News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing couplings

Started by ken schiller, September 23, 2015, 03:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken schiller

I have just bought an n guage wagon with buckeye (knuckle) couplings, but want to change them for the Rapido couplings that were supplied. The issue is that they are not NEM couplings, but have a retaining lug of some sort, with a hole in the coupling to locate together. So my question is, how do I swap them over, as it doesnt want to come apart

brokemoto

What is it, specifically, that you bought?  If I knew what it was, and, were familiar with it, it would be easier to answer your question.

ken schiller

It is a Bachmann N Scale Train 52' Center Depressed Flat Car with No Load 71399

gatrhumpy

Not sure why you would want to change to the older, less reliable, ugly couplers.

ken schiller

Bloks

All my rolling stock have rapido couplers too :) And locos too ... Now what?

RGW

that is the problem with 2 coupler types. If you fleet of N scale is small, I think it would be advantages to switch over to knuckle couplers on all of them.When i switched from HO to N over 20 years ago I am glad that I started installing MT Knuckle couplers from the get go. Most if not all new N scale are coming out with knuckle couplers.

Bloks

OK, MicroTrains couplers can easy installed on my Kato rolling stock, but Bachmann locomotives - how install MicroTrains couplers on them?

brokemoto

Quote from: Bloks on November 11, 2015, 09:15:32 AMBachmann locomotives - how install MicroTrains couplers un them?

If you go to MT's website, there is a conversion chart there.   What you use depends on the product.  For older B-manns, the 1133 is almost universal.   If you operate on sharper curves, use 1134, as that is merely a longer shank version of 1133.   Newer Bachamanns seem to vary, so it is wise to consult the chart.

If the conversion for anything on your roster calls for 1133, do purchase the MT coupler tweezers.  They are just about indispensable for working with 1133/1134 (and 1131, as well).

MT does sell many truck mounted couplers.  The swap outs are usually pretty easy.   Some of the older Rocos can be difficult to do a swap out, but the others are not so difficult.   Take a peek at the MT website.

The manufacturers are getting away from the  old Rapido couplers.   If you can do the conversions, it would not be unwise.  For the interim, you can have a few transition cars:  Rapido on one end, knuckle coupler on the other.

RGW

I do not  replace the rapido couplers on my cars . I just replace the whole truck. on a Bachmann car I remove the truck and take a Micro-trains truck and enlarge the pivot hole so that it sivils nice and reatach the screw. You can get the new bachmann Ez mate trucks and just swap them out for the old ones. Then there is no need tho modify the mounting hole.

Or my secret for saving money on replacement trucks with knuckle couplers for my car that I have with rapidos.  I look for a lot of used  cars on Feebay that have the trucks I want,bid on them and if I get them I swap the truck and then sell  the cars that I do not need.

Bloks

Sometimes we can change truck, but sometimes ...

;D

Anyway - thanks for idea!