Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco Project

Started by jonathan, July 13, 2015, 08:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: doctorwayne on July 19, 2015, 12:22:09 PM

Quote from: J3a-614 on July 19, 2015, 01:00:56 AM
Nice work as always, though for some reason this particular model is bittersweet.  Reminds me that we have so little in the way of later B&O steam in existence today--no Q-4s, no Big Sixes, no T-3 4-8-2s, no EL-3s, no EM-1s. . . :'(

I believe our hosts offer a very nice EM-1 - if I needed a big locomotive, it would be my first choice, even though I don't model the B&O.

Wayne

I think he was talking in the real world Wayne. Only two known "modern" B&O Steam engines still exsist. the 4500 a Q3 USRA Mikado and 5300 "President Washington" P7 4-6-2. Most of the rest of B&O steam still in exsistance is 1800's stuff.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Len

Did some poking around, and these guys http://www.traincat2.com/d_detailparts.htm have 52LPI and 72LPI chain. The 72LPI is etched brass, so the 'links' may actually be an optical illusion rather than functionally flexible.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I happen to pick up some 50 links-per-inch chain at the Timonium train show.  Usually I have 40-LPI stuff from Detail Associates.  Are they part of A-line now? Like Dr. Wayne, I use the same chain on brake rigging... sometimes.  Sometimes I get lazy and use the resin chain that comes with the kit.

The engineer is what's left from a WS pack of engineers. I had to amputate his right leg to get him to fit.  Though I would prefer the PSC brass figures--hard to find and now way overpriced due to their scarcity.

Didn't paint the gages... yet.  I wasn't feeling too confident so I left them alone.  Perhaps a few new tiny paint brushes will get me feeling more brave.

I like the all-wheel pick up photos.  I once toyed with an idea of using kadee knuckle springs fed through a hole drilled in the plastic brakes.  Left the idea alone.  As long as the track and wheels are clean, the locos run fine.  I keep thinking that one day, if I try to sell any of my brassies, I might have a hard time finding a buyer, if I modify the locos too much.

I'm on to testing the loco right now.  The lights are working fine:

(had a little trouble with focus this morning)

The drive train is smooth and quiet.

However, I have a derailment issue with the front truck on the tender.  Will need to spend some time solving that problem.  Then I hope to test the pulling power and shoot a video... perhaps with both Q-4s pulling a train.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

A friend and I actually created the pilot models for the Westside Q-4's, using old Akane models as the basis.  Basically, we stripped off all of the details from the boilers and started over.  I got one of the first models when Westside released them.  Yes, the first ones had this pitiful little can motor, and the smokebox front was incorrect.  I replaced the motor with a fat Sagami that just fits in the firebox, and obtained the correct front.  When our club went to CTC 16 control (yes, that's a long time ago, now) the Vandy tender was not readily adaptable to installing a decoder, so I replaced it with the tender from the Rivarossi Big Six.  Cut out the coal load to install the receiver, then inserted a removable load made from a block of balsa wood shaped and covered with coal.  The model has since gone to DCC and still runs very well. 

J3a-614

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on July 19, 2015, 03:43:54 PM
Quote from: doctorwayne on July 19, 2015, 12:22:09 PM

Quote from: J3a-614 on July 19, 2015, 01:00:56 AM
Nice work as always, though for some reason this particular model is bittersweet.  Reminds me that we have so little in the way of later B&O steam in existence today--no Q-4s, no Big Sixes, no T-3 4-8-2s, no EL-3s, no EM-1s. . . :'(

I believe our hosts offer a very nice EM-1 - if I needed a big locomotive, it would be my first choice, even though I don't model the B&O.

Wayne

I think he was talking in the real world Wayne. Only two known "modern" B&O Steam engines still exsist. the 4500 a Q3 USRA Mikado and 5300 "President Washington" P7 4-6-2. Most of the rest of B&O steam still in exsistance is 1800's stuff.

That's right, I was talking about the real world.

Actually, there is a third "modern" engine--an 0-6-0 originally built for Buffalo, Rocherster and Pittsburgh:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo390s.jpg

This locomotive was recently purchased by the Age of Steam roundhouse museum in Ohio, and is under restoration or is go there eventually.  It does need a bit of work.

http://www.rypn.org/forums/download/file.php?id=8500

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37430&p=225248

And of course, Jonathan's work reminds us of how the B&O may have been among the most beloved of railroads, with its  history, colorful yet restrained paint, interesting power, scenery, and all the rest.

rogertra

Excellent work Jonathan.  I'm jealous.

Cheers

Roger T.

GN.2-6-8-0

Jonathan
Did in fact notice you had painted the inside of the cab,care to elaborate? This is an important point for me when painting engines were you able to use your air brush or did you have to brush paint it.
Never had t he luck to have an engine with a removable cab roof. Lol
Rocky Lives

jonathan

Thanks, again!

GN, I used a small paint brush, painting acrylic leaf green paint.  Normally I use enamel paint on locos and cars, but this could be washed off if I touched something not supposed to be green. It took three coats to completely cover the black enamel.

Of course I discovered AFTER I painted the loco that the cab was removable! There are two tiny, tiny screws hidden behind the piping, under the cab. Razafrazz.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  there is window glazing, too--just hard to see.

jonathan

OK, found the derailing problems.  Self-reminder #1, even if it's brass, always check the wheels for proper gage:

I was able to press the offending wheel into gage with a gear/wheel press tool.

Reminder #2:  attention to detail is everything! I didn't notice during assembly that my drawbar was not perpendicular:

Unfortunately, this means opening up the loco after everything is done. Discovered I got a little overzealous with the solder when installing new wire:

A little work with a needle file cleared up the problem:

Nice and straight:

Now the locomotive runs just fine, right down to 22" radius... surprising.

Now it's time to clean tracks and wheels for some serious tractor-pull fun.  I'm terrible with a video camera, but give me a few days... we'll see what we can do.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Petey

Yes Jon,
I noticed the green paint.

Petey

Herr Doktor,
You can't get away with that.  Please provide details for the use of rare earth magnets.
Thanks.

RAM

Will the motor work with dcc or do you run on dc

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
Did  see right?  It looks as though you might have run optic fibre to the classification lamps.  Did you?  I have toyed with that idea-and it is doable.  A while back, I found me a whole slough of the white marker jewels.

Rich C. 

jonathan

No fiber optics.  Occasionally, the light hits the jewels just right in a photograph, giving them that luminescent look.  It's great to see the jewels wink as the locomotive rolls down the track.

As a follow-up, I have taken many videos with my digital camera.  ALL have turned out terrible, mostly to due an inability to focus on the moving train.  The camera wants to focus on anything but the train.  Drivin' me nuts.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
I also have a digital camera, and I have a couple of Canon SRLs as well.  For layout photography, I will go back to the  Canons, as they can be stopped right down to nothing!  Out-moded?  Well maybe.  depends what you would be after.  As said, I occasionally toy around with fibre optics.  I think I will give class, lamp business a yank sometime this winter, during hibernation...
Rich c.