HO SCALE: converting old Lionel set to Bachmann...

Started by Marlec, July 22, 2015, 01:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

But doesn't it take more interest (and time) to assemble a Tichy, as opposed to a ready to go Accurail?  I also don't like or use Tichy wheelsets and never found a Tichy set to not come with wheelsets which in turn, adds to price.  If there are just the trucks available, I am interested to find where and for how much.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

When my shop was open, I tossed the Tichy wheels in a box with other plastic wheels I'd swapped out with metal wheels for different customers. I'd get people in all the time looking for replacement wheels "Junior" had lost somehow. If they were plastic, I'd grab some out of the box and replace them for no charge.

On my layout, I "rust them up" and use them as scrap loads and scenic bits around the car shops. I give lots of them away to be used the same way.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Right, that's my point.  Why would I buy trucks (Tichy) when their packaging includes wheelsets, which then adds to the overall cost of the item, that I am not going to use, when I can buy just the trucks (Accurail for one example) for a lesser cost per truck?  I have enough spare junk wheelsets to use for "scenery" that I don't need to include them in a purchase, to only then end up using them for scenery.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I guess I forgot to mention Tichy is in Alamance, NC, which is near Burlington, about 30 minutes from where I live. I drive to Burlington fairly often, so it's not really out of my way to stop by Tichy to grab a few things.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

If you want to get started in the right direction, first, familiarize yourself with the NMRA  (National Model Railroad Association), and what they are all about.  we here could tell you, but best if you read up on it yourself.  They are on-line. 

Now, get some GOOD tools-and learn how to use them.  Get familiar with drill and tapping practices, as well as just acclimating yourself to good shop practices.  This hobby is a cumulative endeavour, and you will learn be exposing yourself (to the hobby!) to knowledge herein.
Good tools are a good scale rule-general, Walthers, etc; a good machine dividers, files, tweezers, pliers, and the list goes on.  Read the railroad mags and pick up from those publications.

RIch C.