News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Metal Wheels vs Plastic Wheels

Started by Trackman Ed, June 20, 2015, 06:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

I know it does Sarge, it's why I bought one ::)

None taken, but c'mon, I know you were talkin to me, you've gotten me mixed up with someone else before... ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on June 23, 2015, 07:42:29 PM
Quote from: rogertra on June 22, 2015, 09:41:08 PM
Must get me a truck tuner.

Roger T.

Roger, I have the Micro Mark version and I was curious today to compare it to the one Reboxx sells, so I did some snooping online.  One guy on the MRR Forum made the statement the Reboxx one was longer and the Micro Mark version was too short to fit in Accurail and Athearn trucks.  Someone else on the MRH Forum said just the opposite, that the Micro Mark one was longer.  ??? ::)  Finally, someone on that Forum measured the 2 and reported the Micro Mark one was longer.

Thanks for the update, I guess it's gonna be Micro-Mark.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Actual measurements:

Micro-Mark Truck Turner: 25.86 mm

Current Reboxx Exxact Tool: 23.51 mm

The Micro-Mark truck tuner is based on the original Reboxx tool, both of which conform to the NMRA axle length RP.

According to Reboxx, "The current design of Exxact Tool was made a little shorter to make it easier to insert them into the side-frame and remove them from the same. The trick in usung them is to make sure that when you squeeze the side-frames together, you align the side-frame which is being cut so that it is perpendicular to the axis of the cutting tool. A little more pressure needs to be applied than was necessary with previous longer tool."

So there are in fact two different length Reboxx tools floating around. The original, longer, version, and the currently available shorter version.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Yep, those numbers match those posted on the MRH Forum.

Anywhere the original Reboxx is available?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

len, I don't have any passenger cars, they'd take out my tunnel portals if I tried to run them.  but I do have several of the metal train cars made by model power a few years back. those are probably 5-6-ounces each and they give the same effect you describe. wonder how one would sound if I filed a flat spot on one of the wheels?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on June 24, 2015, 06:11:39 AM
Anywhere the original Reboxx is available?

e-Bay??? Although the few I've seen on line appear to be hobby shop's selling the current version.

It's not really the kind of thing that wears out, so I doubt there's much of a resale market. It'd probably be simpler to just get the one from Micro-Mark.

And for those who aren't sure, these are intended for use in plastic trucks. Do NOT use on metal trucks, or you'll be replacing it fairly quick. I learned the hard way.

Len

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on June 24, 2015, 08:29:24 AM
len, I don't have any passenger cars, they'd take out my tunnel portals if I tried to run them.  but I do have several of the metal train cars made by model power a few years back. those are probably 5-6-ounces each and they give the same effect you describe. wonder how one would sound if I filed a flat spot on one of the wheels?

Jeff, it was not Len who brought up passenger cars, it was RichC, who confirmed, he in turn was addressing you about them, even thought that was not entirely clear...

Len, any way to tell the difference between the old and new versions by photo alone?   Any other way?
As I stated at least 2 times previous, I have the Micro Mark one; was just curious about how the Reboxx one compared, which is why I had found what I found on the Net and reported it back here, after seeing Roger express an interest in getting one.
Good reminder Len, it never hurts to point that out.  Luckily, I had read that before I bought the one I have, the one from Micro Mark.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Unless the photos are to the exact same scale, I doubt if theirs a way to tell the difference just by looking at a picture. The Micro-Mark is the same size as the original Reboxx, so I just go with that.

Len

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on June 24, 2015, 01:19:51 PM
The Micro-Mark is the same size as the original Reboxx, so I just go with that.

Len

Is it though??  That was my whole point to bringing this up, the dude who posted on the MRR Forum said the Reboxx was longer.  Had to have been the original he was referring to as the numbers you produced show the updated Reboxx to be shorter than the Mirco Mark.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

jbrock,

I have all 3 tools. I got the Reboxx when it first came out, but dulled it good on a metal truck. Micro-Mark came out with theirs a bit later, and it was a bit cheaper, so I got one to replace my dulled Reboxx. It was the exact same length as the Reboxx, but the "grip tire" to spin it with had a slightly different feel.

Then the "new improved" Reboxx came out, and I got one only to discover that the "improvement" was to shorten it slightly. Meaning more pressure had to be applied to the truck sides to get it to work properly. I didn't like that improvement, so I've stuck with the Micro-Mark tuner ever since.

So my experience is, Micro-Mark turner length = original Reboxx tuner length. The current Reboxx turner is slightly shorter than both the Micro-Mark and original Rebox. Which may make it easier to insert in the truck, but it creates more work to use and can mess up the journal if it's not kept exactly square to the side being reamed.

Part of me wonders if the person on the MRR forum got his tuners mixed up when he was doing the measuring.

Len

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on June 24, 2015, 11:31:12 PM
The current Reboxx turner is slightly shorter than both the Micro-Mark and original Rebox. Which may make it easier to insert in the truck, but it creates more work to use and can mess up the journal if it's not kept exactly square to the side being reamed.

Agree with your point.  Better to have the Micro Mark one.

Quote from: Len on June 24, 2015, 11:31:12 PM
Part of me wonders if the person on the MRR forum got his tuners mixed up when he was doing the measuring.

Perhaps, or maybe I got things inverted ::).  If so, mea culpa.  I am going to have to look for the post again.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Yep, my mistake and apologies for any confusion.  I inverted what was said, he had said the Reboxx was shorter than the Micro Mark.  That's why I thought it strange to find the numbers on the MRH site did not support that. 

Len, thank you for helping me to see the light and for the added info. :D
Keep Calm and Carry On