Adding decoder to existing ON30 steam engines

Started by wittenberg, February 14, 2007, 06:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wittenberg

I have purchased 3 pack of decoders and hode no problem moding Climax (removing dummy and plugging in decoder to board under coal cover). I have a 2-6-0 Steam Engine (22) and a Porter. Do they have similar boards for plugging in to? If so, how do I access them? Thanks

0n30nutz

Neither the Mogul (2-6-0) nor the Porter are DCC ready and must be fitted with decoders by you or someone specializing in DCC installations. I will be doing my Mogul  ;D, my Porter is coming back from one company that was unable to do installation  :(. The Porters are very difficult to disassemble and do an installation in...Good Luck !

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

eric

Harold Minkwitz's web site has instructions for how he installed a decoder in a Mogul.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul%5Fdcc/

Ray Montgomery posted instructions for how he installed a decoder in an 0-4-0/0-4-2.

http://www.datamasta.com/emags/how_to/d_2005_oct_03.asp

Hope this helps.

Eric Root

wittenberg

jpipkin

I have added Bachmann decoders to both the 2-6-0 and 0-4-0 Porter.  It wasn't particularly difficult, but deffinitely not for the faint of heart.  At this time I have two 0-4-0's apart in the process of adding decoders.  I also rebuild the headlights for surface mount LED's.  I remove the cab lights and contacts for them.

br549

I have a 0-4-0 with dcc and sound (DSD-090LC  steam) from soundtraxx the DSD and speaker had to be mounted in a donor HO tender due to no where to hide it. It has been done with the digitrax decoders and successfully hidden under the pilot but it didn't have sound and mine does. :D  One word of caution I remember reading in the on-line instruction was with the 040, By no means, Don't take the gear box apart { I Didn't monkey with the gears at all}.    Over all It was worth  the time I believe as  I too will be installing a DSD100LC into my Mogul very soon! A (TSU 1000) would be better, but the cost of such is :o  prohibitive at this time.   Best regards

Jeff in NJ

I just finished my first DCC install into my newest 2-6-0. It was very easy. I used a Train Control Systems M1 decoder and it fit easily into the smokebox beneath the stack.

My other four Moguls were done by Tony's Train Exchange and have Lenz Gold series decoders in the smokebox.

I've also done about five DCC installs into my 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porters using the TCS M1s. I fit them in the cab between the cab side and firebox.