News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What is better, the 2-10-0 or 2-8-0

Started by sedfred, May 31, 2015, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Some tourist road in New England did it to a prototype SY, maybe the "Valley" railroad?  Made it a replica of s New Haven engine.  PF

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on June 07, 2015, 12:12:04 PM
Has anyone beside my "Americanized" an SY mike?  Photos perhaps?  Hey Roger; what have you got there?
Rich
SGT C.

Rich.

Sorry buddy, I've thought about it but never did do anything.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
I have two; one has never come out of the carton, and probably some cold snowy day this coming (and it is...) winter...
Rich

Irbricksceo

Wouldn't dream of it, I love how it looks (same for the 2-10-0 actually). Don't get me wrong, I get why some people Americanize em and have tons of respect for how well rogerta did on his decapods (I can't recall ever seeing pics of your SY's rich) but I adore the look of the little thing.
Modeling NYC in N

sedfred

i have one question, not for a particular person but anyone who knows, does the 2-10-0 have multiple whistles? i have seen videos of them and some roadnames have different whistles, one has a deeper whistle which i like better but the one i want has a less preferable whistle, can i change it to the other one?

rogertra

Quote from: sedfred on June 07, 2015, 05:03:01 PM
i have one question, not for a particular person but anyone who knows, does the 2-10-0 have multiple whistles? i have seen videos of them and some roadnames have different whistles, one has a deeper whistle which i like better but the one i want has a less preferable whistle, can i change it to the other one?

The 2-10-0 has three available whistles.

1)  Reading 6 Chime.

2)  Baltimore & Ohio 3 chime

3)  Colorado & Southern No. 801.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Sedfred, what road name is the decapod you are getting?  Or what road would you want it to be?  I've studied steam whistles for years , I can help you pick out the most prototypical one.  Of course, you can always just pick out the one you like best.

To me the Reading 6 chime is the most typical American whistle .  It's sort of mis named, actually sounds more like generic 5 chimes used all over the country on almost all roads.  I model the Missouri Pacific and use it on many of my engines.  The B&O 3 chime is an older whistle, and of a sound mostly found before WWI and in the east and south.  I only have it on a couple of small engines lettered for southern roads.  The C&S 801 is a really coarse deep steamboaty 5 chime, you can hear the exact sound on the Milwaukee Road an old railroad movie on YouTube called "Danger Lights".  It's my least favorite of those three, and the short blasts are very widely spaced, making good signaling difficult.  I use it from time to time but always go back to something else after awhile.

You can listen to the sound samples of all of Soundtraxx 's   whistles on their we site.  You can easily change the whistle using cv 115.  We can tell you how if you need it.

Irbricksceo

I have mine set to B&O 3 chime I think, I rather liked the 801 whistle but the short whistle had some issues. Actually, my favorite Tsunami whistle is the CNJ 3 chime but only a full medium steam decoder has that, the built in one does not. If I ever get the money to put sound in my SY 2-8-2, that is the one I'm putting in. (Actually, that and a Reading 6 chime were the ones it has carried most frequently during its time on the Bel Del.
Modeling NYC in N

sedfred

Trainman203, The 2-10-0 i want is the erie one, the reason i am writing the reply like this is because i couldn't
figure out the quote thing for the life of me. i do not know a thing as i am a silly newbie! also this is kinda off topic but my username has nothing to do with right said fred. it's something i accidentally typed. and my name isn't fred either, just saying for future reference so no one accidentally calls me fred.

jbrock27

It is just in good nature chief.  When I see your handle, the first thing I think of, is Right Said Fred.  If it is truly bothersome to you, just give the word and I won't refer to you as such any further :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

sedfred

it doesn't annoy me, i just don't want people thinking it came from that band or whatever. i just want people to know that i came up with it by myself. you can still call me that if you want.

Trainman203

Sedfred it is not silly to be a newbie.  We all were once, and we all asked the same questions. What ever you want or need to to know just ask  and one of us will help you as best we can.

I'm going to find  a photo of an Erie decapod, see what kind of whistle it has, and tell you what would be the closest Soundtraxx whistle sound.

sedfred

I really like both of those whistles. Now I just have to pick between then. How do you change the whistles? I think I might just switch them once in a while. One month I'll use the reading 6 Chime and the next month use the c&s one. Also I swore I heard something about the locomotive coming with another smokebox front. I think it said it also has one with a  headlight in the middle of the smokebox. Is this true or did I make it
up in my mind?

Trainman203

What kind of DCC system are you operating with?  Will it allow cv changes.?  Sedfred if you run with DCC you simply must have a system that lets you change cv settings of everything, not just whistles.  Once we find out if you can do it, I'll show you how, it is easy, a process that gets easier as you do it.  Don't let the hundreds of cv's bamboozle you.  I only use about 8 or 9 and I have great prototypical sound and operation.  FYI, I change my whistle frequently , some times during operating.

Check the Bach man's decapod parts list.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_158

Doesn't look like a smoke box front is available separately.  You might call Bachman repairs.  They may have a junker around they can cannibalize.