News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 n Scale Jupiter

Started by whecsailor, May 21, 2015, 03:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whecsailor

Hi Bachmann,
  I have a DC western layout and I am swithing over to DCC. Please, is there any instructions on how to makes these DCC?  I have both the old and new versions of the 4-4-0's
If they cannot be made DCC, Does Bachmann have intentions to make these in DCC ??

thanks again
Mike Davis
Troy MI

ACY

The problem is insufficient space, that is the primaray reason why Bachmann has not made them with DCC and won't do so until they determine it is the right time to make a new mold and completely re-do everything. That would likely facilitate the ability to put the motor in the locomotive and the decoder in the tender where as the current design has a motor in the tender leaving very little to no room for a decoder.

My suggestion is to permanently couple a car to the locomotive and install the decoder inside there if you really need it to have DCC. The wires will have to go from the trailing car to the tender and you have to wire the trailing car for electrical pick up.

Old John

ACY

John I never said it was impossible to install DCC, just not very much room to work with. Performing that sort of work as illustrated in that link is not exactly an easy task for most people, but I give him credit for coming up with something that is fairly unique to fit the decoder.

Old John

ACY,

I owe you an apology, I meant my response to Whecsailor, it can be done, the gentleman in the link has chosen to complicate matters by adding a head light,but  but by cutting away the coal or wood pile you have the space for a decoder.  I have all of Bachmann's versions of the 4-4-0, as well as Atlas,  and Bachmann's  the first version is the most difficult because of the motor and it's pickup wiring.  The latest version is easy because it has a new motor and the wiring. Do not entertain any thoughts of sound in the locomotive or tender regardless of version or manufacturer.

I model the Civil War Era, in G Scale (indoors) and use the N Scale to run in the background which makes everything look very authentic.

TJ

I am not sure if this is relevant to this current subject .

> http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30180.0.html

TJ