Any suggestions for Bachmann's future models?

Started by alco9000fan, September 03, 2015, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

Kudos to J3a for reminding us that IC was a Harriman road, too.  Too often when I think of Harriman roads, all the come to mind are UP and SP.

Les

electrical whiz kid

I love Yellowstones!
What's the link?
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Dave (Or who ever the Bachmann is at this date)
The site is Greenway.com  .  I have known them and have bought their products for about ten years, and have never been dissatisfied.  Al and Bill are tremendous guys, and will be there to help and assist.
I picked up some brass four-wheel express trucks, specifically for two tenders; both will be behind the mikes I am building.  A word about Bachmann:  The mechanisms-as well as the structures themselves-are "par excellente", and are good enough to stand on their own merit on my layout as well as most guys out there-and I certainly have no qualms about looking at any locomotive and doing a "Bill Schopp" to it, in order to get what I want.  The worst thing to happen is  that you wind up tossing it away.  It's NOT a living thing; it is only a mechanism, so no problem.

Rich C.

Trainman203

I like Yellowstones too but aren't there enough articulated engines already?  And not enough small engines?

Trainman203

Quote from: Desertdweller on September 11, 2015, 11:07:01 PM
Kudos to J3a for reminding us that IC was a Harriman road, too.  Too often when I think of Harriman roads, all the come to mind are UP and SP.

Les

And NO ONE remembers that the Central of Georgia was a Harriman line too.  We are stuck in an SP, UP, ATSF, PRR and NYC mold, when there were DOZENS of now fallen flags.

Trainman203

"...........doing a "Bill Schopp" to it......."

Rich.  You are showing your age.  And mine.  To remember the immortal Mr. Schopp.  Let's take a poll and see who else does. And, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't that a pen name?  If so, who would rembember his real name.

Or am I thinking of "Eric LaNal"?

Len

I'm pretty sure Bill "If it's brass, bash!" Schopp was his real name.

I think some of the things he did would give current brass collectors, as Aunt Emma would say, "The vapors." Or maybe apoplexy. ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

That was back when __ __  magazine was worth reading over and over.  To day, one time and I am done with it.  I don't know, maybe age has something to do with it.

J3a-614

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 13, 2015, 07:10:16 PM
And NO ONE remembers that the Central of Georgia was a Harriman line too.  We are stuck in an SP, UP, ATSF, PRR and NYC mold, when there were DOZENS of now fallen flags.

You find out something new all the time!  I didn't know about the Harriman connection with the CofG until now.

http://railga.com/cofg.html

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1040.htm

J3a-614

Quote from: RAM on September 13, 2015, 10:51:24 PM
That was back when __ __  magazine was worth read over and over.  To day, one time and I am done with it.  I don't know, maybe age has something to do with it.

I suspect part of that might be the relative lack of steam locomotive articles compared with the days of John Allen, Bill Schopp, and others. . .and ditto for MR. 

When's the last time we saw locomotive drawings in MR, particularly steam, that we used to see with some frequency?

quark51

Release the locomotives that are sold only with sound and dcc without sound and dcc like the SD70ACe and ES44AC and Norfolk Southern F7B #4275.

Len

Quote from: quark51 on September 14, 2015, 12:28:41 AM
Release the locomotives that are sold only with sound and dcc without sound and dcc like the SD70ACe and ES44AC and Norfolk Southern F7B #4275.

That might even get them into a price range I can afford. Being retired on a fixed income does have it's down side.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Trainman, Len, and others...
HAW!!! ;D  Yep-showing my age; why I do not date twenty-some-things...

I first read Model Railroader overseas in June, 66, my first TDY to SEA.  Trust me, I had little other than my job to do at the assignment, so the base library believe it or not-carried a subscription  to MR.  First layout I looked at was the A&LP; Whit Towers' layout.  The rest has been downhill...
Seriously, I would not advocate duplicating a 2-8-8-4 to a "Yellowstone" product to sell.  These were wonderfully 'statement-full' iron horses; but you can use an existing Bachmann to achieve that end. The parts are out there; anyone who can read can modify one; it is that easy.  Trust me; unless you are going to do a complete brass rebuild of a COMPLETELY DETAILED locomotive, modifying a plastic Bachmann is going to be a lark!  I have seen 'brass-on-brass' super-detailing, and it is NOT for the faint of heart.  Try doing a plastic modification; you probably won't be sorry you did.

Rich C.

quark51

Bachmann should produce many of its locomotives that have sound and dcc only without sound and dcc, not everyone has deep pockets to shell out 150.00 or more because Bachmann does not want to be bothered to produce the locomotives without sound and dcc. I noticed that other companies that sell model trains sell them with sound and dcc and non sound and dcc. I am not going to mention the other companies here. I am not trying to bash Bachmann because about half of the locomotives I own are Bachmann.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on September 14, 2015, 08:22:23 PM
I have seen 'brass-on-brass' super-detailing, and it is NOT for the faint of heart. 

Definitely wouldn't recommend my methods to get a cab off to make a Sports cab for a couple brass engines:

don't try this at home kiddos! ::) :-X

Desertdweller

I remember Bill Schopp.  And Alan Rice (Eric Lanal), Whit Towers, John Allen, and all the rest.  I would read Schopp's conversion articles with fascination, as he chopped up (now) priceless brass locos while I couldn't even afford the plastic versions.  Wouldn't you like to look through his "scrap box"?

Les