Any suggestions for Bachmann's future models?

Started by alco9000fan, September 03, 2015, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Desertdweller on September 15, 2015, 10:52:44 PM
I remember Bill Schopp.  And Alan Rice (Eric Lanal), Whit Towers, John Allen, and all the rest.  I would read Schopp's conversion articles with fascination, as he chopped up (now) priceless brass locos while I couldn't even afford the plastic versions.  Wouldn't you like to look through his "scrap box"?

Les

The more I've seen his name floating around the various forums and the few articles he's written I can't help by want to see more of his stuff.  I chop up brass all the time now to get what I want considering the prices coming down makes it somewhat easier to get obscure locomotives. I love freelancing :)

electrical whiz kid

Rye;
If you have access to back issues of "Railroad model craftsman", look to the issues prior to about 1974.  He was pretty good, and his knowledge of brass conversions is really good.
I got interested in his stuff, as I said before, when I was in SEA. 
Rich C.

Trainman203

Around 1962 or 1963 a guy, I think his name was Bob Darwin, did a long series about superdetailing a brass Big Boy with a few thousand lost wax castings.  Man, he was down almost down to soldering individual rivets everywhere.  The articles were called "The Art of Superdetailing.".

ebtnut

I remember reading those articles on superdetailing the Big Boy.  MR got some flack from readers asking why spend all that ink when most of them can't afford a brass Big Boy.  The answer was in the larger view of understanding Darwin's techniques, problem-solving and general knowledge of what all those castings represented and how they worked on the prototype, applicable to any superdetailing job.

Trainman203

Some more names from down model railroading' s memory lane ...... E.L Moore.  Chuck Yungkurth. Gil Melle.  Gordon Odegard.  Bill McClanahan.  Paul Jansen.  Ben King.

E.L. Moore was my favorite.  He did a southern hillbilly shortline full of puns and twists , which in turn made me create mine which lives to this day.  Whatever happened to him?

And who did the Grey Burro Line?  A 4'x4' HO layout with not one piece of straight track.  It was all  curved switches and beautifully detailed.

alco9000fan

Ok everyone.. Pardon my long absence. I've been busy with life and see that some are starting to get off topic.

As another input, I would also agree that the reintroduction from Bachmann 4-6-0 is a great start. Also, looking on the store online I noticed these are somewhat prototyped. Maybe we can also see some exclusives to certain lines, and so forth. As far as anything modern, I can't apply my words worth to that as I don't particularly care for modern equipment. So forgive me my fellow modern modelers!

I also saw that Bachmann is going to start manufacturing E units! That I am very excited to see, and would love to see some on my layout even though I am strictly steam. If I can suggest one, may we be see the GM "Train of Tomorrow" as I am also a GM enthusiast and could Bachmann also make the dome liner train following the units?? It's very scarce to get a "Train of Tomorrow" and even going into the Union Pacific era!

Just letting the gears spin and possibly Bachmann can consider my pleas!!  ;)

Marc.

electrical whiz kid

on EL Moore:

I got a kick out of one article in particular; it was in one of the 67 issues of RMC; it was "W.E.Snatchem, undertakers"
From which, I believe an AHM building kit evolved.  As he did a lot of stuff in balsa, he also took a couple of good-natured swipes at Northeastern model railroad sy. "Mr. Northeastern"; referring to the model wood mfgr in Methuen Mass.

Schopp was an influence on my modeling skills, and thought process dealing with this hobby, as well.

There was also a 4-8-8-4 built of 24KT GOLD by some doctor in Italy.  Ahhh, the good ol' days....
Rich C.

jonathan

OK, I'll chime in as well.

Would love to see Bachmann do the B&O S-1a 2-10-2.

For years and years... and years, Rivarossi, then IHC produced the S1a, which are now ancient.  The revitalized Rivarossi no longer has the molds and has no intention of reproducing this model, from what I've read anyway.

The EM1 is selling like hotcakes, why not the S1a?

I have a brass one, but as a true collector's item, it never comes out of the box.  Would love to have one I could run and run and run.

Well, we can dream anyway.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

I keep and eye out at train shows for the Rivarossi S-1's at something approaching a reasonable price.  My goal is to mate the superstructure to an IHC 2-10-2 that has the right size drivers and runs much better than the Rivarossis ever did.  I agree it would be great if Bachmann did one, but they did the USRA Light which is more generic and can be lettered for a number of differnt roads. 

jonathan

ebtnut,

I considered the same project.  :) I know others have done this successfully.

At train shows, the vendors are aware of this and price these old locomotives outrageously.  I can't bring myself to pay big bucks for well-used/aged equipment. 

Regards,

Jonathan 

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
You can't-and I wouldn't.  Some of these guys should be hoisting the Jolly Roger so we know where the cut-throats are hiding.
As I look at about twenty drawer cases of parts, I have to wonder where I got them all!  Never mind-I know...
Well, the Mike is almost ready for the paint booth, and I am thinking about the next one-a veritable twin.  One of the things I have learned is to keep my locomotive collection on the rails consolidated to the fewest possible types, based upon demands by industry.  I think I am happiest by using prototypical concepts, such as "based upon demand", etc.  This keeps an otherwise believable roster from looking like the Brookdale Zoo!

Rich C.

Desertdweller

E.L. Moore:  If there were a Model Railroading Hall of Fame, he should be in the first rank.  His creations were sometimes used as the basis for plastic kits.  The Molasses Mine, the Garbage Train, The Watermelon Train.  Sometimes the articles were accompanied by poems.

I had visions of an elaborate Southern shortline model railroad with logging camps and moonshine stills.  But from what I have read, he might not even have had a model railroad.
Apparently, he lived in a small house or apartment, and his zany creations were built on a 1960's era metal "TV tray"!

His models would have fit in well on John Allen's Gorre and Daphetid RR.

Les

electrical whiz kid

Les;
I had heard something to that same thing.  According to others, E.L. Moore lived a relative quietly modest life.  I had as well, heard that he didn't have an actual railroad layout.  Some of us actually never get around to doing one.  One of his "poems" went:  Under the spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands (complete with photo of the smithy working at his craft under-you guessed it... the spreading chestnut...tree...

It was good to be in part of the good old days...

Rich C.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: ebtnut on September 18, 2015, 09:56:17 AM
I keep and eye out at train shows for the Rivarossi S-1's at something approaching a reasonable price.  My goal is to mate the superstructure to an IHC 2-10-2 that has the right size drivers and runs much better than the Rivarossis ever did.  I agree it would be great if Bachmann did one, but they did the USRA Light which is more generic and can be lettered for a number of differnt roads. 

I did that with two of em, IHC Chassis, Rivarossi shell. I used bachmann vanderbuilt tenders though.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

ryeguyisme

Quote from: jonathan on September 18, 2015, 08:38:11 AM
OK, I'll chime in as well.

Would love to see Bachmann do the B&O S-1a 2-10-2.

For years and years... and years, Rivarossi, then IHC produced the S1a, which are now ancient.  The revitalized Rivarossi no longer has the molds and has no intention of reproducing this model, from what I've read anyway.

The EM1 is selling like hotcakes, why not the S1a?

I have a brass one, but as a true collector's item, it never comes out of the box.  Would love to have one I could run and run and run.

Well, we can dream anyway.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

I'll take a few if they have surface mount domes, it'd make D&RGW F-81 clones a bit easier to pull off ;)