News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What is better, the 2-10-0 or 2-8-0

Started by sedfred, May 31, 2015, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

What is better in terms of detail and performance? There is a 2-10-0 still my local hobby shop for 270 dollars including tax, should I buy the 2-10-0 or 2-8-0? I cannot make up my mind!  I want them both! I currently am making money by mowing lawns for 17 bucks a week (I can't get a job yet) which one would better fit my budget? also the 2-10-0 is discontinued so should I get that one first? Also I heard the 2-10-0 has a bell that is made of actual brass, is this the same case on the 2-8-0? I also want to make enough money over the summer to buy an alco 2-6-0, which is on modeltrainstuff for 130ish dollars. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Trainman203

The 2-8-0 runs a lot better out of the box but still needs work.  The 2-10-0 has an underpowered motor and a mechanism engineering error allows the side rods  to bind on the cross heads.  Both of these problems are correctable, upon which the 2-10-0 is a very desirable engine.

That being said, to me the 2-10-0 is a much better detailed engine.  I like its looks because several of my favorite roads had them.  I have 5 of them, with two waiting remotoring.  The remotored ones run like champs, crawl like ants, and are my best switchers.  I have 7 2-8-0's, they all run like champs after receiving new tsunami decoders.  Both need CV adjustment for optimal performance.

Trainman203

The 2-10-0 probably won't be offerd again for awhile.  When that became apparent I bought 3 in addition to the 2 that I already had, wish I'd bought a couple more.

If I had to predict, I'd say that the  2-6-0 will probably  be around longer than the 2-8-0.  

Out of all of them the sound value 2-6-0 runs the best out of  the box.  I have 2, both got new tsunami decoders though.

DAVE2744

Trainman 203 - When you changed to the Tsunami decoders, did that give you the silky smooth start motion typical of a steam loco?  I have tried several CV changes, but my  B'mann Mogul wants to go from 0 to 2 mph right now!  My Rivarossi Hiesler will crawl so slow you almost can't see it move.  Same for my B'mann  Shay.  Dave

Trainman203

try these cv settings:  cv2- 0, cv209 - 50, cv210 - 4, cv116 (chuff) -  150.  With a light steam Tsunami mine crawls with those settings.  You may need to adjust slightly differently up or down but those oughta do it for you.

The settings for the sound value decoder were different but adjusting those same cv' s on it got the engine to  crawl too.  I am sorry I did not keep them to pass on.  Setting cv 2 to 0 helps from the get go.

rogertra

I just program mine using JMRI, which you can download for free.

You don't need to know what all the CVs are nor what they do, JMRI knows them all so you just go by name, like adjust chuff volume, adjust bell rate, adjust bell level without knowing the CVs.  Makes life much easier.

Cheers

Roger T.

readingrr

Trainman203:  When you changed to Tsunami decoders, where did you find the 8 pin in-line plug that is required to match the loco's 8 hole receiver under the cab?  Or did you rewire the loco to put in the standard NMRA 8pin (4 x 4) plug?  I have four of these 2-6-0's  with the OEM " sound value" sound, one of which I managed to fry several of the wires from the decoder( due to an undetected short) and I've been looking for a replacement.  I know the Tsunami decoder (probably one of the TSU 1000's) which would be appropriate, but I haven't been able to find the plug to match the locos.

sedfred

we are going a bit off topic here, i want to know what's better, the 2-8-0 or 2-10-0! in terms of detail and performance! also, what do you think are the chances of the 2-10-0 coming back?

GN.2-6-8-0

The 2-8-0 is the better puller as for looks and detail their pretty much even,chances of the Decapod being done again is slim at best but I guess the old saying goes ,never say never.
Rocky Lives

sedfred

also how long does anyone think the 2-8-0 and 2-6-0 will last? I WANT THEM ALL! so many lovely locomotives but so little money! another gorgeous locomotive i would love to own is the 4-6-0, i don't think i ever will though. also i started a previous topic about the 2-10-0 and if it could be brought back, i got a reply from yardmaster, here it is: "There are no plans to bring it back at the moment. Perhaps sometime in the future..." do the periods at the end imply something? the way it is written makes it seem that way!

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: sedfred on June 01, 2015, 11:46:20 AM
also how long does anyone think the 2-8-0 and 2-6-0 will last? I WANT THEM ALL! so many lovely locomotives but so little money! another gorgeous locomotive i would love to own is the 4-6-0, i don't think i ever will though. also i started a previous topic about the 2-10-0 and if it could be brought back, i got a reply from yardmaster, here it is: "There are no plans to bring it back at the moment. Perhaps sometime in the future..." do the periods at the end imply something? the way it is written makes it seem that way!

I wouldn't know about the 2-6-0 personally as I don't own one. However I do have 2 of the 2-8-0. One is a Spectrum line Rock Island one as well as a Standard line Union Pacific one and the Spectrum line one runs like a champ and has served as a reliable member of my railway for about 6 years and continues to run like new. The standard line version however is a good engine like the Spectrum version but it could benefit from a soundtraxx decoder in terms of slow speed performance. I however expect them both to last for a long time. My dad had an old smoke unit fitted Reading 2-8-0 from bachmann from around the 1970's or 1980's and it spent around ten or fifteen years in a box and when I discovered it in a box in the basement and placed it on the track and supplied power to the old motor, it came to life and worked well. I made the mistake of trying to get it to pull a train that was too heavy for the old engine though.

rogertra

I have three 2-10-0s, one of one version and two of the second version, their valve gear differs,  and more than eight 2-8-0s.

One of the 2-10-0s I picked up last year. 

If you do a search on the 2-10-0 you'll find people have had lots of issues with this model.  On every one of the 2-10-0s I've had trouble with the wiring harness.  The wires seem poorly soldered to the circuit board and pull free at the slightest opportunity.  On the two older ones, the gears disengaged owning to the poor casting of the metal chassis, an issue that has been mentioned on this group before and it doesn't help with the motor being somewhat loosely mounted.  Then there's the binding valve motion issue, driving wheel pick up issues and a few olther reoccuring problems.

With the 2-10-0 is seems to be one of those models that either runs great right out of the box or quickly develops problems, usually in the 'run in' period.

I do like my 2-10-0s but they can be finicky.

Personally, unless you are comfortable taking steam apart, I'd stick with the 2-8-0 but I cannot comment on the "Standard" version only the Spectrum version as I haven't purchased any "Standard" versions, only Spectrum.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Sedfred there is never enough money for model railroading.  If I were you, here's what I'd do:

Buy the 2-10-0 right now and sock  it away for future shopping to get it to run right. The pleasure is deferred but once that engine is right you will  love it.  I'd get it now since it probably won't be re issued for a pretty long time.  I don't look at eBay but they may appear there from time to time.  That engine won't last long in the store I'd get it now, if you can stand investing for the future like that.  Be mindful that the remotoring and decoder work needed to be a great runner will cost a couple of hundred if you aren't up for doing it yourself, I myself am not even after years in model railroading, I pay people to do stuff like that.

Then ,I'd get the 2-6-0 next because they run great out of the box.  They can, like all engines, be tweaked some but you'll get immediate great operation.  This would be your reward for waiting on the decapod.

The. 2-8-0 is last in the acquisition sequence  because it will probably be around a pretty good while.  It has been a very popular engine for probably about 20 years now.  The current version needs a new decoder to run well but once that's in, it is a killer operator.

Let us know what you do.

Trainman203

Sedfred I have 5 of the 4-6-0's in both versions.  The DCC / sound versions are killer right out of the box.  I agree they need to come back.  When they were discontinued about 4 years ago they sold out everywhere in a month or less as I recall.  I hurried up and bought two more in the last week, I do recall getting the very last one at Walthers.

One engine  that's still around is the Baldwin 4-4-0.  I have a couple and the only thing wrong with them is that the sound is too quiet, can't be turned up,enough.  They are beautiful pieces though.

sedfred

Whenever I see all these nice discontinued engines it makes me wish I had started the hobby earlier! I have decided I want the 2-10-0 but I just hope I will still have time to buy the 2-8-4, 2-8-0, 2-6-0, and the 0-6-0 porter with side tanks. After that my voracious appetite for
steam locomotives will be temporarily satisfied. Not literally though or I would probably choke!