Removing factory applied lettering and heralds from Bachmann rolling stock

Started by canpac, July 20, 2015, 08:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canpac

Probably asked many times before in this forum. Will bring the topic up again. What if any are effective ways to remove the factory lettering that is applied to Bachmann rolling stock ? Interested in all replies including those from the Bach Man !

rogertra

99% Isopropyl Alcohol on a Q-Tip is also good.  It's become my standard removal method.

Do NOT use rubbing alcohol as it contains oils, which make it rubbing alcohol, as the last thing you want to get on your paint surface is any oils.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

99% Isopropyl may be the best in cost per unit.  Some people use Micro Set from Microscale to remove decals.  It is all over the net, just waiting to be found on a GOOGLE search.

**ADDENDUM**

That is, if you have access to 99% in the area where you live.
Keep Calm and Carry On

canpac

Thanks for all the great replies. Will give them all a go on some older cars and see what happens. As manufacturing techniques change, it is nice to know how to change our techniques of doing certain things also.

James in FL

Hi canpac,

I have used Micro-sol on double layered tissue paper.
The paper is folded half then cut to width and length to just cover the print you want removed.
Put the paper over the print then wet the paper with Micro-Sol on a Q-Tip so the paper acts like a wick.
Keep it wet for 5 minutes, then remove the tissue paper.
Then gently rub off the print with the still wet Q-Tip end.
With this method, Bachmann print is among the easiest, of all manufacturers, to remove.

Good luck

I have not tried Micro-Set.

West Bound

It has been my experience that factory applied lettering and heralds are not decals but are painted and therefor decal solutions have had no effect on their removal.
The Q tip method using a variety of several products including  denatured alcohol, paint thinner, acetone, and even a product called 'Flash Back'. This a debonder for super glues. Got it at Hobby Lobby. Some products work better than others depending on the paint the manufacturer used. The key is patience. When the lettering is removed the paint under it will also be removed. I do steam so I spray clear or black gloss from the can, apply new decals and spray again with flat clear to protect the decals. Decal solutions are great for for applying new decals. Hope this info helps.       - John West
'