Locomotive Fleet Saturation and slower On30 sales

Started by ksivils, July 27, 2015, 08:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hmm, interesting looking thing. Long overhang aft of drivers pretty much nixes it from use on Big Hauler train set curves.
OH! Wait a minute, this is the On30 section, not the large scale section. Oh well.
Wonder if it was also available in tender configuration.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

railexpert

Hello,

To understand what Bachmann means with On30, read the Bachmann Message Board  "F.A.Q.s" then" On30" and there "What is On30". There is described after which prototypes Bachmann makes his models:

The prototype locos and cars have gauges between 2' and 3' 6''.    - That's the crucial point.-

The locomotive factory Baldwin delivered the same prototypes in different track gauges.
Bachmann manufactures all his On30 models in the same track gauge, but from prototypes with different track gauges. That's all.

Put the large 4-6-0 next to the little 2-4-4-2 and you won't believe first that they are made in the same 1/48 scale, because the prototypes have different gauges.

Railexpert

;)

NotHarryPotter

Chatham,

another interesting loco in On30 would be the dinky little 20 ton Diesel loco built for Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Pennsylvania. It would be a great replacement model for the Davenport, and very simple to power as it had no visible motion.

This is a simple Whitcomb 0-4-0 DE with tons of character.

Track gauge: 2ft 6 inches    Wheelbase: 5ft Length over buffers: 14ft 11inches   Width overall 6ft   Height overall 8ft 10 inches Wheel diameter 33 inches.

Bethlehem Steel Corps No 21 was operated in California apparently. A good image appears on page 63 of "Westinghouse equipped Diesel-Electric locomotives 10 to 80 tons"" reprint of 1942 edition by Railhead Publications ISBN 091211309X circa 1980.

Other 20 ton 3ft gauge Whitcombs were operated by Bethlehem Steel, but I reckon this one 30 inch one has real potential and charm. I can find images on the web of similar Whitcombs, but not this one. If anyone has a photo they can post of this loco, that would be great!
regards
Geoff Potter

traingeek

Ken mentioned the Argentinian Baldwins that still occasionally run for charters.  I went down there in October with Bernd Seiler of Farail, which was an excellent experience. Great line with fabulous scenery and gutsy locos - 30" gauge heaven.  Check out this link for my pix from the trip.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/104438411@N02/sets/72157649425444015

Ken Clark

Traingeek

Enjoyed the photos, liked the Baldwin Dbl header.  One day I will make the trip, hopefully the
Rio Turbio might have there Mitsubishi back in service after rebuilding, which is currently underway.

Ken Clark
     GWN

Royce Wilson

Any small type Porter,Baldwin would be a plus.something that we can bash and have fun with .leave off the extras!,the DCC and sound so the cost can stay down and let folks pay extra for it if they want it.

Royce

darryl1936

I believe the biggest problem was not the lack of engines but getting the gear problem solved. I have about five, maybe more On30 engines that the gears need to replaced.  I stopped buying engines as enough was enough.

I am still selling off most of the On30 engines and bought HO engines without changing the track. Now I run the good On30 stuff and when the need arises, change to HO. Maybe some day I will be out of On30 completely but I really do not wish to go that route with eBay. Can't sell any On30 locally as most are into HO or N scale.

It would have been a different story if metal gears were used instead of plastic but that is old history now.

Cheers  the old fardt in Oregon

dutchbuilder

My collection is also satturated.
Another two reasons are the price of the models and the shippingcosts to Europe.
Those prices have rissen exponentailly after i started in 2007.

Ton

p51

Maybe a diesel that is somewhere in size between the little critter has-mechanical and the Whitcomb? Something small for switching on a tiny layout, yet large enough for putting a good sound system into.
Also, I doubt there'd be that big a draw for this, but considering it's one of the most-ridden narrow gauge railroads in the US, why not one of these?

Yes, I took that photo myself. Been to the WP&Y twice...
-Lee