wiring instructions for Remote Bascule Bridge

Started by gabbyhammond, June 25, 2015, 03:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabbyhammond

I am in need of a wiring diagram for the Remote Bascule Bridge. Just found a good working one but no wiring instructions. THANKS!!!

electrical whiz kid

What is a "remote Bascule Bridge"?  I know what a Bascule bridge is, but what is this "remote" business?

Rich C.

Len

It's actually the #3026 Remote Control Bascule Bridge, made by Bachmann some time back. It used "trigger tracks" to stop a train on the upper level when the bridge was open, or a train on the lower level when it was closed.

You can see one here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=post;topic=30382.0;num_replies=1

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

This was a tough one. Instructions for just about everything seem to be on the web these days, but the best I could do on this one is a not very good photograph of the original instructions:

It may be possible to get more detail with photo processing software, but that's not something I'm very good at.

Len

electrical whiz kid

Len;
From what I am getting, this bridge controls are designed for upper/lower train operation??  I know that if one looks hard enough, there is a prototype for everything, but a leaf bridge over another railroad?  Wouldn't it be more practical in prototype practice to just build and install a girder type bridge, etc., over the track and call it a day?
RIch C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on June 29, 2015, 07:43:39 AM
Len;
From what I am getting, this bridge controls are designed for upper/lower train operation??  I know that if one looks hard enough, there is a prototype for everything, but a leaf bridge over another railroad?  Wouldn't it be more practical in prototype practice to just build and install a girder type bridge, etc., over the track and call it a day?
RIch C.

Dates back to Bachmann's  "toy train" era I think.  Not even meant to be prototypical, just a fun accessory.   :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Rich - Yes. In real life you'd generally find a Bascule bridge over a river where it'd be raised to let boats go by. But like Roger said, this was mainly intended as an "Action Accessory" for kids with a figure-8 layout to play with.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to use it in a more prototypical manner though. Just be careful where you look to buy one if you decide to go that route. Mostly you can find them in the $30 - $40 dollar range, depending on condition. But there are a couple of folks that have them listed as "Rare and hard to find" with a "buy now" price of $499.

Len

Jhanecker2

Actually  we have two level bascule bridges over the Chicago River with auto traffic on the lower level and elevated trains on the upper level . They do open from time to time to allow  boat traffic  to  go from the Lake to the river .    John2

electrical whiz kid

Len;
Thanks for the feedback.  I have two Walthers bascule bridges, side-by-side, over what is to be a major waterway type of setting.  It was a trick to get them to operate properly, as well as in sync.  I am using an old MRC Xformer on momentum; this partnered with a sound module of the bridge opening (Greenway models).  watching and hearing it knocks me out!  I come from the Boston area ('45-'63') and can remember hearing those four scherzers at the throat to North Station/BET, the four moving in somewhat of a sequential operation, and letting vessels (usually a tug and a barge, sail-craft, etc.) negotiate that all- too-narrow a passage; and besides being totally massive, they were impressive as all hell!!  Made in America!!!!

Rich C.

normand

Thank you Len for the instruction sheet on the Bascule Bridge

Normand

dslatts

wiring instructions for Remote Bascule Bridge