Old train set-engine won't go

Started by Ihaveanelectrictrainset, May 08, 2015, 06:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihaveanelectrictrainset

Hi! I dug out my train set from the early 1980's, everything's great except the engine. When the power is on, it wants to run like normal when either the back set or the front set of wheels are in contact with the track, but not when both are connected. It worked fine all those years ago, and was so much fun to play with. If anyone has experienced this symptom and knows how to fix it I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

jbrock27

What make and model is this locomotive?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Satnik

Ihaets,

I would guess that your front truck is turned around 180 degrees.

Joe

Edit: Added "180 degrees".

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Ihaveanelectrictrainset

Thanks for your replies. As far as make and model, jbrock I think it's a DD40X 16 wheel diesel. Joe, it doesn't look like it's possible to reverse the trucks (either of them). A similar thought occured to me as well.

Joe Satnik

In which direction does it want to run when the front wheels are lifted, back wheels in contact?

Which direction for the front in contact, and the back lifted?

Has someone worked on the loco since the '80s?

Thanks.

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ACY

It sounds like you have a short circuit which could have a variety of sources.

Ihaveanelectrictrainset

When front is lifted front wheels want to go backward. When back lifted wants to go forward. Odd...  No, it has never been worked on, to my knowledge.

richardl

Quote from: Ihaveanelectrictrainset on May 08, 2015, 10:33:30 PM
Thanks for your replies. As far as make and model, jbrock I think it's a DD40X 16 wheel diesel. Joe, it doesn't look like it's possible to reverse the trucks (either of them). A similar thought occured to me as well.

Below is the diagram for the 1990 model which should be what you have. Just a guess. I would agree, does not look like either truck would swivel.
There are instructions for pulling the shell.

http://www.hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmanndd40xdiagram1990.jpg

Rich

Joe Satnik

Pull the shell and check the wiring.  

Each motor should have a "dotted" terminal, and a "non-dotted" terminal.

The left wheel power should connect to a dotted terminal on one truck, and the non-dotted terminal on the other truck.

The right wheel power should connect to the non-dotted terminal on (the same) one truck, and the dotted terminal on the other truck.

Joe

Edit: Spelling

jward

one of the trucks should have non powered wheels. take the cover off this truck and turn all the wheelsets around. this should eliminate the short circuit,
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Ihaets,

Your make/model must be different than the diagram linked by Rich.

You stated: "When front is lifted front wheels want to go backward",

which leads me to believe that both trucks have motors,

yet the Bachmann DD40X diagram shows that the front trucks are non-powered.

Is this a Bachmann train set, or some other manufacturer?

What is the (road) number on the side of the loco shell?

Do you still have the set box?  If so, what is the manufacturer, set name and set number?

If not, check for a manufacturer's name on the bottom of the loco and all other pieces of the set.

Thanks.

Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik

Ihaets,

Wow, this HO seeker website is quite useful.

http://hoseeker.net/bachmanninformation/bachmanncatalog1987pg06.jpg

Is this your loco?

I didn't notice a set that included the DD40X in the few years of catalogs that HO seeker has posted, only separate sale.

Is your DD40X from your set?

Regardless, it would help if you had some kind of padded cradle to hold your loco upside down for troubleshooting.

You could build a "U" shaped channel out of scrap wood and throw a towel over it for padding.

Another possibility, a long shoe box.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

jbrock27

Quote from: Joe Satnik on May 09, 2015, 09:08:48 AM

Your make/model must be different than the diagram linked by Rich.

Is this a Bachmann train set, or some other manufacturer?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik

This is why I thought it important to ask my question yesterday, from the get go before going further:

Quote from: jbrock27 on May 08, 2015, 06:54:04 PM
What make and model is this locomotive?

So far the response given has only included the model.

Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Satnik

From 1980 catalog:

http://hoseeker.net/bachmanninformation/bachmanncatalog1980pg22.jpg

Different than 1987 version.

Not sure why this copy-pasted link doesn't work. 

You can find it manually by going to the HO seeker site and working your way down to it.

Joe

jbrock27

Re: padded cradle

I made one from some black foam packing material that some computer items were delivered in.  Used a utility knife and a hot glue gun to make up a 2 piece cradle for locos and rolling stock.  Works well :)
Keep Calm and Carry On