News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large train pain...

Started by keith1562, June 08, 2015, 12:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith1562

Hello,  I am a newbie on this site (forum)so please be gentle.  On other forums I'm on I ask alot of stupid questions, but end up learning alot.  My Father inlaw has been big on trains since he was a kid living in the "Golden" age of post WWII America.  He loves O gauge Lionel trains the most, & his collection is enviable .  He also likes HO trains from any quality manufacturer.  Recently he has aquired a Bachmann "Garden" train. I haven't seen it yet but I know a few things he shared.  His train is a Bachmann 4-6-0 engine with Tender.  I also know that he believes it is battery operated.  However, he has not been able to figure out how to install the battery or even where it goes on his Garden train.  Any insight on the battery issue would be very much appreciated.
I welcome any & all input.
Thank You,
Keith S.
P.S. are battery operated large train batteries usually rechargeable?

Chuck N

Does he have a box with a model/style number?  That might help.

I have the original Big Hauler 4-6-0 set.  It had plastic wheels and the batteries were in the boiler.  As I recall, it haven't looked at it in over 20 years, the firebox in the cab opened up and you could put the batteries in there.  It was either 4 D or C cells.

This engine was radio controlled.  I think that they quickly went to track power with metal wheels, as there were problems with the original set.  Bachmann has been continually making improvements on this engine; motor, gears, metal rods, pilot truck, etc.  The current engine I believe is version 5 or 6.  It is reported to be an excellent engine.  I don't have one so that is what I have heard here and on other sites.

If the engine is a more recent version, it is possible that a previous owner converted it from track power to battery power.  That is why a model number would be helpful.

We use rechargable batteries in our engines.  I use 18 v Lithium-ion batteries on my battery radio controlled engines, however most of my engines are track powered.  Some use 14v batteries.

Chuck

PS depending upon your specific engine, Bachmann has upgraded chaises available for a modest price.  If you have the original 4-6-0 I'm not sure if they have a replacement.  If your engine is able to use a rebuilt chassis, do it.  It is motor, gears, wheels.  It is a major upgrade. 

veetwelve

Hi Keith,

Check out the 5th topic on this web page... it addresses the original Bachmann Big Hauler 4-6-0, which was battery powered.  If nothing else, it will be a great education in what was the first iteration of an iconic product line!

Good luck,
Jay

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#rc