News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SIDE RAILS

Started by stant52, December 15, 2015, 08:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stant52

The crankpins fall out & the side rails become mis-aligned & then the wheels jam up . I can't keep pins in and side rails lined up with the 6 wheels . Each side gets jammed .
I'm ready to order a new chassis to fix it ! Is there a way to fix it ????????? Thank you

Chuck N

There are a lot of engines out there.  Which one are you talking about?

Chuck

stant52

sorry I assume the method of repair would be the same for any large scale.
It's a 4-6-0  White  Christmas train set I guess.
Chassis is same as 90023 or 90025 . I was going to order the 81095 Chassis because it is the same color
The side rails do not stay lined up proper on the 3 wheels ,same problem or either side . The pins fall out ,do not hold rails where they are suppose to be .

Chuck N

Don't assume anything.  Every engine is different.  Some have press on wheels and some have wheels that are secured by screws on the end of the axle.  Then there is the possibility of a broken gear that slips on the axle.  The bottom line is that your engine is going out of quarter.  Why is a bigger question.  Your best bet is to contact Bachmann service.  They have replacement motor blocks that will give you a much better product.

Just a suggestion.

Chuck

PS they are drive rods, not side rails.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Stant 52,

I am assuming the locomotive runs ok when you put the crankpins back in, then fails after the crankpins fall out again.  If so you could try using a little superglue and see if that helps, or you could also try epoxy glue or putty.  just use very little an make sure whatever you use does not ooze out and glue the moving parts together.

If the gears are slipping that is another matter. Either of the chassis you mention are fine if you decide to replace the whole chassis.  I usually recommend chassis replacement if the simpler methods such as gluing the crankpins don't work.

Good luck with your repair.

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

stant52

Actually Chuck, I believe they are called "Coupling Rods or Connecting rods" .  But evidently you knew what I meant even with my poor wording . Sorry I'm not an expert ,

Thanks Loco Bill,  but that hasn't worked .Somehow the wheels still get out of alignment and jam . Guess I'll just go with a new chassis & keep the old one for parts.

RkyGriz

I wonder if they could be drilled out and tapped to accept small hex bolts?
Andrew

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi  stant52,

Sorry the simple methods have not worked.  You can count on the fact that the new chassis you mentioned are all the latest smooth running Big Hauler 4-6-0 Version 5 chassis.  Although they come lubed, I always add a little plastic compatible grease to the gears thru the lube port just for insurance.   

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!