News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-6-2

Started by MC, January 04, 2008, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I have no idea.  Check Walthers and e-Bay.  I've owned both of them for between five and ten years and they have 15 minutes running time, probably.  I'll probably use them on the Blue Ridge sub just to have a very primitive diesel fueling station - a couple of 55 gallon drums on a wooden rack and a hose and nozzel. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

robman

Re your enquiry about the Bachmann 2-6-6-2. I would just like to add my two cents worth. Although I don't have sound (yet) the loco is great. It pulls well and I have had no trouble with tracking through points (switches) both Atlas and Peco. I did have a drive train problem when I first got it, but I fixed that and it's now a hard working member on my roster. Rob,NZ.   
Modeling over there over here

r.cprmier

Just for giggles, I once upon a time wrote a brief synopsys of the history of my railroad. This contained a short history about my "ancestors" ( powerful Pierre, horsethief extrordinairre, Onery Octav; extortionist, Awful Albert, Protectionist (as in the protection racket), and their seats on the board of directors (sound familiar, all you New Haven fans?).

Part of the Synopsys was devoted to the how and why the road exists, which is as a bridge line across New England, co-existing with the New Haven, B&M, B&A, MEC, CV, and the Rutland-and actually making a profit!!!!  In this is a reason why the motive power is selected.  There are three articulated; two essentially the same gearing, and the third, a relatively low-geared beask (from Popeye).  Outside of revenue, the road is subsidized by a generous benefactor, who also owns an electrical operation somewhere in the bazooms of the Connecticut hills.

All of this is, of course, tongue in cheek; but it is all part of the fun.  Much can be rationalized, and legitimized by an over-active imagination (see Calvin and Hobbs) and too much time on one's hands...  With inspiration from the writings of the late Jim Findley as decrepit motivation nudging one on.

The motive power is selected as to what the product line to be hauled is, how many railcars per train, where said train is going.  The same approach is relative upon purchase of a locomotive.  The price being sort of right, a rebuild is generally started forthwith, to satisfy the demands that will be placed upon it, such as Elesco feedwater heaters on the bigger engines ( 0-4-0 or larger, standard or narrow gauge...)

I do hope this sheds some light upon the original question-and Gene, you are a turncoat!  (GP-9 indeed...Hrrmmphhh)!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
Most of my diesels were marked down at the Naval Base hobby shop - practically given away.  And I just couldn't have a railroad that gave trackage rights to the C&O in 1957 without having some C&O diesels. 
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"