YARDMASTER: Why Does Bachmann Ignore Direct Questions?

Started by kdgrant6, July 03, 2015, 09:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

In an attempt to get a simple answer to a simple question, I have posted a thread on this forum.  I have had helpful responses, but no response from Bachmann, who could answer the question quickly.

I called Bachmann yesterday.  I listened to "The Twelve Days of Christmas," an advertisement, and a voice telling me that my call was important to them and that he apologized for the delay. I listened for a long time.  No answer.

I called at 9:02 this morning.  I have been placed on hold for 40 minutes and counting.

I also sent a PM to the Yardmaster.

My question is simple: What is the wiring diagram for Bachmann turnouts and crossovers?

Len

Ken,

I suspect the answer will be something along the lines of, "Bachmann turnouts and crossovers are aimed at beginners, who only need the hook-up directions on the package. Modifying any other wiring will void the warranty."

Which kind of leaves folks who aren't beginners, and aren't worried about the warranty, swinging in the breeze when it comes to "experienced" level projects that need this kind of information.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richardl

Len said it all. This is model railroading. When you work outside the box, you have to know what you are doing.

The same when you take the shell off of a model locomotive. You need to have electrical skills, mechanical skills and know how to use a multimeter. Soldering skills are a big help.
No train company I know of supplies wiring diagrams for their DCC locos.

Knowing how to do reverse engineering is a big help. That is what you are trying to do.
Bachmann can only do so much hand holding.
Get you meter out and do some circuit tracing.

Rich

jward

kd, the easiest answer to your question will definitely void the warranty. the individual switches, and I suspect the crossovers as well, use twin coil switch motors. thus wiring is similar to almost every other make of solenoid type switch motor. wire one twin coil motor and you can wire any of them. the Bachmann difference is in the use of plug in type wiring. for a more advanced layout you will probably need to cut the plug ends off the power cable and just screw them into a switch control box, or terminal block, thus voiding the warranty.

atlas, while a competitor of Bachmann's, publishes a wiring book that clearly explains how to do this for just about any layout configuration. the principles laid out in this book are easily applicable to Bachmann products with minor modifications.

remember, model railroad wiring is mainly 3 or 4 basic circuits wired over and pver. master those basic circuits and you can wire any layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bucksco

Okay. The original poster has been contacted and directed to the Bachmann Service Department for the information. Unfortunately when he contacted the service department yesterday they were closed for the July 4th holiday. In regard to answers to every technical question the Bach man and myself cannot always supply the information. We do not have the answer for every possible scenario - that is why we have a service department and guide people in that direction. This thread has pretty much run it's course ...