Problem with an NW-2 Switch Engine

Started by GeoDuff, June 24, 2015, 07:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoDuff

I bought an NW-2 Switcher which was new in the box and when I tried to run it the CW-80 Lionel transformer shows a short after it has been on just a short time.  Can some one help me with troubleshooting and where I can take voltage readings to see what is wrong.  I've not worked on e-units before.  The bell will work intermittently but the horn won't sound.

phillyreading

Have you tried your NW-2 engine with another transformer like the old post war ZW or the MTH Z-1000 or even an Atlas 80 watt? Don't give up yet as the CW-80 don't have the best record for success.
Some of the older CW-80's had to wired differently then the way it looks to wire one to the track and accessories.

Lee F.

GeoDuff

Thanks, I have an old Lionel KW that I need to check out.  Hasn't been used for years and it's 60 years old.  I'll test it. :D

phillyreading

Quote from: GeoDuff on June 27, 2015, 12:48:16 AM
Thanks, I have an old Lionel KW that I need to check out.  Hasn't been used for years and it's 60 years old.  I'll test it. :D

Did the KW solve the problem? Not sure but with the older ZW I have to hold the whistle button about two/thirds of the way to fully pushed for three or four seconds to activate my True Blast 2 unit.

Lee F.

GeoDuff

I appreciate the advice.  My other locomotives worked alright with the CW80 so I sent it into Bachman to have it serviced.  They have received it fixed it the same day.  Had to replace the electronics.  Apparently as this was an older engine that had been in the dealer stock for a long time it was bad from the factory and the boards were shorting out.  They sure were efficient and called me when they received the engine and went over the problem and their recommended fix.  I have to give them an A+ for their service.

phillyreading

Glad to hear that you have your problem fixed! 8)
Sometimes the circuit boards are bad from the factory, and Williams was very good about service and repairs. I just hope that Bachmann is good with repairs too.

Lee F.