News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Max Incline

Started by Jack TS, August 26, 2015, 09:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack TS

Richard and all, Thanks for the advise. Seems like a great RR community and I am thankful the advise. Much like my Reef Aquarium hobby forum I expect I will be back here often. I am rethinking my plans after hearing the incline advise.
I will set up the photobucket account.

richardl

Photo Bucket can addictive you might say.

Plan on what you might want for albums and don't move a photo to a different album. Just add the same photo to the new album.
Photo Bucket will warn you. After a while, you can lose track of where a photo is.
Also, if you delete a photo, where ever you posted the photo, it will disappear.

I have seen many solutions to issues happen much quicker with photos, especially to layout design. Every so often I see a post in different forums where someone has a short in the layout and did not realise they had a reverse loop or cross over.
It is a good idea to get a buzzer and nine volt battery from Radio Shack and connect it across the point you will connect the power. If it buzzes, you will realise there is a short, somewhere. The same can be done with a multimeter that has an audible alarm in case of a short.

Good luck.

Rich

jbrock27

Couldn't go w/o recommending a Harbor Freight meter to a new guy huh RichG/richardl? :D

Jack before you buy a Harbor Freight meter, read the reviews on them first (do that for any meter you are considering in fact) then go buy a decent meter.  Rich fails to mention a decent meter does not mean an expensive one; no need to go buy a Fluke but a good one that will last, can be had for less than $20.  A Craftsman for one example.  An no, Rich is correct, this is not rocket science.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

If you're not partial to HF, Lowes and Home Depot both have decent digital multimeters in the $25 range.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: richardl on August 27, 2015, 10:46:45 PM
No idea of what your level of model railroading is like.
Rich

No idea huh? 
And I certainly would know I had a reverse loop w/o having set one up then rely on a buzzer to tell me I had one.

The only issues are when the battery starts to run down or the one fuse blows that protects the current readings circuit.
Rich

This is why I suggest reading reviews on a product first.  Not everyone has 3 other meters to go to when one fails, nor should people have to have 3 others as backup for when 1 decides to not work.

Worked for NASA for fifteen year and used the best equipment so I know what to look for if ever an issue.
Rich

I know, we know.  You have made mention of that on numerous occasions, both as RichG and richardl.

Like having more than one hammer, screwdriver, locomotive, etc.
Rich

I would not say it's like having more than one of those things.  A multi meter, while capable of testing several things, has one job.   Different hammers are used to perform different jobs.  Same with screwdrivers, not all work for the same job.  Can you use 2 hammers or 2 screwdrivers simultaneously? 
And locos, well of course, who doesn't want more than one loco? :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Agree Len.  The one I use in fact, came out of Home Depot.  Never had a problem with it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richardl

offensive material removed.

Rich

jbrock27

There was no need to have.  I did not find anything "offensive" and certainly, no offense was taken here  ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

I have three VOMs; one is a Simpson that is older than  Brock;  one is a Rat Shack with carrying case; both are analog, and work just fine.  In the truck, I have, as a weapon of choice, a Fluke digital.  This is a good unit as well.  I didn't think I would be too cool with the digital readout, but I am.
Rich.C 

jbrock27

That can't be that old, I am just a kid. :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

I  am  " THAT  OLD " and  I  have at least  six  VOMs  both Analog  & Digital   .  I must also admit that  I  am a tool junkie   and also  Quality Assurance Inspector who did do electrical inspection .   Having  been involved  in a lot of hobbies that require information  about  the condition  of electrical  equipment , meters of various types are the only way to really know what is what and to how many decimal places  .   Consider the number and types of battery operated equipment we have to deal with from watches , phones , tools , and vehicles of  one sort or another .   Existence requires information . John2.

electrical whiz kid

...I try not to be a "tool junkie"-I mean, I try REALLY hard!  Doesn't work.  What is a little comical is that my son doesn't know which end of a hammer to grasp.  His wife does, and she is good at this stuff-construction, I mean.

When a tool either has exceeded it's life/usefulness, out it goes. On the other hand, it is comforting to know that I have them and the knowledge of their "how-to".  NOW...some day, I will have to live up to that little jewel.

RIch C 

Jack TS

Thanks 203, My grandson was born in Athens Tn. and I am using the Smokey Mountain area as my design plan area. Your first link was quite apropos.

electrical whiz kid

Trainman;
That first one was an extremely interesting read.  Thank you for the info.  That looks like it could be a bit of a challenge, even for a veteran engineer!

RIch C.