STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2018, 05:53:20 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 276667 times)
angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: April 30, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »

I saw your Thomas layout Thomasfan. It was impressive! Was it around the whole room? I did lost after you starting about switches that run on multiple lines. Another than that it was a very good layout.

BassTbone that is a very good looking Smudger.

You think that Duke created Smudger to keep Stuart and Falcon on good behavior?  Probably so but he still a good character kind of like Duncan in a way.
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 30, 2018, 06:19:43 PM »

Just thought I would follow through with this post that the HO spiteful brake van is now listed in the Bachmann webstore. Smiley

I'm very glad to see it on the webstore now! I hope that the narrow gauge carriages will get listed soon as well.   
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 26, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »

On Twitter, the user PeterSamsFunnel has brought up something interesting:

The newer Bachmann Thomas models have the body separated by a brass pickup. Older models were connected by a wire, making disassembly of them very difficult.

What this makes me wonder is, could it be possible for them to do an updated body in the near future, one that is more accurate to the CGI model? Basically, like the large scale model:

The main differences/improvements are that it has an open cab, a smooth boiler (rather than having the red stripes protrude out), a space between the splasher and the side tanks, and a CGI face. They wouldn't even need to do a new chassis or footplate if they can make the bottom ends of the body fit (though Olivers lamp would be a nice addition).

The only hurdles I could see is that for easy manufacturing, the screw mounts would need to be in the same place on the new molding, and the gears/eye mechanism inside the body still line up in this (hypothetical) new body.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:04:09 PM by Sparks » Logged
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 26, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »

On Twitter, the user PeterSamsFunnel has brought up something interesting:

The newer Bachmann Thomas models have the body separated by a brass pickup. Older models were connected by a wire, making disassembly of them very difficult.

What this makes me wonder is, could it be possible for them to do an updated body in the near future, one that is more accurate to the CGI model? Basically, like the large scale model:

The main differences/improvements are that it has an open cab, a smooth boiler (rather than having the red stripes protrude out), a space between the splasher and the side tanks, and a CGI face. They wouldn't even need to do a new chassis or footplate if they can make the bottom ends of the body fit (though Olivers lamp would be a nice addition).

The only hurdles I could see is that for easy manufacturing, the screw mounts would need to be in the same place on the new molding, and the gears/eye mechanism inside the body still line up in this (hypothetical) new body.
I would actually like them to also reshape the front of the running board as well, because the slope it has makes the buffers sit too far down, and those...I don't know what they're called...those black things that are supposed to connect to the smokebox under Thomas' face, those are wrong because of the slope as well.
Chaz

Who we all want Bachmann to make

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 26, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »

Paxton and Grumpy Diesel are now in stock at Trainworld!

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-58817-thomas-friends-paxton-with-moving-eyes/

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-58818-thomas-friends-grumpy-with-moving-eyes/

Haven't preordered Paxton but since he is out now and much earlier than expected...!
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 07, 2018, 12:38:51 AM »

Watched Train Tsar Fun's unboxing and first run video for Paxton and Grumpy Diesel, and I swear that Grumpy Diesel's faceplate is ever so slightly smaller than regular Diesel's faceplate is.
angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 08, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »

Watched Train Tsar Fun's unboxing and first run video for Paxton and Grumpy Diesel, and I swear that Grumpy Diesel's faceplate is ever so slightly smaller than regular Diesel's faceplate is.

Possibly because I think it might be his cgi face that it looks smaller.
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 09, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »

Possibly because I think it might be his cgi face that it looks smaller.
Both Bachmann Devious Diesels have CGI faces.
TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 07, 2018, 04:12:11 PM »

Looks like Bachmann Cancelled the Ho scale water tanker
Chaz

Who we all want Bachmann to make

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 07, 2018, 04:28:52 PM »

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=756_772_775&products_id=6792

It's still listed.
TrainshockeylifE

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 08, 2018, 12:58:13 AM »

Whoops my bad, sorry I didnít see it.
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 08, 2018, 04:44:27 PM »

It's been a while, but I think we need to return to the "Everything Wrong with Bachmann Thomas" discussion, because the more I research it and examine it, the more I realize it's kind of a cosmetically-awful model.

Here we see a behind-the-scenes image of Thomas circa season 9 (I think) compared to a Bachmann Thomas. While many have pointed out the obvious glaring issues, there are many others that I have found. Feel free to comment others that you notice. The ones in red are ones I believe that Bachmann could and should feasibly be able to rectify with minimal effort, if they ever cared enough to do so. The rest could be achieved with a little more effort, therefore they are more far-fetched in my mind. I've compared the Bachmann Thomas to a model from the show rather than a CGI render, and I'm sure that more and different issues arise when one does compare it to CGI (which I plan to do), but if it were up to me I'd go for an update that reflects classic Thomas. Furthermore, I want to also say that I wanted to compare Bachmann Thomas to the show model from S3, but couldn't find a high-res side view photo. On that note, have a look.

- The front and back of the Bachmann chassis are lacking structural detail that the TV model contains.

- The Bachmann funnel is too tall, wide, and lacking the smooth transition to the smokebox that the TV model has.

- The Bachmann dome is the incorrect shape, and the red boiler stripes protrude from the boiler rather than being flush.

- The Bachmann cab windows are the wrong shape and size.

- The side rods are the wrong shape and size.

- The Bachmann bunker is missing the lip on the rear and is overall the wrong shape.

- Bachmann has a space between the cab door and the running board.

- The Bachmann cab door is too thin.

- The space between the Bachmann splasher and the side tanks are filled in.

- The steam pipes (not sure of correct name) on Bachmann Thomas's front do not reach all the way forward to his smokebox.

- The Bachmann smokebox is too vertically large.

- The Bachmann water caps protrude too far vertically from the side tanks.

- The Bachmann running board is far too thin and misshapen.

- The Bachmann cab steps are the wrong size and positioned wrong on the Bachmann footplate.

- The Bachmann whistle is the incorrect color and shape.

- The Bachmann face is horribly awkward (but we knew that)

- The Bachmann blue wheel rims are too thin, as are the silver wheel rims and counterweights.

- The splasher is incorrectly sized.

- The buffers are incorrectly sized and placed on the bufferbeam.

I know all this seems extremely nit-picky, but where else have you seen a company that continues to sell a product created 10 years ago without any updates? These cosmetic oversights don't take into account the outdated mechanics of the Bachmann model, but I'll leave those comments to the electricians. Bachmann will only improve when they hear unified customer outcry. We saw it with Bachmann Paxton on Twitter (kind of...) and maybe one day, we'll be able to look back on this model of Thomas and be glad we were relentless. Maybe.

I plan to do this same comparison for the:

CGI render

front view of Thomas

Percy and James (model and CGI)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:46:09 PM by Griffin » Logged

Waiting for Bachmann Stepney...
angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 08, 2018, 08:54:08 PM »

That was very good nit picking but you forgot the number.

The model has a sharp number on top than the Bachmann one which has flat top number.

I believe this is the reason why Hornby left the Thomas line people complain about the real locomotives not looking like the tv show.
MeganekkoFury1126

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 08, 2018, 11:29:55 PM »

Honestly, Griffin, this is more than fair criticism.

I never even bothered to compare the Thomas model by Bachmann to the actual model series counterpart side by side, but wow, do the differences really show through. I honestly thought a simple face swap was all I needed to have a solid Thomas...
It's definitely showing its age after we've gotten extremely accurate models in the forms of Duck and the Scottish Twins in recent years, and with new tooling for a completely new character being particularly expensive at the moment, I think it's fair that Bachmann takes the time to upgrade and improve its existing roster in the mean time.
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 09, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »

Honestly, Griffin, this is more than fair criticism.

I never even bothered to compare the Thomas model by Bachmann to the actual model series counterpart side by side, but wow, do the differences really show through. I honestly thought a simple face swap was all I needed to have a solid Thomas...
It's definitely showing its age after we've gotten extremely accurate models in the forms of Duck and the Scottish Twins in recent years, and with new tooling for a completely new character being particularly expensive at the moment, I think it's fair that Bachmann takes the time to upgrade and improve its existing roster in the mean time.
I honestly don't know why Bachmann doesn't so stuff like this for the years where they can't afford to produce locomotives with brand new toolings. James finally got updates, but even then his smokebox is still red instead of black. And if I were to add on to that list, he still has the inaccurate faceplate, he has an outdated motor and gearbox setup in him, and I imagine there's some structural differences with James just like there is with Thomas as well. Almost makes one want to compare every engine side by side with a side-shot of a Model Series locomotive just to see where any differences are. Wink Also, Hey there Megan!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:40:05 PM by Rodimus Supreme » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: