STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 05:18:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  The Everything Thomas Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 Print
Author Topic: The Everything Thomas Thread  (Read 172981 times)
Plow Bender

If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it...

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: October 07, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »

I can kind of agree with you Mr. Trainfan.  If Den was introduced into the range, it would give Bachmann a reason to announce a few other things as well.  Potentially, if Bachmann made Den, they would introduce Dart to go with him.  Then if we have Den and Dart, Bachmann could introduce the Dieselworks as their next building.  I wouldn't count on the structure looking that impressive though, just as I wouldn't count on a breathtaking rendition of the Steamworks.  Bachmann's Dieselworks would not be very large, would probably just have 2 or 3 doors, and if you're lucky the turntable inside, but without the ability to be elevated.  In other words, think Bachmann's Knapford Station kit.

The only problem I can see right now is that while Den is a likely candidate for the range, his partner in crime (Dart) poses a problem.  Dart is not a very large engine, in fact he is about 2 times smaller than Thomas.  That being said, if Dart were to be made, he would be the smallest model in the HO range.  As we've seen in the past with the range, Bachmann doesn't make small models, hence why Winston exists in large scale, but will never be made in HO.  I know some want to argue that Dart being a small model means nothing because Bachmann has made speeders and hand cars in HO, but those we're made a for an entirely different market and for the more serious collectors.  As for the Skarloey engines, the same thing applies.

I think many can agree that Bachmann wouldn't announce Den without Dart, and in turn would probably just dismiss the possibility of either model being brought into the range.  I'm not saying I don't want to see Den and Dart in HO, but sadly we have to think realistically about this.  We all know Bachmann isn't lazy enough to pull a reverse Hornby, so chances of getting Den are zero.  I wouldn't completely write off the Dieselworks being brought in as Bachmann's next building for the range, but I wouldn't get your hopes up either.

Personally I'd be leaning more towards either getting Norman or Sidney for 2018.  I'd honestly have to say that at this time Sidney seems like the most likely to be made next, simply because his tooling is already there.  I personally think Sidney would be a great addition to the range and there has been a lot of interest in his character lately.  Many actually started asking for Sidney for 2018 after Paxton was announced this year.  In terms of value for Bachmann, Sidney would be their best option to announce for 2018, aside from just not bothering with announcing another engine in HO and just going for announcing 2 engine in narrow gauge.

-Rusty

"Difficult things take time.  Impossible things take a little longer."
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 07, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

Yeah, Den wouldn't be such a bad idea if Dart wasn't so small. Den seems very likely, but his partner, Dart, would be the smallest engine in HO. Bachmann wouldn't want to make one without the other. Den isn't a bad idea, but Dart's size makes him problematic, because of the fact that Dart is much smaller than Percy, and even Philip, rendering Den's chances very slim. Dart's like a narrow gauge engine that runs on standard gauge track. His render is much smaller than Oliver's and Porter's. Open wagons tower over him. I suppose they could scale him up, but I'm not too sure about that. Oliver's Bachmann model isn't as small as his render, but large enough to still be considered an HO engine.

Dart wouldn't be scaled up too much, but he can at least be big enough to have an eye mechanism and motor accommodated.

When it comes to diesels with new toolings, I guess Norman is the most likely, despite his rare speaking roles, and still doesn't have his own episode. He did contribute something to The Great Race; being involved in an accident with Thomas, making the blue tank engine unable to participate. I kind of would rather see Norman, since at least he shouldn't be problematic.

For 2018, Sidney is definitely the most likely, simply because Bachmann has his tooling, and his amount of recent appearances and speaking roles, even having his own episode. Being such a forgetful engine makes him a unique character in the show, and more people are getting interested in him. For HO Scale, Sidney is inevitable. He will also be the last Class 08 character.

Like you said, Plow Bender, ever since Paxton was announced, people really started asking for Sidney. Unlike Cherry Rosie, which some people have been asking for, recolors like Paxton and Sidney are actually separate characters, which makes people want to buy them.

Paxton may get released in spring, if not, next summer for sure. His image may not be revealed until the 2018 catalog gets released. I do think Paxton would sell MUCH better than 'Arry and Bert, especially by the fact that he's not an antagonistic diesel. Even classic series fans like him. I don't know many 'Arry and Bert fans, and their models sold poorly, so there's a good chance they'll soon join Salty in discontinuation.

The only reason not many modelers have made Sidney is because it's difficult to find a good face for him, since he has no TrackMaster model. Do you think Sidney would make a good seller? He's also not an antagonistic diesel.

I think if Sidney does get announced for 2018, that would make Norman inevitable for 2019, so that way, we'd get the whole trio of diesels that made their debut in a not-so-good special. We could get either one for next year, but we won't know until then. Of course, Norman does require a new tooling, but he's not too big (like Daisy) or too small (like Dart). Bachmann did manage to announce Rosie when Oliver was delayed, and both engines required new toolings. I think Norman would make a much better seller than Philip, since Norman is nowhere near as obnoxious, or overused, even though most of his appearances are cameos. If Norman does get made, people would make their own episodes about him. How Bachmann's design would go, they could make Norman's drive wheels and transmission wheel all connected to the same rod, but in the show, another rod is placed over connecting his middle wheel to the transmission wheel. Norman might also have the same length as Duck. Being a diesel shunter, his tooling shouldn't be as hard to make as a steam engine's, since he's more of a box in shape.

I wouldn't mind getting a steam engine like Ryan either. I'd rather have him than Stanley. I REALLY hope Bachmann doesn't make Philip, and even if they do, we can't blame Bachmann; we can blame Mattel.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:59:33 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Plow Bender

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 11, 2017, 07:20:15 PM »

Paxton may get released in spring, if not, next summer for sure. His image may not be revealed until the 2018 catalog gets released. I do think Paxton would sell MUCH better than 'Arry and Bert, especially by the fact that he's not an antagonistic diesel. Even classic series fans like him. I don't know many 'Arry and Bert fans, and their models sold poorly, so there's a good chance they'll soon join Salty in discontinuation.

I know I seem to say this about everything, but I think many would be happy to see Paxton released in time for Christmas.  When you consider the fact that his tooling is already there, all Bachmann really has to do is just make a new tooling for the face.  After all Skarloey (who had a completely new tooling) was released about a year after he was announced, so I think Paxton could potentially have a chance too if Bachmann can avoid any delays.

On the topic of Arry and Bert though, I was actually quite a big fan of them back when they were introduced in Season 5.  What I really liked about them was their dark personalities and just how they literally had no sympathy when it came to scrapping steam engines.  When I really lost interest in them was in Season 6 (Episode: Middle Engine) when they went from being almost homicidal villains to mediocre pranksters.  If Arry and Bert had just stayed the same devious villains they were back in Season 5, they probably would have a larger fan base and their models may have done better in terms of sales.  Sadly we live in a time now where all children's shows have to be friendly and have a positive atmosphere...

I wouldn't mind getting a steam engine like Ryan either. I'd rather have him than Stanley. I REALLY hope Bachmann doesn't make Philip, and even if they do, we can't blame Bachmann; we can blame Mattel.

I'm honestly all for seeing Ryan introduced in HO, but also in large scale.  Sadly I see more of a chance for Philip in large scale, simply because Bachmann favors smaller models in the range these days and Philip fits the part.  I could drag this discussion out a little longer, but I'm kind of pressed for time.  That being said, I'll pick up on this another day.

-Rusty

TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 11, 2017, 10:00:08 PM »

'Arry and Bert were announced in 2013, but released in the summer of 2014. Paxton might suffer that same delay.

Political correctness must have been what butchered 'Arry and Bert from complete psychos, to silly pranksters, just to make it more kid-friendly.

If Bachmann absolutely has to make Philip, I'd rather see him in Large Scale than HO Scale. I'd rather see Mavis of course, but Large Scale is dying, so we can't expect much there anymore. Large Scale has only a few years left. It won't EVER outsell HO Scale.

Do you think Norman has a better chance than Daisy? Even though Daisy has had plenty of starring roles, she's a big engine, and Bachmann hasn't made any big engines for the Thomas line since Donald and Douglas. Since then, we keep getting tank engines and diesel shunters, and only one engine gets announced a year now. Norman shouldn't be a problem at all, since he's a diesel shunter, and he's not too big, or too small. Unlike Daisy, Norman has a fixed wheelbase, so an eye mechanism will easily work for him. Norman is probably the most likely new tooling, despite most of his appearances being cameos. Rosie was a very similar case, but they made her as an attempt to bring girls into the hobby; a marketing tool, because of this "girls like pink" stereotype.

If Bachmann makes Ryan, then they'd have to make Daisy, so we can have the Harwick duo.

It would be cool to have both Sidney and Norman announced, with one engine using a new tooling, and one using an existing tooling, but I wouldn't count on it, since like I said above, Bachmann only announces one engine in recent years. They did a very similar thing in 2015, when they announced Oliver and the Celebration Thomas for the 70th Anniversary, but also keep in mind that no engine was announced in 2014. So there's a very good chance we'll only get one or the other, at least in the same year.
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 11, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »

I'm sure what butchered Arry and Bert (among other things) was Season 6+ bringing out a new team of incompetent young writers fresh out of college who had no idea what Thomas or a train was.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 11, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »

The issue with Norman isn't so much the fact that he is a new tooling, but he is basically a nobody character compared to Paxton in Sidney. While Paxton made perfect sense to me, Sidney only just recently had some lead roles and regular CGI appearances in the last two seasons.  Norman has barely done anything since his introduction, so introducing him at this point would be pointless.

I think because Philip is pretty small and simple to make, I feel like if Bachmann were to do him, I could see him only in large scale like Winston.
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 12, 2017, 12:19:49 AM »

So, I guess Norman's lack of proper roles and character development makes him a long shot. Norman still remains a blank slate as a character, making him a long shot for Bachmann.

Who do you think is the most likely new tooling? Ryan, Daisy, Stanley, Porter, Samson, or someone else?

Philip could be too small for HO. Porter would need to be scaled up.

As for Stafford, he would be the first electric engine, but, like Norman, is also a blank slate as a character.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:29:25 AM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 12, 2017, 12:43:38 AM »

If we're gonna be real, I feel like discussion and attention should be focused on Daisy more than any other character; she's a classic character whose had a lot of modern representation, a female character, and a very simple design tooling wise. She could easily pass for a single body mold. I don't think size is an issue in that regard, especially since she's far from the largest diesel engine on the show. Hopefully it's not too late for Bachmann to consider her for the 2018 range.
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 12, 2017, 12:54:12 AM »

I quite agree!

Daisy is a classic character who's been making a lot of regular CGI appearances. She may be big, but she is really a box in shape. She would be the first bogied diesel in the Thomas line. I really hope Bachmann can make her someday. She would be a huge seller. Not even Hornby made her. Daisy's render is actually good.

Norman's been a character since 2011, and he still has no episode to himself, and minimal speaking roles. Even Rosie had a few starring roles. The fact that Norman rarely speaks makes me wonder if Mattel really cares about him. It wasn't until just last season when Sidney finally started making regular appearances. If Sidney can make regular appearances, why not Norman? Seriously, an episode dedicated to Norman is LONG overdue. It's taking forever. Mattel let Sidney have his own episode last season. Do they really care about Norman?

For HO Scale, Philip suffers the same problem as Dart, being his tiny size. Bachmann avoids making engines smaller than Percy for HO Scale, because their mechanisms wouldn't fit. They did manage to make Bill and Ben, but they weren't too small. There's a reason why Winston exists in Large Scale, but will never be made in HO. Philip's definitely more suitable for Large Scale, as well as any other character smaller than Percy.

In the show, Bill and Ben got scaled up to fit their eye mechanisms and motors. They got rendered in that same size for continuity.

If Winston has any chance in HO Scale at all, Bachmann UK would need to make the Type 4B two seat Wickham Trolley. Bachmann UK has Wickham Trolleys, but not the specific one Winston is based off of. If that eventually gets made, Bachmann can repaint the tooling, and add a face. I wouldn't count on Winston ever being made in HO Scale, nor do I expect him anytime soon, but it's just an idea of how it could be done.

Ryan might have a similar length to Duck. For a steam engine, his tooling doesn't look too hard to make. Porter would complete Brendam Docks, especially for those lucky enough to get Salty. For scaling, Bachmann can do to Porter what they did to Oliver; still being small, but not as small as his render, and large enough to still be considered an HO engine.

Whoever gets announced for 2018, whether it's Ryan, Daisy, Sidney, Norman (long shot, I know), or Porter, I'd welcome any of them with open arms.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:51:32 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 12, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »

Considering we're still waiting on Rheneas, it's concerning if we'll even get an engine for the 2018 range.
TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »

We can only hope Rheneas gets released by Christmas.

EDIT:
To avoid double-posting, I decided to edit this post to talk about something else.

Now that Great Race characters are getting more appearances soon, I thought maybe I can talk about some that could possibly join the HO range someday.

The main one (Ashima) doesn't seem too hard. The only complication I see from her is her flywheels. It probably won't be too hard to paint her decals, but she has a very detailed livery.

Bachmann could easily do characters like Gina, Ivan, and Raul. Raul is the smallest, but he shouldn't be too small. If Bachmann ever does tender engines again, they could probably make Frieda, Axel, Yong Bao, and Carlos. Vinnie and Shane seem too big. Etienne's pantographs would breech the NMRA standards like Diesel 10's claw. As for Rajiv, he's too decorated, and his design is complicated.

I wouldn't expect any of the Great Race characters to be made for at least several years.
It would take well over a decade to get them all. Even if some do get made eventually, we most certainly won't get all 12, especially Etienne and Rajiv, whose designs are way too problematic. Even other ranges haven't made them all. The toy ranges only made a handful of them, and that's perfectly fine.

Bachmann models are a lot more complicated to make, so if they do eventually make these characters, it's perfectly understandable why we most certainly won't get them all. Just a few would be understandable. Next season, they'll be given character development.

Just thought this would be an interesting topic.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:23:31 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Plow Bender

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 18, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »

We can only hope Rheneas gets released by Christmas.

Considering we finally have a product image of Rheneas, I'm actually feeling confident that Bachmann will have him available in time for Christmas.  I'd say however that it's going to be a limited supply (just like Skarloey), so don't wait to get the model when it becomes available.  At this point I've pretty much written off the chance of Rusty being out by then, considering we haven't seen neither test shots or images of the model, much less any updates from Bachmann about him as well.  Hopefully we'll get some updates on Rusty next year.

Now that Great Race characters are getting more appearances soon, I thought maybe I can talk about some that could possibly join the HO range someday.

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think this is really a topic worth going into considering the direction the Bachmann range has been going lately.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Ashima from Bachmann (considering she is my favorite character after all), but chances of her (or any other Great Race characters) being made seem about as likely as putting your hand on a stove and expecting not to get burned.  That's just my thoughts on the matter, but if you want to discuss the topic, feel free to do so.

-Rusty

TrainFan97

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 18, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »

Yeah, any Great Race character is definitely a long shot. We're much better off talking about Daisy, and the demand she is getting. Daisy would make a much better seller than Sidney, or even Ryan.

Another long shot is The Diesel (Class 40) from Bowled Out. He's only ever appeared in Season 4. The only reason I'm bringing him up is because Bachmann UK has the tooling for him. He wouldn't have moving eyes, but I wouldn't care. They are making the Spiteful Brakevan in Large Scale, who's only ever appeared in Season 2, but the only difference is that the Spiteful Brakevan is a piece of rolling stock, while for HO/OO Scale, Class 40 is an engine, which has a lot more effort put into it.

Toad and McColl's Cattle Wagon are Bachmann UK toolings, but they're rolling stock, which don't have as much effort as engines. I'm not saying I'll expect Class 40 in the range anytime soon, due to his only appearances in Season 4, but this is all just a thought. Using the Bachmann UK tooling to make him, by repainting it, and adding a face. It's only an idea of how he could be made, but kids of this generation wouldn't even know who he is, so I don't expect him.

If any bogied diesel has a chance, it's Daisy, and she would use a new tooling. At least kids would be familiar with her, since she's in the CGI series. At least she's actually high in demand.

I always try to be realistic with my ideas. I even said Class 40 is a long shot, and chances of him being made are very slim. Though, I have been talking about long shot characters a lot lately, but I do try my best to be realistic.

Class 40 can just be made through modeling, but the only issue is the face. It's really hard to find the perfect size face for a Bachmann UK Class 40, especially since his Hornby model is discontinued, and really hard to find.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:47:19 PM by TrainFan97 » Logged
Titanic5972

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 19, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »

Donít forget all of Bachmann UKís Models are 1/76 OO Gauge, the US Thomas range is 1/87 HO Gauge. The diesel would be way too big.
Sparks

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 19, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »

Donít forget all of Bachmann UKís Models are 1/76 OO Gauge, the US Thomas range is 1/87 HO Gauge. The diesel would be way too big.
The Thomas range is marketed as HO due to name familiarity in the US, but all of the rolling stock is OO. The only thing in the range that has ever been HO were the repainted Plasticville buildings.

All of the rolling stock is OO gauge, with most of it being former Mainline (Bachmann UK) equipment, with the Thomas locomotives being made to be in-scale and configure with said Mainline rolling stock. Even the new resin buildings are OO scale, proportionate to other UK brand buildings.

If Bachmann Thomas was HO scale, he'd look a lot smaller next to an American locomotive than the Bachmann model currently does.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: