How do I program my Bachmann DCC turnouts using JMRI/DecoderPro and a SPROG III

Started by robyockey, May 04, 2015, 02:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robyockey

I am new to DCC and have several Bachmann DCC turnouts that I am trying to program and run using a SPROG III with JMRI.  Anyone have instructions on how to do this?

thanks

Rob

robyockey

Thanks for the quick reply.  While I did not find anything in the link, I did figure this out with some advice from the JMRI forum.  Turns out it was really easy.

With DecoderPro linked to the track with the SPROG III.  All that was required was to:
1. press the programming button on the turnout for 2 sec to place it into programming mode, (turnout flips twice)
2. send a "thrown" command from DecoderPro "Actions > Turnout Control > Thrown" after setting the desired address
3. Turnout responds that programming was successful by flipping 4 times

Once I did this, the turnouts worked well in both DecoderPro and PanelPro applications.

Now I have a new issue (this is documented in the turnout manual).  Once the turnout is programmed from the NMRA-compliant controller (DecoderPro with SPROG) it no longer works with a EZ-command controller.  You have to reprogram all the turnouts if you want to switch between the two systems.  Currently I only have 6 turnouts in my small layout so it can be done.  But I want to grow to a half dozen turnouts and that will become an issue.  I really like to switch between to two systems depending on what I am doing.  Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks

Rob