News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need advice about removing an Annie shell

Started by keeping track, July 01, 2015, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keeping track

I have a 4-6-0 "North Pole & Southern" Annie, and want to take the shell off of the chassis.  I've got all the screws out and detail part removed that I have to -- but there are two more issues that I haven't seen indicated in any diagram or online description:  1) The shell still won't lift off because it can't fit over or around the red sound switch under the cab at the rear.  The switch doesn't seem to want to pull off -- so I'm wondering what I'm missing?  2) I don't see an alternative to cutting the wires to the engine headlight -- is that correct? 

Advice will be much appreciated!

Loco Bill Canelos

Not sure this will help, but to get the cab off you have to remove all the railings from the boiler that go into the holes on the front face of the cab. This will allow you to tilt the top of the cab forward while puling the rear of the cab back far enough to release it from the male tabs by the lower front of the boiler by the base of the cab front.  Once the cab is off the boiler should follow.  You will have to remove the boiler braces where the boiler front is braced to the chassis.  It has been awhile since I have done it, but I seem to remember there is a plug which allows you to separate the electrical s from the chassis to the boiler.  Unless you are removing the headlight for some other use, it can stay in place without cutting.  The red switch for the sound is a press fit, and can be difficult to get off.  Sometimes using a good needle nose pliers with serrated jaws and gently wiggling while pulling will do the trick.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

on30gn15

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on July 01, 2015, 11:26:20 PMThe red switch for the sound is a press fit, and can be difficult to get off.  Sometimes using a good needle nose pliers with serrated jaws and gently wiggling while pulling will do the trick.
Have a couple iron horses in the stable where it was taking more force than I was comfortable applying to that red addition to the switch, so a little carving with an X-Acto knife made the opening large enough for red to fit through.
Engine is down at model RR club right now, but I think what was done was to remove vertical bar between it and one of the openings for plugs.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest