News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco Project

Started by jonathan, July 13, 2015, 08:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Film based  cameras may be of an old technology but I think  they  are better for some purposes than digital .  The charged couple screens of most digital cameras are smaller than the size of 35mm film screens  (24mm x 36mm  ) because of  the inability to make larger screens as perfect as necessary for reasonable costs.
Also having self focusing lens adds more complexity to the process .   It must be said that I am biased because  I own , Olympus , Minolta , and  Nikon SLRs and had a full color darkroom in Chicago which I miss terribly .  But do admit that digital  is convenient , my camera chip memory hold the equivalent of 2400 photos.
Though it requires  a really good printer to get a decent print , and forget  about anything bigger than  8 x 10 inch enlargement . That's my story & I'm sticking to it.  John2.

electrical whiz kid

J;
How many pixels is yours rated for?  The idea of making bigger repros is a hard proposition at best.  You say you had a complete developing facilities in Chi, so why not bring it with you?  I believe, if I were into photography to the degree you are, I would have stuck to that stuff like white on rice!

Rich C.

Irbricksceo

I too loved using film, I all but missed it though, having only owned one film camera (my first one) before having to move to digital. That said, you can still get some pretty good photos on even the most basic of digital cameras. I cannot afford a SLR so I have a more simple camera, here are a few photos I've taken though. Light and focus are always tricky.

Modeling NYC in N

Jhanecker2

E.W.K. :  Actually  I have three  digital cameras  a 3 Megapixel Vivitar , a 14 megapixel GE , and a 14 Megapixel  Fuji  with a zoom lens . They are not DSLR s but work alright  .   Regarding the developing equipment , I brought everything  but the dark room itself . In Chicago I could dump all  the waste down the sewer and let Metropolitan Sanitation worry about it .   Out here in the hinterland , I live outside of Town  on  "Duh  Farm " and have a septic  system . Silver based photo waste  is an anti-bacterial and would  destroy the bacteria that processes the waste .  So I would have to figure out how depose of the chemicals and all of the rinse water as well .  That and the fact that I am paranoid about having film lost is why I don't like to send out film for processing .   I usually printed  8 x 10 inch and  did some  11 x 14 inch  from time to time .  Also took all of the lights , umbrellas and rest of the stuff with me , could set up as studio if necessary .
   I read somewhere that  400 ASA film  had  an equivalent pixel count of approximately  20 Mega pixels  in 35mm. format with finer films being higher . I suspect that I am eventually  going to have to break down and pop for another computer and a photo-grade printer , I already have a slide , film and photo converter to translate the original to digital ,but Lord that is going to take a good deal of time.

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on August 01, 2015, 12:20:44 PM
I too loved using film, I all but missed it though, having only owned one film camera (my first one) before having to move to digital. That said, you can still get some pretty good photos on even the most basic of digital cameras. I cannot afford a SLR so I have a more simple camera, here are a few photos I've taken though. Light and focus are always tricky.

All very nice photos BTW.  :)

However, the above photo must be in an amusement park, or something like that and not a railway museum.  A railroad museum's staff would, we hope, know green flags indicate there's at least one section of the train following.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: rogertra on August 01, 2015, 04:54:07 PM
Quote from: Irbricksceo on August 01, 2015, 12:20:44 PM

All very nice photos BTW.  :)

However, the above photo must be in an amusement park, or something like that and not a railway museum.  A railroad museum's staff would, we hope, know green flags indicate there's at least one section of the train following.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Judging by the coaches, and the paint scheme, I'd say thats from one of the Disney Parks. Only place i know that uses those coaches.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

It is the Disney train. I've ridden and photographed it myself. Plus, one can read "Disney world" on the coach roof, if you blow up the photo.

Regards

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on August 01, 2015, 05:29:42 PM
It is the Disney train. I've ridden and photographed it myself. Plus, one can read "Disney world" on the coach roof, if you blow up the photo.

Regards

Jonathan

Thanks.  Photo will not "blow up" and it's not linked to a photo site either.

Guess it's people playing trains, in this case, real trains.  :)  

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Yeah, I may be wrong but as I recall, each of their three Locomotives had a different color flag, rather than using the flags for their true purpose. As for that little tank Locomotive, I was actually in the cab for their little ride around the museum. The staff was quite surprised when I proved i knew the what they started talking about, the whole "this is the throttle it does this, these guages show water level, this is the brake, ect." And we had an interesting discussion instead of the usual tour. My only regret is that I was too shy to take them up on the offer to blow the whistle!
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on August 01, 2015, 05:33:12 PM
Photo will not "blow up"...
Roger T.

Put the mouse pointer over the picture.  Then hold "CTRL" button while moving the mouse's roller wheel.  One direction makes the pic smaller the other direction makes it larger.  To "RESET" back to normal size, look in upper right corner of the screen while performing the aforementioned and you will see a box you can click "Reset to Default".

Too bad they don't have DISNEY in CANADA, I'd pay for your train ride ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Hey Brick, as a younger kid, ever go to Turtle Back Zoo?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on August 01, 2015, 07:33:22 PM
Quote from: rogertra on August 01, 2015, 05:33:12 PM
Photo will not "blow up"...
Roger T.

Put the mouse pointer over the picture.  Then hold "CTRL" button while moving the mouse's roller wheel.  One direction makes the pic smaller the other direction makes it larger.  To "RESET" back to normal size, look in upper right corner of the screen while performing the aforementioned and you will see a box you can click "Reset to Default".

Too bad they don't have DISNEY in CANADA, I'd pay for your train ride ;D

I never knew that scrolling method and I've had a computer since the 1980s.  D'oh.

Thanks for the Disney offer but I've spent many, many, many, hours operating both steam and diesel locos.   ;D

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on August 01, 2015, 07:40:38 PM
I never knew that scrolling method and I've had a computer since the 1980s.  D'oh.

No problem, you're welcome.  I remember it was Doc taught me that trick.

Quote from: rogertra on August 01, 2015, 07:40:38 PM
...I've spent many, many, many, hours operating both steam and diesel locos.

I know, I've read it many times over.  I don't think you understand the reason for my offer, but you are welcome anywho ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

The image hosting site is imgur, I didn't know that it didn't link back (I only rec ently started using it since it is faster).

The name turtle back rings a bell but I do not think i ever visited. I know I went to van song park several times, but I cannot recall visiting turtle back. its possible though!
Modeling NYC in N

ebtnut

I carry around a Sony 10 mp digital "pocket camera"  in the car for those times when opportunity pops up.  I also have a Nikon DSLR which I prefer to use for "serious" photo work.  My biggest gripe with the small digitals is that in bright sun you often can't see the back screen well and have trouble framing the photo.  There used to be some of those cameras that also had a rangefinder which was useful in those situations.  My next acquisition is going to be one of those neat little digital video cameras to replace video tape camera.