News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

So, what happened to the 2-8-2?

Started by rogertra, August 29, 2015, 03:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

I took my new Mike up to the club on Friday, mostly to show it to the guys.  Turns out some of them were in the process of hooking up one of the branch lines for DCC, so I actually got the try it out.  I'm very pleased with the operation of the loco.  Some things will need to be adjusted whenever I can get to someone with a programming track.  The chuff rate is too fast, and I'm not thrilled with the default whistle.  But of course those are easy adjustments. 

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
the bottom photo:  Where do you find those round single-pin plugs?  They look like they are great-are they?
Second question:  What kind of damage will I do by removing that "DCC-ready" board?  The  plugs, wires, etc; are a drag.  Stowing a DCC board may be an issue in that smaller tender, with the other board, etc; in there. 
I bought some of the "K-4" tenders to use with the 2-8-0s.  They appear to be a happy medium for the consolidations.  We'll see.

Rich C. 

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
Thanks much for the help here; specifically, what I desire is to take the conductors (EG the track leads; of which I have three sets), and wire them directly to the DCC board; and the other leads-motor, lighting, etc.-and just connect them directly to the leads from the board; thus eliminating that [DCC-ready] board. 
My 'logic' as an old-school, master electrician, says it will work; but I am concerned with things like overcurrent protection that may be an integral part of the existing circuit board; also can the DCC board actually handle the current draw?  I know what the MFGrs tout, but... The boards I am using are older NCE pc boards.  As you know, being an electrician doesn't necessarily mean one is good at electronics, or instantly knows the innards of this "new" stuff.
I prefer to take the "all the help I can get" stance...