News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recommended figures for On30

Started by rkc, July 12, 2015, 02:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkc

Need recommendations for O scale figures --- engineer, fireman, civilians, etc    19th century or logging types  Thanks all.

JerryB

Google "O-scale Figures." This will produce hundreds of results

Just one example is this unpainted set at MicroMark:

Micro:http://www.micromark.com/O-Scale-Figures-Unpainted-Set-of-36,9013.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CI_2rI-y1sYCFZFafgod2D0AsQ

IMHO, Excellent value for the money.

I recently saw a post asking for a figure that would fit in the LS Davenport without modifications. That is pretty unlikely. The problem is that cast or molded scale figures (in any scale) are relatively rigid and (almost always) are clothed. Where a full-scale human is capable of moving body parts to get into small spaces, and clothing is really flexible, that is not the case with cast figures.

A figure that would get into a small space like that on the Davenport would have to either be really small (meaning way out of scale), or specially formed to fit. Neither would really provide an acceptable solution.

Your solution is to get a figure you like, then cut, grind or file away only the parts that interfere with the desired location. Even a too tall figure can have its legs shortened by cutting off the feet to fit. After installation, the modifications made will not be noticed.

BTW, It's almost always better to modify the figure rather than the locomotive or rolling stock...

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Biglars

This thread explains a lot of options available for o scale figures.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28881

Good luck.

John Tumolo

If you are looking for a lot of figures to fill in backrounds, and not to be viewed close up, check your local Dollar Store-they sell a series of figures from a collection called  "Cobblestone Corners", which are "O" scale, and really cheap at $1.00 a packet.  They are late 1800's era, and you can cut them apart, remove the base they are attached to if needed, and if you mess one up, hey, it was only a buck.  Not to be used for up-close, as they ARE only a buck a pack! The selection is much better at Christmas time, but some stores still have them hanging on the rack.  Good hunting!   John Tumolo   Britcarfan@aol.com

p51

Artistta makes some really good figures, but they're not very cheap.
My problem is trying to shoehorn figures into the cabs of my Bachmann On30 ten-wheelers. Nothing will fit through those windows. So far, I have taken the Woodland Scenics engineer set and cut each off at the waists to get them through the cab windows, then ACCing them in place. You can't tell that they have no legs when they're wedged into the cabs. I have an Artistta engineer and fireman , will be cutting the engineer down then mounting the fireman on the front of the tender with a shovel.
I only use figures in static poses, as I can't stand to see figures frozen in an action pose.
-Lee