why no steam engine feedwater heater,especially ELESCO on most locos

Started by kewatin, June 05, 2015, 03:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewatin

i have always been impressed with the massive heavy duty look of a steam engine with an ELESCO feedwater heater on it.sure they  are available on pricey brass models but none on past plastic &metal releases.
there are 3 main types of feedwater heaters #1 open feedwater type=WORTHINGTON
#2closed type=ELESCO my favourite& #3coffin type. i know that minitures by ERIC  makes parts,but not all of us have the skills for installing &doing the piping, maybe because of this ,is why mfg's stay away from these because of tooling costs.since the 1930's most locomotives came with feedwaters as it was a way of enhancing performance.the last model i remember seeing these on were IHC 0-6-0 HARBOR BELT  switcher many ,many yrs ago. sure would be nice if some of these mfg;s would make more of these locos with feedwater heaters on them. i am curious as to what the rest of you folks think.
regards&later KEWATIN

James in FL

It's a road specific detail and would add cost.
I have used some GHQ kits on another manufacturers mikes.
I did three, I like the result. It adds considerable delicacy to the models, but looks great.
My eyesight is good and I don't shake, and I can do this easy enough on my own if I wish.

Have a read here, very informative, it's not a difficult task;
http://www.ghqmodels.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3301

you can do this

Good luck

brokemoto

The old B-mann Standard Line 2-8-0, that was based on a Reading Company I-9 or I-10, I forget which, now.   It came with an Elesco feedwater heater.  I have done a test fit of the shell onto the SPECTRUM power chassis.   It looks like it will go, but it will require some work.

kewatin

thank you james for your reply&link.i certainly envy you that you have the capabilities to do your locos,but for me with 2 lens implants&75 yrs young it is now beyond my  capacity to do.as i model cn,cp, grand trunk,&central vermont ,most all of there locos had elesco boiler top mounted feedwater heaters. but again they seem to come standard for many roads after 1930..so i guess perhaps i was right in the beginning ,that it is a tooling &mfg cost that mfg's don't wish to do.
regards&later kewatin