Turnout is not just a model railroading term

Started by Hunt, September 04, 2015, 12:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

Turnout is not just a model railroading term. So is it Turnout or Switch?

Though not technically correct it is commonplace to find the entire section of trackwork that provides the means for a train to change tracks to be referred to by the label of one of its components – Switch.

Switch and Turnout the technical facts are:
Switch --- is the proper term for the movable parts of a Turnout.
Turnout --- is the proper term for the complete section of trackwork that provides the means for a train to change tracks.
This distinction is confirmed by any credible Railroad/Railway Civil Engineering text. I will leave it for those who wish to know to research what are all the parts of a Turnout.

It is also a fact that Switch is commonly used with few train crew members outside of the knowledgeable ones on the track laying crew having even heard of the term Turnout as it relates to railroad track. It is not uncommon to find a few railroad folks that believe the above definitions are reversed. I also note most of the real railroad folks I have had the pleasure to talk with use Switch as defined above.

Years ago while doing research for some model railroad projects, I asked more than two dozen 1:1 railroad employees from several different Railroads to show me using track or a picture of a Turnout, when it was not convenient t to be on actual track, what was a  switch and what was a turnout. All but one correctly knew the switch is a component of a turnout. The one thought switch and turnout were interchangeable terms. He was correct by his supervisor noting that employee did not yet know much as he had only been on the job two weeks.

Some folks refer to this or that railroad/railway document pointing out it contains Switch with no reference to Turnout. I observe in the ones I have read such documents use Switch as defined above. I suggest a careful reading of the document will reveal that segment is about the movable parts. Also, often such documents are interchanging the word Switch for Points.

Real world railroad examples:

http://www.atlantictrack.com/The%20Source%20Book.pdf  Go to Trackwork section
    Warning large PDF file about 38 MB

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/indytrkstds.pdf

http://www.up.com/customers/ind-dev/operations/specs/track/

Trivia: Around 15 years ago I (no doubt others) called to the attention of Bachmann the trackwork product they labeled Switch is a Turnout. Bachmann did the research and since label a Turnout as such.

jbrock27

Quote from: Hunt on September 04, 2015, 12:37:35 PM
Trivia: Around 15 years ago I (no doubt others) called to the attention of Bachmann the trackwork product they labeled Switch is a Turnout. Bachmann did the research and since label a Turnout as such.

More like trivial. 

Did you receive some rebate, discount coupon, trinket, plaque or award in recognition for this?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

What you call them is determined by your "points" of view...get it?!?  :D

charon

Mesquite Short Line

jbrock27

Yardmaster does have a sense of humor after all...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Of course I have a "sense" of humor - it's some folks lack of "sense" that sometimes makes it seem like I don't....

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

Trivia;  Around 11 month ago, I (no doubt others) called to the attention of Bachmann that their 44899 Assorted Short Connector Sections (N Scale) was incorrectly labeled as containing a section that measured 1.25in. I am unaware if Bachmann did the research, it does not appear the packaging labeling has been changed, or at least it is not corrected in their on line store catalog.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,28392.0.html

@ broccoli27, I have not yet received any rebate, discount coupon, trinket, plaque or award in recognition for this.
For your viewing pleasure, I will post a picture of any said award if/when any of those are presented to me.

Still not sure of the "Point"  user Hunt is trying to convey...
Maybe he's just blowing steam... get it Yardmaster?

A switch can mean a turnout to some.
A turnout can mean a switch to some.
But a point can only ever be a point.
Semantics?
It's small fish no?

Len

Quote from: Hunt on September 04, 2015, 12:37:35 PM
Turnout is not just a model railroading term. So is it Turnout or Switch?

Though not technically correct it is commonplace to find the entire section of trackwork that provides the means for a train to change tracks to be referred to by the label of one of its components – Switch.

Switch and Turnout the technical facts are:
Switch --- is the proper term for the movable parts of a Turnout.
Turnout --- is the proper term for the complete section of trackwork that provides the means for a train to change tracks.
This distinction is confirmed by any credible Railroad/Railway Civil Engineering text. I will leave it for those who wish to know to research what are all the parts of a Turnout.

It is also a fact that Switch is commonly used with few train crew members outside of the knowledgeable ones on the track laying crew having even heard of the term Turnout as it relates to railroad track. It is not uncommon to find a few railroad folks that believe the above definitions are reversed. I also note most of the real railroad folks I have had the pleasure to talk with use Switch as defined above.

Years ago while doing research for some model railroad projects, I asked more than two dozen 1:1 railroad employees from several different Railroads to show me using track or a picture of a Turnout, when it was not convenient t to be on actual track, what was a  switch and what was a turnout. All but one correctly knew the switch is a component of a turnout. The one thought switch and turnout were interchangeable terms. He was correct by his supervisor noting that employee did not yet know much as he had only been on the job two weeks.

Some folks refer to this or that railroad/railway document pointing out it contains Switch with no reference to Turnout. I observe in the ones I have read such documents use Switch as defined above. I suggest a careful reading of the document will reveal that segment is about the movable parts. Also, often such documents are interchanging the word Switch for Points.

Real world railroad examples:

http://www.atlantictrack.com/The%20Source%20Book.pdf  Go to Trackwork section
    Warning large PDF file about 38 MB

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/indytrkstds.pdf

http://www.up.com/customers/ind-dev/operations/specs/track/

Another dead horse gets beaten...

Hunt - For many of us it's a hobby to get away from the 1:1 "real world" rules and ways of doing things.

Yes, yourself included I suspect, there are those that try to replicate the real world in miniature. And more power to them if that's their thing. For others it's pulling "Bazooka Bubble Gum" billboard reefers behind a Tyco "Chattanooga Choo-Choo". Or a, "What if?", DD40AX painted and lettered for the Pennsy heading up a load of Halloween pumpkins.

As the saying goes, "Model railroading is fun.", or it's supposed to be anyway. So if you want to use technically correct terminology in your posts, go for it. If anyone wants to know what the technically correct term for something is, I'm sure they'll ask if they really want to know. But how about cutting the rest of us a bit of slack if we're a bit sloppy with 'switch', 'turnout', 'siding', 'spur', etc., etc.?

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

charon

I always thought the correct terminology was a "goes two ways thingy"   :)
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Hunt

All,
It is your decision to use switch when referring to a turnout. On the other hand, some of you now know better.  I will use turnout when referring to a turnout. I don't intent to deliberately misinform or mislead anyone.

James in FL

QuoteAll,
It is your decision to use switch when referring to a turnout. On the other hand, some of you now know better.  I will use turnout when referring to a turnout. I don't intent to deliberately misinform or mislead anyone.

Wow!

Jerrys HO

Well all the turnouts I bought came with a switch to throw the points.

jbrock27

Quote from: James in FL on September 04, 2015, 04:20:37 PM
@ broccoli27, I have not yet received any rebate, discount coupon, trinket, plaque or award in recognition for this.
For your viewing pleasure, I will post a picture of any said award if/when any of those are presented to me.

Still not sure of the "Point"  user Hunt is trying to convey...
Maybe he's just blowing steam... get it Yardmaster?

LOL!  Well Jimmy, I certainly hope you get your just rewards and are able to post a pic, but of course, I would not recommend you hold your breath. :D
And no, I bet the Yardmaster doesn't get it.  I have changed my mind about his having a sense of humor :(
And yes, I love broccoli!
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

It's déjà vu all over again brocky.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21895.0.html

As I recall Bachmann stopped using the term "Motive Power", on their on line store page, instead switching (see what I did there?) to Diesel, Steam, and Electric Locomotives.
Not sure if trinkets were awarded for that one either.

PS I did not see any replies from you in that thread, did you not reply or were your replies....edited?  :o

FWIW... I did turnout of the driveway onto the street on my way to the flea market this morning.
I also switched lanes when I got to the main road.  ::)