News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HELP with conversion to DCC

Started by ejseider, September 06, 2015, 03:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

Keep throwing mud at those you ridicule as DCC geeks - you will get ignored plus lose ground.  ;D

Trainman203

I don't  need all the extra technology that some insist is essential to run  trains.  The original poster is unnecessarily bamboozled by it all.  He doesn't need it all either.  Some do.  Simple message.  What's good for the goose isn't always  good for the gander.

Hunt

What you opine is perception behind the creation of the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center. At some point you realized lots more can be done with DCC that the use of that system cannot support.

Len

Quote from: ejseider on September 06, 2015, 09:05:50 PM
the 0-6-0 is the version with a tender.  It was a Christmas present.

Ouch! It has a split frame, pancake motor, design that uses the frame for part of the electrical pick up. It can be converted to DCC, but it's a real pain to do.

I have to agree with Jerry on this one, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation just replacing it with the can motor "DCC On-board" version.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Hunt ..... I've been using an NCE wireless pro cab for years.  I adjust at least a dozen or more cv's on my steam engines for crawl speed, overall volume balance of sound, momentum, EQ, getting the PROPER PROTOTYPICAL whistle ok it, etc etc etc.  It's the excessive trackwork blocking, circuit breakers, boosters and all of that which  I, and the original poster, just don't need.  On a big club sized layout, likely, but there's some threshold below which you just don't need all of that stuff.  The thought that you do, we see over and over, confounds beginners because a certain element insists how necessary it is, when at that level, it isn't.

However , I will say that I've been a little rough on the geeks, and do offer apology for the tone of my message.  Roughness in message delivery is something I need to work on.  I know that I've gotten too intense when it brings out my old friend and neighbor Jerry.   :D.   The message, however, that geeking, while necessary at wider levels of modeling, can get inane and beginner-confounding at entry level, still stands.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 07, 2015, 10:19:03 AM
Hunt ..... I've been using an NCE wireless pro cab for years.  I adjust at least a dozen or more cv's on my steam engines for crawl speed, overall volume balance of sound, momentum, EQ, getting the PROPER PROTOTYPICAL whistle ok it, etc etc etc.  It's the excessive trackwork blocking, circuit breakers, boosters and all of that which  I, and the original poster, just don't need.  

I know that I've gotten too intense when it brings out my old friend and neighbor Jerry.   :D.

3 things go with this quote.....
1- you must be a geek if you are fooling around with cv's  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
2- I don't know how you can say the OP does not need any of this since he only started off by asking for advice on a command system and decoder installs and you went into the geeks using block control and everything else. A simple nod to NCE if that's what you prefer would have done without degrading the great advice given by the expert modeler's that are on here ( I am not in that group by the way). If he is analog now he may have block control set up already? then all he would have to do is open all the blocks and install the DCC system ( check for reverse loops).
3- only Jim has the right to call me an OLD FRIEND  ;D. I remember you quoting to someone that that would not be possible.

Jerry

Trainman203

Hunt

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 07, 2015, 10:19:03 AM
. ..  It's the excessive trackwork blocking, circuit breakers, boosters and all of that . . . . there's some threshold below which you just don't need all of that stuff. 

Trainman203,

Here we are like minded and the need for or not need for "that stuff" is worth emphasizing.  It is putting forward that ejseider or any beginner using DCC just needs two wires for DCC because you do without qualifying such is only valid if his layout wiring quality, power and power distribution requirements duplicates your requirements.

Trainman203

Hunt it appeared that he had a smaller layout than mine, which isn't very big.

And Jerry, once an apology is offered, which I did do, there's really no need to continue. I know I was incorrect and impolite  and said so.  I would hope that counts for something.

I'll bow out of this discussion .  Hopefully the guy can figure out DCC .

Len

If you're new to DCC, I recommend these books:

This one's about as basic as it gets, while stil getting you off on the right foot:

https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/model-trains/books/12448__Basic-DCC-Wiring-for-Your-Model-Railroad

This one gets into a bit more technical detail, but it's still aimed at beginners:

https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/model-trains/books/12417__The-DCC-Guide

You can order direct from Kalmbach, Amazon, your local book store, or LHS.

Len

richardl

Welcome.

I am over 74 and and learned some years ago, when you go from DC to DCC, you are entering the world of geekdom. No getting around it. Research will be necessary.
When you remove the shell of a loco, you are going deep into this world.
I am fortunate to have started with tube circuits and come up thought the rank you might say.
If you no doubt have high speed Internet, the Bachmann forums and Google will be a great asset.
Since this is new to you, form your Favourites URL list with results of searches or what others here suggest.
Since DCC came out, I have accumulated about four hundred links on various aspects of model railroading with DCC. But I like the challenge.
I also use the Power Cab.

DC to DCC has a learning curve.

Surely you remember having to program a VCR some years ago to record programs.

Len

Quote from: richardl on September 07, 2015, 07:43:33 PM

Surely you remember having to program a VCR some years ago to record programs.

DCC's not that hard! ;D

Len

jbrock27

ej, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that you can run more than one loco togther (consist) and also run and control more than one loco at a time, using DC, two good DC Power Packs and Common rail wiring.  Perhaps you know this already but in the event you did not, there it is.

Quote from: Jerrys HO on September 07, 2015, 10:50:02 AM
3- only Jim has the right to call me an OLD FRIEND  ;D. Jerry

Thank you for that old friend :)

I agree with my old friend and Len and would pass on trying to convert this loco to DCC.  For that, if that is the direction you are set on, there are better choices out there.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 06, 2015, 08:58:12 PM
At my age you all should be understanding, and gently helpful.  :D

It is good that you apologized TM203 as I did not witness a lot of gentility or understanding coming from your corner.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ejseider

Bachmann has an 0-6-0 with tender that is DCC ready, and I could likely ask for as a Christmas present, but the description that they give doesn't say anything about sound.  Does anyone know if it comes with sound, or is that something that needs to be added?  Also, if it does come with sound, what's your opinion of it?