bachmann Annie & Clarabel's? I'd like to do James' coaches myself and a little unsure how to do it without marking the orange paint.

Top effort mate, keep it up. Particularly impressed with the James makeover, old branchline coaches and the Flying Kipper. I'll be tackling those projects myself in good time. How is the layout coming along?   

Hey there

Not done much Thomas related stuff lately but I do have a hand full of project in my mind I want to do soon plus eagerly awaiting news on Oliver and Toad but been focusing on real locos lately some have Thomas connections though:

LNER W1 which was the real life 'galloping sausage'

and

twin tender flying scotsman as seen in 'tender engines'

but this month I got my finger out and made a base board and started laying some track, so far got 2 loops with approx 19 meter running lengths, perfect for long trains! I want another 2 loops then I'll start on stations ect but at least I have something to run them on now

as for removing the names I found a good rub with a little edge of a microfiber cloth dipped in white spirt works, takes a bit of time to start with but comes off

do you want to remove the faces but keep the windows or like mine that have blank ends on each side?

SeaEagle

Cheers for the advice, I'll give it a try this weekend. I was thinking of just leaving them as is, I like the end windows and not sure if my modelling skills are up to cutting one end off to glue on another and doing a good job of it. Obviously that still leaves the noses, it's comical just thinking about it but it won't bother me too much one it's done (I think haha). Also, I'd like to add lights to all my passenger coaches too, so that way the end windows will still be effective.

I plan to collect some non Thomas locos as well, aleady have a Flying Scotsman, got that when I was a kid. But I love those BR Prairie tanks so I'll get one of those and a standard pannier tank as well for starters. It should all fit with the Thomas stuff contextually, my layout will be small town/countryside Britain circa 1930's/40's. The only departure from that will be two great Australian loco's (I'm Aussie): The 3801 and the Hudson R761.  Hopefully two main lines for parallel runs and a branch line for the smaller engines with fiddle yard for the shunters.

Good to hear you've got some track underway, keen to see some of these trains pounding the rails.