News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N-scale 4-8-4 Northern ATSF

Started by jmtanz99, May 18, 2015, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmtanz99

I noticed that a new N-scale 4-8-4 Northern is listing as coming out in the future.  Will this new engine have DCC and sound like your recently released Berkshire?

ACY

It will not have sound or DCC. The N&W J class is "DCC Ready" however.

James in FL

Can you link to this announcement?
I must have missed it.

ACY

James there was no fancy announcement since Bachmann is simply doing another run of the 4-8-4 Northern which is no different than the previous run. On the Bachmann online store it is listed as "coming soon" or something to that effect. They would likely need all new tooling to do a sound version and that is probably cost prohibitive.

brokemoto

As B-mann is moving to factory decoders in everything, I would expect that if not in this issue, there will be in the future, at least an  upgrade of the tender to both poles live.   I do not have any of the newer issues, but the word on the street is that the latest issues are an improvement over past issues of this one.  If this thing continues to sell, I would espect that B-mann would bring it into line with its other products.

I do not run much large steam anymore, but if B-mann upgraded this, I would expect that its USRA 0-6-0 would receive an upgrade as well, to allow it to function well with a factory decoder.

kewatin

i agree with brokmoto, that their has been several upgrades done on this loco over the past yrs ie read mark's SPOOKSHOW reviews that the later ones appear to be good runners and if re released with dcc & sound utilizing both standard&vandy tenders could cover a lot of road names for the non rivet counters.also many of us have been waiting for a re release of the heavy mountain that came with dcc,so the addition of sound in the standard tender &some folks have even added sound to the vandy although a tight fit ,can be done..considering bachmann is one of the few mfg's giving us a good  line of new & assorted  stem engines the future looks very good.
regards&later  KEWATIN

ACY

I think everyone would like to see the 4-8-4 and 0-6-0 improved to accommodate DCC and possibly sound among other things. Regarding the upcoming 4-8-4, it has no noteworthy difference between what was produced a year or two ago. There would have been a big announcement if they were making upgrades such as adding DCC and/or sound or making it DCC ready.

kewatin

Yes acy you are correct ,any new loco announcements come on a yearly NMRA CONVENTION where most mfg's post upcoming news &releases. wonder if BACHMANN will do a n scale version of their new ho  mikado loco ,especially with mrc  offering  and updated 4-6-2 pacific &2-8-2 mikado with sound in n scale.its been over 10 yrs since kato released their 2-8-2 mikado &the market was flooded with them ,so don't think they will be doing a rerun on them any time soon.
regards&later kewatin