News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HELP with conversion to DCC

Started by ejseider, September 06, 2015, 03:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

Quote from: ejseider on October 12, 2015, 01:24:29 PM
Could the PC board be a DCC decoder that was included with the replaced loco?  How do I check this?
Sir, a picture is worth 1000 words, please do us a favor and upload a photo to photobucket or your favorite image hosting site so we can be of more help to you.

With out seeing any pictures I can tell you this, it is most likely not a decoder, if your original locomotive did not have a decoder Bachmann would not send back a DCC equipped locomotive unless it was in error. Further all the analog Bachmann 0-6-0 locomotives with a tender I have seen do not have a PC board.

Bucksco

It might be easier and cheaper to invest in a DCC/sound equipped loco.

richardl

As an example, at Micro Mark a 2-6-0 HO scale with DCC and sound is $150.00. It might cost at least as much to convert a DC 0-6-0 to DCC and sound. with a lot of work involved and it still will not be as good as the one he buys.
Want something bigger? A 2-8-4 for $195.00.
A 2-8-2 for $237.00.
Massive steam? 2-8-8-4 $219.95 DCC equipped. Add the Tsunami sound module. later.

Rich

jward

there is a very simple way to find out if a locomotive had a decoder. place it on a track powered by dcc. if it doesn't have a decoder, the motor will emit a high pitched squeal when stopped. do not leave a non dcc locomotive sit on dcc track for very long periods, but this checque should be ok.

that said, I have a couple of these 0-6-0s I bought in train sets around 2011-2012. they do have a small pc board in them. you can add a small non-sound decoder relatively easily by removing the pc board and soldering the wires to the appropriate ones on your decoder. if you remove the smoke unit, there is enough room in the cavity for a z scale decoder suck as a digitrax dz125.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

OP perhaps at this point just take our suggestion and go ahead and purchase a Bachmann Soundvalue 2-6-0 Mogul. I am fairly certain you will be pleased with its performance.

ejseider

Looking at sound decoders instructions:  they say to synchronize chuff, connect wire to cam output connection.  Where is the cam output connection, and how do you connect to it?

rogertra

Quote from: ejseider on October 25, 2015, 09:33:18 PM
Looking at sound decoders instructions:  they say to synchronize chuff, connect wire to cam output connection.  Where is the cam output connection, and how do you connect to it?

Not all steam models have a cam.  Usually located on one of the driving wheel axles.

Cheers

Roger T.

Copperline

Message to EJSEIDER.. I too have the 0-6-0 with the PC board H507X#PCB02.. Did you ever get a helpful answer - on wiring?  Did you just use the standard decoder wiring to the motor ( Orange and Gray wire leads ) and did your 0-6-0 run OK.. I was going to abandon the smoke - and possibly the light - But I just wanted to get the Motor to run OK  Thanks  Copperline Foreman - John