News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

So, what happened to the 2-8-2?

Started by rogertra, August 29, 2015, 03:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

Back in 1950, I got yo see one of U.P.s 4-12-2 leave the roundhouse , turn on the tt, and leave to pick up its train.  Saw a 4-12-4 on Ebay, but it turned out to be a 4-6-6-4. 

ebtnut

The 4-10-2's, like the 4-12-2's, were 3-cylinder locos.  The third cylinder was underneath the smokebox and drove one of the driver axles that had a crank built into it.  If you remember the old Rivarossi IHB 0-8-0, those locos also had 3 cylinders. 

ebtnut

Hadn't seen an answer yet - Any update on delivery, Mr. Yardmaster?

Len

Sounds like the bad old days of software update releases, "It will be out real soon now."  ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Len on October 02, 2015, 12:26:01 PM
Sounds like the bad old days of software update releases, "It will be out real soon now."  ;D

Len

According to Bachmann's E-News Letter, the USRA Light 2-8-2's will be shipping in late October.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ryeguyisme on September 30, 2015, 09:27:23 PM
The Union Pacific had 4-10-2's which is like the smaller sibling of their 4-12-2's, they're really neat overland looking engines :)

I was contemplating buying one in brass and modifying it to seem more like it hung around the Rockies(even though the curves in the Rockies wouldn't fare well with that kind of wheelbase..

What?

The CPR Selkirk 2-10-4 made its home in the Canadian Rockies, From Calgary to Banff to Field to Golden to Revelstoke. Hard to find another run as long mainly in the mountains. Before the Selkirks CPR ran their 2-10-2's.
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Nice to see the newletter with the 2-8-2's. How come no Vandy tenders on any of these versions?
Pacific Northern

electrical whiz kid

Vanderbilt tenders:
I am not sure of Bachmann wants this info out-and I will understand if they delete it-but on their "parts" section of this site, you may find what you are looking for.

Rich C.

richardl

So Micro Mark shows the 2-8-2 with sound right now. Add to cart, not pre-order. $237.00.
The 4-6-0's are pre-order.

Rich

ebtnut

I just got my new 2-8-2.  I put it on the test track running stratight DC with an MRC Tech II.  It has a bit of a stutter when starting to move, and the lights flash a couple of times.  Once it gets started it runs smoothly.  Is this a result of running on DC?  Thoughts?  At the moment I don't have access to anyone with a DCC layout to check the operationg in that mode. 

jonathan

Yep. That's normal for my dual mode Bachmann's on DC.  Takes about 50% throttle--they stutter for a second while the lights and sound get enough juice to respond, then they run fine.  Response is normal on DCC.

Looking forward to getting one and playing with it.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

OK, thanks much Jonathon.  Thought that might be the case.  Am looking forward to cranking her up on DCC one of these days.  Our club in McKeesport is planning to go DCC in about 18 months so things there will be good. 

richardl

In decoders, it takes at least five volts for just the microprocessor to just wake up. Maybe a couple more volts for the loco to begin moving. Nature of the beast.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

richardl;
I think you are correct.  In real life, a capacitor start/induction run motor is used in hard-to-start applications.  Not so for HO scale.  I think that perhaps concentrating on the running gear; making sure moving parts are smooth, not binding up or moving improperly, kept clean and properly lubricated, is probably going to be where we as consumers, jump in.  You may be able to fiddle around with the electrical end, but is it worth the fuss, math, and aggravation?

Rich C.