Any suggestions for Bachmann's future models?

Started by alco9000fan, September 03, 2015, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alco9000fan

Howdy everyone. I have thought about this subject for a while now, and noticed that Bachmann is really stepping up their game in the model railroad buisness with the recent pictures and videos of the USRA 2-8-2 sound value locomotive being produced soon. But as some of us would like, let's have our ideas of models we would like seen made by Bachmann.

One that I would love to see on the market again with today's updated technology and possible DCC capability is the old 0-4-0 Docksider or even the B&O C16a locomotive with the tender for sound capabilities. They would be great for people who want a model that fits a switcher and so we modelers don't need to modify the older ones and get them DCC ready. I myself am working on an old Rivarossi C16a and that's a nightmare! But it'll get there soon. As I also own a IHC 0-4-0 Docksider that I plan to add DCC maybe sound. The only thing is those are very hard to come by.

If enough people get an idea started at Bachmann, maybe we will get a good model of a company who can deliver good models for us people wanting them!
Good day all!

CNE Runner

OK, I'll jump in here. I'd like to see Bachmann make their On30 Plymouth switcher in HO scale. A well-running 0-6-0 tank engine would also work for me (although Mantua and Rivarossi already make such a model). With the proliferation of small, mini-layouts today - smaller industrial/dockside locomotives should generate considerable interest in the hobby...whether or not that justifies the expense of tooling, etc. remains to be seen.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Piyer

Cousin to the 0-4-0 "dockside" switcher would be the early boxcab switchers - both the solid box and the box with sloped end hoods. These days we see to have good coverage on most models from the 1950s through today, but we could use some models of pre-WWII era early diesels, industrial-sized locomotives (some of which were quite big), and early electric locomotives. That said, I'm not sure if any of my suggestions would fit with today's sales economics.  :-\
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

alco9000fan

As I see more layouts these days orientated to switching duty for those who can only run a shelf layout, I think smaller models on the market would work. The older stuff that people made previously is very, well outdated! And it forces most of us to really either run DC only or take the time, money and know how on converting so many of our models.

As you mentioned Piyer, we have too much of 1950's and nothing I. The pre teens of early American railroading. And as Ray mentioned, it may cause a uplift into the hobby more frequently and the models for switching operations could be rather more successful than not. Although I run a 4' x 8' HO layout, most larger Union Pacific steamers like FEF, Big Boy and a 4-12-2, I would like to have a real reliable steam switcher that could do either by prototype or freelanced. I guess time will tell. But as some stated, wel would like to see more industrial/Switching operation kind of locomotives. Tooling and costs to build a new model is also very diffuclt, as we are not a company have only have a small and artificial degree of knowledge to what goes into it!

Keep them coming folks, and thanks for any input!

Rick Abramson

I'd like to see a nice Lima-Hamilton 1200HP switcher.

wiley209

Maybe Bachmann could make an HO-scale Amtrak ACS-64 electric locomotive? They started using them early last year, and I've been seeing more of them now.
I remember the first time I saw one, in February 2014 at South Station in Boston. I saw as it pulled up to the platform, having just hauled a passenger train from Washington D.C. I remember quite a few people on the platform stopped to take pictures of it, since it was so new!

Because I will admit, it's a little odd how they still make the HHP-8, as all of the real prototypes have since been retired in favor of the ACS-64s.

Rick Abramson

I asked about the ACS-64 and the reply from Bachmann was that they had no plans at this time to make one. :(

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Personally, I would like to see a USATC S160 class 2-8-0 as there are no ready to run off the shelf models of them (American or British versions) anywhere. Another model I would like to see is a more "Old Time" style 4-6-0 similar in design to the Sierra Railway's #3 as it was a more generic design from the late 1800's (the engine was built in 1895 and in my opinion, anything from before 1905 is an "Old Time" locomotive) that could be lettered for many roadnames and be made to have wood, coal or oil bunkers as the Sierra Railway's #3 was built to burn coal, then later converted to burn oil and has been seen as a wood burner in most of the movies and TV shows that I have seen it appear in. Or even some more Northern US road names like Great Northern or Northern Pacific as well as Milwaukee Road, DMIR, C&NW, Soo Line, Burlington and Rock Island in the way of steam engines as there aren't enough of those road names on the market and some even ran as far west as Portland and Seattle mind you. I understand it is because the more "Popular" (and I use the term loosely) Road Names are the UP, SP, ATSF, B&O, PRR and NYC; that there aren't more Midwest and Pacific Northwest roadnames available in steam as affordable plastic models. But, there are a lot of people here in the Midwest and Northern US who are Railway Model Enthusiasts (because it is one of the few things those of us who live in the colder climates of this country can do during those harsh winters that most everywhere else in the country can't even imagine can do to keep ourselves sane when we are stuck inside for about half the year at times, and I should know as I live in Minnesota) who want to model road names local to their area of the country in using readily available, affordable, models and unfortunately, the only way to get steam engines from some of the local road names (which for me are the ones I listed earlier that I would like to see appear more in steam engines such as the Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Milwaukee Road, Soo Line, DMIR, C&NW, and Rock Island) is the much more expensive "Brass Option" or the much less (in my mind anyway) favorable PRR/UP/SP/ATSF/B&O/NYC based design painted to look like a steam engine that would have been seen around the Northern Midwest and North Western part of the country as is a common site within most of the manufacturers out there. And I know people have gone off on me whenever I speak my mind on the matter stating that "What WE need is more USRA/Generic steam engines not engines specific to a single railroad or a couple railroads.", not keeping in mind that most of their precious "USRA/Generic" steam engines are based on ONE Railroads version of that wheel arrangement and is then repainted into paint schemes of railroads whose steamers looked nothing like that or railroads who didn't even have any engines of that wheel arrangement. Now don't get me wrong, Bachmann's USRA engines are great in the fact each roadname has details specific to that roadname as eveident with the USRA Light 2-10-2 or USRA Heavy 4-8-2 and even the upcoming USRA Light 2-8-2 and I even have one of the DMIR USRA Light 2-10-2's and love it because it looks like the real engine and even plan on getting a couple of the 2-8-2 when it releases. But the thing is that not all railroads had identical looking locomotives. For example, a 4-8-4 on the Union Pacific looked different from the 4-8-4's of the Milwaukee Road which looked different from the 4-8-4's of the N&W, which looked different from the one's on the Northern Pacific and I really won't continue that as it would take much too long. What I am saying is while for most the "Big Six" railroads in the US may be fine for people who live in those areas or are fans of those railroads because they may have been from there originally, but those of us who, like myself, maybe were born and grew up in an area of the country were those local railroads aren't exactly represented as much or as well as the "Big Six" are not so lucky when it comes to OUR local road names as model trains and what we usually end up with is model railway museums of sorts with models of trains from across the country with most of which we haven't even seen in our area, even in old photos on the internet, let alone operated in OUR local area's such as the UP, SP, ATSF or PRR, B&O, and NYC.

jward

Quote from: wiley209 on September 03, 2015, 08:53:11 PM

Because I will admit, it's a little odd how they still make the HHP-8, as all of the real prototypes have since been retired in favor of the ACS-64s.

wiley,

they are still using at least 2 hhp8s on MARC out of dc. I saw them last month still strutting their stuff. too bad Bachmann doesn't make theirs in marc paint.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Irbricksceo

I still want a C&O greenbriar, which has thus far only been made in brass, however I know that Bachmann currently produces 3 or 4 4-8-4's so I'l concede that it is unlikely.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Quote from: Rick Abramson on September 03, 2015, 07:28:58 PM
I'd like to see a nice Lima-Hamilton 1200HP switcher.

I'd like to see a Linda Hamilton ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

alco9000fan

Howdy again everyone. I am really enjoying the 2ยข people are putting in here!

If I may put another great locomotive in. I think we should also see a good Box Cab electric diesel based on the older Roundhouse tooling like the ones that where under the NYCRR in the early 1900's, large with the pantograph a and the nice font writing on the sides. Maybe a cheaper EP-5 electric diesel in NHRR (New Haven).

A generic old timer 2-4-0 Bowker or 4-6-0. Similar to the ones made by Rivarossi but I know that Hornby had bought all the new toolings and that would cause friction between the companies. As for steamers, I am anxious to see the new tooling 4-4-0 with Sound Value decoders. Also, maybe Bachmann can use the new Soundtraxx Econami decoders since they could be cheaper for those trying to get into DCC, as the decoders can get costly. And I think the Bachmann Sound Value line is excellent and I would love to own more great models of the time being.

As for rolling stock, maybe we can get some more pre-teen tank cars, shorty flat cars, older style 30'-40' boxcars, and also maybe another look at the old Hienz Pickle car that was a kit some years back. I also want to see another run of a great but very unknown model that people don't know much about. That would be the United States Navy Helium Tank car. Painted dull grey with a silver tank load, that would be pretty under the Spectrum line!

Great input folks, and if anyone has better, let's hear them!
Thank you all for you time! And happy modeling!

jbrock27

Quote from: alco9000fan on September 04, 2015, 01:57:53 PM
I also want to see another run of a great but very unknown model that people don't know much about. That would be the United States Navy Helium Tank car.

Would that be the one put out by AHM years ago? ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I'd like to see a nice local service switcher that's DCC ready, with space for a speaker, that's under $200.00.

I can dream can't I?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

alco9000fan

jbrock27: Bingo! And actually, I have never seen one in person before. You see then on eBay once in a while but the prices they ask is absolutely insane! I also want the one made by Ambroid some years ago. Have yet to get a decent set of 3 or so. I just like the way they look and it's actually got a survivor somewhere in Texas is what I was told by a friend.

For more rolling stock, I would like to see a more prototype accurate Union Pacific caboose. Either the older cupola CA-5 or the Bay Window with the little "slogans" that they painted on them. Maybe the accurate cabooses or the Union Pacific 40' "Steamliners" boxcar with the yellow graphics!

I wonder if Bachmann is reading this?  ???

Marc