News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SNOW COVER

Started by RWDJRvu1976, October 01, 2015, 04:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWDJRvu1976

I am new at this!   what should I use to cover something that will make it look like it is snow covered ?   I want to place  my new train set on top of this snow

what do I use? where do I get it?  are there sheets of something?

thanks

Robert

Piyer

There are several products out there, most being loose material intended to be sprinkled over ground cover and glued down with scenic glue. Sheet snow sold around Christmas time is another option. A white plastic table cloth or shower curtain is another.

WARNING -- do not use rolled cotton (first aid supplies) or anything that is not intended for use around electrical items, as even a small spark could cause the material to catch fire. Learned that lesson the hard way when a Lionel steam locomotive shorted out against the metal base of an accessory. Christmas Eve fun turned into a fiery hell. We lost the whole apartment and most of our pets.

The plastic shower curtain might not be realistic, and the loose snow ground cover might be expensive and more work than you wanted to do, but both are safer than any cotton / cotton-like snow sheet. As the real railroads say, safety first, last, and always!
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Len

Wool quilt batting works. Stay away from "Christmas Tree" snow sheets that have fibers sticking out all over. They get caught in the gears and cause all kinds of problems.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.