HO SCALE: converting old Lionel set to Bachmann...

Started by Marlec, July 22, 2015, 01:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

marlec - the NMRA is the National Model Railroad Association. It was formed ages ago to promote standards in the industry.  Before the NMRA you couldn't run trains from one company with another without a lot of fuss. The NMRA has standards for weight - e.g. what should a 40 foot HO boxcar weigh to keep it on the track? They have all kinds of standards. They make a track/wheel gauge that many people find indispensable. Other vendors sell these and serious modelers will have at least one. They publish a magazine and have annual meetings that usually include a train ride and visiting other people's layouts. I've been a member since 1972 and have really come to appreciate what the organization does.

richardl

Quote from: Marlec on July 23, 2015, 10:51:57 PM
Wow! i really feel like a Newb...
I have to check every thing so to know what you're all saying...  ::)

I know this project isn't Worth much in terms of $$...
But I'll try to do this for my boy who wants to add my cars to his...

Micro Mark has loads of tools for MRR modelling. Tools, MRR parts, hardware, taps, drill bits, etc.
Google Micro Mark.

Rich

the Bach-man

I can't tell you how many projects, prototypes, displays, etc., I've built with Micro-Mark tools and supplies. They're my go-to source!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Check the 'ship building' section at Micro-Mark too. Lots of tools and supplies there are also very useful for model railroading.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Marlec

Yeah, I know Micro-Mark...
Great stuff and Tools.. but no forums, so I thought I would have help here...

@Len
How much did it cost you per cars for the conversion?

Len

Marlec - I buy Kadee and Intermountain coupler, truck, and wheel stuff in bulk when I find a good price. So I can't really give you a dollar amount per car. Probably between $1 and $2.

Even at full list, couplers, trucks, and wheels don't come to a whole lot of $$$ per car. And there are plenty of places to get them at a significant discount.

Len

richardl

I have found the Intermountain and Reboxx machined metal wheels roll the best. Better than sintered metal wheels.

Rich

jbrock27

Marlec, ask Len how many items there are in typical "bulk" package that he purchases and the cost of said packages, that allow him to come out with the best cost per unit that he speaks to.

Question for you: how many cars do you have as potential candidates to upgrade?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

JB - I just looked, and the current list price for Intermountain bulk wheelsets is $99 for a box of 100. Model Train Stuff has them for $69.99, so call it $0.70 a wheelset or $2.40 a car at current prices. I purchased several boxes back with the price was in the $49 range, and still have several boxes left.

I mentioned I got a bunch of the Kadee trucks I use when my repair shop was still open. I got them marked down from wholesale on a special buy from the distributor I used at the time. If I didn't have them, for upgrading old Lionel cars I'd use Delrin trucks from Tichy, with a current MSRP of $14.50 for 10 pair. Which gives a per car price of $1.45 if you use the wheels they come with. Switching to the IM wheels would bring it up to $3.85 per car.

While I've still got a ton of #5 couplers stashed away, for the most part I've switched to the #148 'whisker' couplers for general use. MSRP is $85.85 for the #140 pack of 50 pairs of #148's. MTS has them at $64.99 for 50 pair, or $1.29/pair. Throw in the #262 Draft Gear Boxes at $0.26/pr and couplers come out $1.55 a car.

So using Tichy trucks, IM wheels, #148 couplers, and #262 pockets, at current prices, brings it to $5.40 per car to upgrade. Not counting the JB Weld epoxy to fill the truck holes, or 2-56 screws that are super cheap from Micro-Fasteners. And that's with not hunting around for better pricing than MTS offers.

If you don't buy in bulk, like I do, the cost will be a bit higher. Probably in the $6.00 a car range.

Len 

jbrock27

Thank you for helping to illustrate part of my point.  Your new numbers are much closer to what I got than $1-2 per car.  This is why I posed my two questions.  A lot will be determined by how many cars Marlec is looking to do.
I also found the 100 IM wheel-sets at Model Train Stuff for 69.99 + shipping (pick your poison, pay shipping or tax) and in thinking it makes sense to get as many of the needed components from the same place to reduce shipping cost, I added a bulk pack of 40 Kadee #5 couplers for $19.99 and 4 packs of corresponding Kadee coupler boxes (10 x 4) at $9.56 to the equation with $6.35 for shipping.   To get a rough idea of cost for each unit, I divided up the shipping cost among those 3 items to be $2, $2.35 and $2 respectively. Leading to
$72.34/100=.72 per wheel set; $21.99 /40=.55 per coupler and $11.56/40=.29 per coupler box.  I prefer Accurail trucks over Tichy, so if it was me, I would get those.  Bettendorf, assuming, 24 for $14.98+$3.49 in shipping last I got them, so $18.47/24=.77 per truck.
That all comes to about  $6.10 per car.  I am not even including cost of screws or the tools needed to upgrade.  I am not saying the above are all rock bottom prices for each item but this is what I came up with in about 15 mins time.  If it was me doing this I would search for prices a little harder, but frankly, I don't realistically expect the costs to be found for much lower.  But the point is, much more than $1 or $2 cost per car.   
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Guess I was thinking about the prices back when I bought my stuff, which was a few years ago. I tended to stock up when I find a good deal. Checking current prices was a bit of an eye opener. Even so, with many new cars in the $30 -$40 range, upgrading old ones can be a budget saver.

Funny thing is, even though I retired, I still get a lot of parents asking me to upgrade Dad's/Grandad's old Tyco/Model Power/Bachmann/Whatever they found in the attic to work with their kids new set. After hitting them with a truck-tuner, I find the Tichy's work fine for that.

I didn't include tools in the pricing, as they are something any model railroader should have. Whether planning to do upgrades or not.

Len

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on July 31, 2015, 07:39:46 AM
I tended to stock up when I find a good deal.

As do I currently :)

Even so, with many new cars in the $30 -$40 range, upgrading old ones can be a budget saver.

I agree although I think that price range is on the really high end.  I have found current new cars for much less than that.  This is when it becomes decision time whether to upgrade.

I still get a lot of parents asking me to upgrade Dad's/Grandad's old Tyco/Model Power/Bachmann/Whatever they found in the attic to work with their kids new set.

I know, you have said as much before.  I won't comment on my opinion on the decision making of people who are willing to do that irrespective of cost but I'll just say, I'm not the kinda guy who spends 60+ dollars for a loco motor on a loco that is worth less than half that ;)

I didn't include tools in the pricing, as they are something any model railroader should have. Whether planning to do upgrades or not.

I agree but would point out, that until a train modeler starts a project like this, they are not likely to have any or much of the tools needed.

I don't like Tichy trucks for having to put them together and they don't look any better to me than the Accurails.  Just my personal preference and opinion. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I've put so many together over the years, I could probably assemble a Tichy in my sleep. I like the Accurails also, but I like the Tichy price better for doing an upgrade for a kid that may quickly lose interest to their latest smart phone app.

Len