News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mikado detail

Started by Bucksco, June 12, 2015, 09:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: rogertra on June 16, 2015, 08:55:11 AM
Truth be told, all and I mean all HO scale sound systems sound like a 1960s tinny transistor radio, with no real base line, hence the awful tinny sound of the prime mover and steam engine chuff.

If most YouTube videos are to be believed, most modellers have the sound way too loud, which doesn't improve the tinny sound effects, and do not know how to correctly use the whistle and bell.

Cheers

Roger T.

Thats the main reason I don't like sound, it sounds too high pitched, espically in steam engines. It doesn't have that deep sound to it like the real thing.

The other reason is the price of it.

Quote from: ACY on June 14, 2015, 04:17:24 PM
Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on June 14, 2015, 11:46:46 AM
I've gotten 4 from other manufactures(3 from one, 1 from another) but I'd like to get a bachmann one. But they are only doing my road with sound, and I don't do sound so i wont be buying one.  :'(
3 easy solutions:
1. Remove the sound decoder and speaker
2. Mute it
3. Program the CVs to disable the sound

Quote from: austrian on June 14, 2015, 04:45:08 AM
Dear Bachmann, could you please post a foto [sic] of the loco on a 20" radius? I would like to see how this loco looks on smaller curves.
Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on June 14, 2015, 09:07:05 AM
there is a video of the engine on Facebook under the bachmann account. I believe it shows it on 18 inch radius curves. Might be on 22 inch radius though. Hard to tell.

The video is 22 inch radius I think, I saw a 22 inch manufacturer's recommended minimum radius listed for this locomotive.

Sorry i missed your post ACY, but why should i pay $400(MSRP) with sound when I could get the same engine for $80 less without? Why pay for something I'm not going to use and probably get thrown away?
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Bucksco

Before the discussion goes off on a tangent - Some folks like sound and some don't. There is NO right or wrong. If the version you want is not available the way you want it you will need to be patient and wait for it to be released in the other version or do some paint work. One advantage of the Sound Value version is that it is DCC. The majority of our customers prefer the dual mode decoder so that they have the DC/DCC option. 

ACY

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on June 16, 2015, 09:09:00 AM
Sorry i missed your post ACY, but why should i pay $400(MSRP) with sound when I could get the same engine for $80 less without? Why pay for something I'm not going to use and probably get thrown away?
If you remove the sound and speaker then you can easily sell it to recoup the price difference. Why would anyone in their right mind throw away a perfectly good decoder and speaker that has a value of around $50-100? Nothing is prohibiting you from selling the decoder and speaker if you don't want them. It only takes about 30 minutes to remove the decoder and speaker and get everything sorted.

Bucksco

To those who have asked about the trailing truck on this loco. Our product development director confirms that the trailing trucks will be appropriate for the specific road names.

ebtnut

OK, that's very good news.  Thanks, YM.

ryeguyisme

despite my original disappointment that it was another USRA prototype I will say I am excited that this is a standard line locomotive which means I could buy more in hopes of using the chassis for many projects lined up. I really like the way it looks! Will be looking forward to picking up a few. I was going to use spectrum 2-10-2 frames and chop them down to a 2-8-2 configuration because I like the  running gear on those. But now that bachmann is coming out with this mikado I'm most excited for easier projects! ;D