Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

I have:

2 of the standard version 2-8-0
1 of the Spectrum 2-8-2
1 of the Spectrum 4-4-0
1 of the 2-8-4
1 Spectrum Sound (my only sound one) 2-10-0
and a Spectrum f40 that I got because it was NJ transit, even though I almost never use it

As a side note, I also have an IHC 4-6-2 that I've gotten running well

I love the 2-10-0, got it for about 180. That said, it has it's fair share of issues. It is VERY sensitive to dirty track, the running gear binds up rarely, and the pony truck took fiddling with to get it to stop coming off the rails. it also has trouble crawling in reverse for some reason. Even with all that though, I love it.

I had another one non-sound and it was problematic from the get go, I did a few repairs to get it running but eventually it broke down again and I sent it in, it was replaced with that 4-4-0. It is my understanding that the early runs were touch and go, either it worked or it didn't.

My favorite locomotive of them all is the SY, the 2-8-2. Those are hard to track down but they are very nice. I'd love to make it my second sound locomotive but I cannot afford the decoder and speaker. College really puts a strain on the funds. I'd love to track down a 4-6-0 as well, and maybe a 2-6-0 though I'm not sure, it is a little small for me (the 4-4-0, beautiful as it is, rarely gets run as it just doesn't fit).

What I really need is to make a display shelf in my room to put some of my locos on. the yard is really congested considering i have 8 locomotives on a 4*8 layout!
Modeling NYC in N

sedfred

I wonder if any of the engines on my wish list are likely to be discontinued before I can get my hands on them, I will probably get 3 new locomotives this year, maybe 4 if I'm lucky. I will get the 2-10-0, then the 2-6-0 with my own money. Then I will try to get the 2-8-0 for Xmas and with my Christmas money buy the 2-8-4. Do you think any of these engines be discontinued by then?

rogertra

When it comes to locomotive purchases, I always go for the fleet look rather than the one off look.

I have several of every wheel arrangement my railway needs rather than one of everything.

For example, I have over eight 2-8-0s that I've modified with three types of tender.  Four with the original tender, two with the original tender shortened by three scale feet and two with clear vision tenders from P2K 0-8-0 switchers.  The engines with the original tenders will eventually be used as helpers while the modified tenders will be used on way freights.

I have at least two or three of each of the heavy and light 4-8-2s, four 4-6-0s in two versions, three kitbashed 2-10-0s with two version of valve gear, two Athearn 2-8-2s, two Athearn 4-6-2s, three heavily kitbash IHC 2-10-2s and finally two Alco 2-6-0s.  I may have lost count as most of these locos are still packed away awaiting sound decoders

The only engines I have one off are a P2K 0-8-0 and 0-6-0 switcher and an Alco S4 diesel switcher.  I have single switchers as it wasn't and still isn't uncommon to see, in smaller yards, only one of a kind switcher working.

At one point, just after they were introduced, the only steam I had were three or four of the Spectrum 2-8-0s as no other rtr plastic steam loco came anywhere near their detailing and running quality.

As for diesels?  Lets just say I have multiple copies of GP7s, GP9s, FA-1s, FA-2s, RS-1s, RS-2s, RS-3s, RS-18s (Kitbashed from RS-11s) F3As and F7As and F7Bs.  Most of these diesels operate in permanent consists as they are used mainly on through freight and through passenger trains.  These through trains run from staging yard to staging yard and, in the case of the through freights, only set out and lift cuts of cars from the main yard.

My advice to modellers hoping to be somewhat prototypical in their modelling is to select an era, select a prototype, buy only locos with your prototype's road name and only locos that your chosen prototype actually used and, if you model the caboose era, buy only cabooses with your chosen road name. 

In the long run, this will save you money and regrets.

Even if you decide to freelance, like I did, still follow what the prototypes in your chosen modelling area and era did.  If you read the project model railroad articles they build for "Model Railroader" magazine, you will notice they also stick to the above guide lines, which is why their project model railroads, even the dreaded 4 x 8s, look so good.  Their motive power is not a mish-mash of eras and road names.

However, if you just prefer to buy and run what you like, that's your choice, there are no laws in this hobby.  I'm just writing this as an example of my personal guide lines that I think have helped me select only the models that fit in with my model railroad's era and locale and therefore, in the long run, have saved me money and stopped, for the most part, impulse buying.

Cheers

Roger T.

sedfred

i mainly want to use locomotives that were used in the 1950's, but i want to buy engines  from different eras as i am not a prototypical kind of guy, i want to make a layout that could represent different time periods therefore i could use everything from tiny 4-4-0s to ES44ACs. some people might not agree with that but one guy in my hobby shop said no one should tell me how to use my layout. i agree with that, i am not saying anyone is trying to do that but it would be slightly annoying. of course i won't run 4-4-0s with gevos. but i will still collect them both. at the end of the day i just enjoy my hobby and that's all that matters.

Trainman203

Sedfred, don't forget that the Bach Man is about to offer what looks like a very nice USRA 2-8-2.  I'd get that instead of the 2-8-4.  USRA engines are prototypes that many, many roads had.  The 2-8-4 is a very specific Nickel Plate engine.  The  2-8-2 will look better on a small layout, and probably be mechanically better too.

All the Bach Man's steam engines except the 1880 4-4-0 are suitable for use right up to 1960, and beyond that if you model a short line.

sedfred

When will the 2-8-2 be released? If I like it enough I may buy it instead of the 2-8-4, although I will try to get the 2-8-4 still. I wonder what the detail will be like in comparison to the Broadway limited 2-8-2, I do really like the bli one! I hope the bachmann one will be just as nice. Will it probably be comparable to the 2-8-4 in terms of detail? Also it seems like some of the people on this forum seem to be billionaires, it seems like rogertra has a couple of every type of locomotive ever made!!!!!! I
would love to have that many locomotives! I'm sorry but I couldn't help but notice that!

rogertra

Quote from: sedfred on June 02, 2015, 11:59:10 PM
When will the 2-8-2 be released? If I like it enough I may buy it instead of the 2-8-4, although I will try to get the 2-8-4 still. I wonder what the detail will be like in comparison to the Broadway limited 2-8-2, I do really like the bli one! I hope the bachmann one will be just as nice. Will it probably be comparable to the 2-8-4 in terms of detail? Also it seems like some of the people on this forum seem to be billionaires, it seems like rogertra has a couple of every type of locomotive ever made!!!!!! I
would love to have that many locomotives! I'm sorry but I couldn't help but notice that!

sedfred.

Believe me, I'm far, far from a billionaire.  Remember, I started purchasing my current Spectrum, Atlas, P2K, Kato and Genesis locomotives back in the late 1990s, when I had a pretty good paying job.  It takes time to build up a fleet of locomotives.  Even back then,  I was very selective on what locomotives I purchased and yes, they were ones from the "better" manufacturers and only ones that would have been seen in the area I model and suitable for the era I model.  I never purchase anything just because it's "cool" or looks good.  If it's not good for 1958, I just ignore it.  That's why I do not have any 2-8-4s nor any articulated steam as they didn't run in my area.  Ditto any diesels that were not around in 1958 or, again, did not run on my area so, no Baldwins for example.  Ditto for freight cars, passenger cars and even down to road vehicles and the lettering fonts on buildings and road markings and sign posts.

Now I'm semi-retired and have a very limited budget so my purchases are even more selective.  Last loco I purchased was a 2-10-0 and that was the in Spring of 2014 and mainly because it was going for Can$150, IIRC, an excellent price.

Like many people I'm waiting the release of the 2-8-2 and, if it comes up to the details and running quality I have come to demand of my locos, then I'll buy two to go along with my two Genesis 2-8-2s but if it falls below Spectrum standards, then I'll give it a miss.

This is why I encourage people to pick an era and a region rather then just run a mish-mash of equipment.  It makes you focus on what you really 'need' to purchase and cuts down on impulse buying thus both saving you money and directs you into making wise decisions on what you do purchase.  Oh, and always purchase quality, not the introductory or toy level models and you will not be disappointed a few months later when the train set gear gives up the ghost.

Cheers

Roger T.

sedfred

That makes sense and I only started the hobby a year and a half ago. I am now starting to move away from buying starter sets and am now buying individual locomotives, I hope that my starter set stuff lasts long. My 0-6-0 has worked fine without any problems the whole time, as well as my other stuff. How can i distinguish between toy like and quality models? By any chance would the 2-8-4 and 2-6-0 be considered quality models or should I pass on those? I have seen people who say they are low quality junk and some people saying that they are awesome, is it kinda a hit or miss thing? Is it either you get a good model or ya don't? Also I do want to model the late 1950s, I have a sw1500 in burlington northern scheme but the locomotive is from the 1960s I think. Do you think it too far off from my era?

jonathan

sedfred,

As you are relatively new, I offer what I have discovered over the years.

All locomotives from all manufactures require a certain amount of 'tinkering' to make them run smoothly.  The 0-6-0 is generally considered one of those entry level locos.  However, it is a well engineered model, and with some added pickups in the tender, it can run very well. I use mine for everyday use. They keep on truckin'...

Even Spectrum level locos require little tweaks. I have 6 2-8-0 Connies which I use regularly. They run great after little adjustments here and there. I have representative models from the first Spectrum Connie with white connectors, to the Sound onboard versions, to the latest standard DCC versions. All are great models that perform well. Can't say enough good things about the 2-8-0.

The 2-8-4 is likewise a great model.  I installed a Tsunami in it and never had a problem after adjustments. I ultimately sold that one as it didn't fit in my scheme.

Can't speak to the 2-6-0 and 2-10-0 as I never owned any.  I suspect (and have read) they, too, require a little work to get them running well.  I won't comment on the big locos, as it appears you are looking to stay small.

After a little tinkering experience, you will find most locos can be made to run well.

Regards,

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

like with most, i have a 2-10-0 i had to do some tweaks to, but once that was fixed(contacts were creating a short from bowing downward) it ran just as well as the 2-8-0. I would have gotten another 2-10-0 but since i model a Class 1 Railroad they are a bit slow for it, and the only 2-10-0s B&O had were from obsured lines and were quickly sold or retired(they were also not Russian Decapods).

I like the one I got, I need to replace the headlight in it tho, it burnt out.
I also have 5 of the 2-8-0s, only work done to them was customization(Changed the headlights to high headlights on all by 1, and added details)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jbrock27

Quote from: sedfred on June 03, 2015, 09:24:01 AM
How can i distinguish between toy like and quality models?

Price is one way.

Quote from: jonathan on June 03, 2015, 09:45:59 AM
All locomotives from all manufactures require a certain amount of 'tinkering' to make them run smoothly.

I don't agree as I have not found this to be the case.  A lot is dependent on the manufacturer and the model.  Many models run fine with no issues right outta da box.

Quote from: jonathan on June 03, 2015, 09:45:59 AM
After a little tinkering experience, you will find most locos can be made to run well.

I can agree with this statement.  The key is being competent in tinkering abilities.  For example, knowing which way brushes are positioned in certain motors, which wires go where, what one side of the loco does vs the other, what a tender does or does not do, wheel gauge, etc.  Concepts are important.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

They do but IIRC, the Broadway Limited Decapod is a model of a PRR 2-10-0, a VERY different beast than the small russian 2-10-0. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 2-6-6-2 (though I have no means of running one) but the models are NOT the same.
Modeling NYC in N

electrical whiz kid

Bmann;
I have three standard gauge articulated engines; two are from Bachmann; one is by Mantua; all are gems!  (I also own a PFM 2-6-6-2 in HOn3).  I installed "Tsunami" sound in all of them, as soon as I received them, and one fine day, will find time to refine the parameters of each...
Aside from greasing and oiling the drive components, I have never had to "tinker" with them-or much any Bachmann product I own, as they are happy little cretins right out of the box, for that matter.
I, in my capacity as a modeler have heartily endorsed Bachmann's "Spectrum" line, and am sorry to see it ended, opting instead, for what comes down to being a lesser quality product to market; albeit a good little product nonetheless.  I personally believe it is a bad move on their part, but then again, I am just a dumb-assed electrical contractor; what would I know about their business?.
I also own similar product from several other manufacturers; and, seeing their quality get better, I wonder where the logic in this move really is.  I'd love to find out.
I will, however, make a case:  to see Bachmann produce a small locomotive like an 0-4-0 A-6 (Pennsy), even with what will be Bachmann's lesser quality.  This particular model has been done by several companies; the best-in my opinion- being by John English (Bowser). 
I believe this particular model would be well-received, even though it wouldn't necessarily be "Spectrum" line; the drive rod system, I am sure, would be better than that of others of lesser quality.

Rich C.
SGT C.

guslcp

I agree on the SY...Beautiful loco, though not much of a puller...I use it around the yard mostly...

electrical whiz kid

Has anyone beside my "Americanized" an SY mike?  Photos perhaps?  Hey Roger; what have you got there?
Rich
SGT C.