News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Magnet with Brakeman

Started by hgcHO, September 25, 2015, 11:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

What is the purpose of the steel plate on top of the magnet?   Cause, I think I misplace one but the magnet appears to uncouple with out a problem in my only test.

Len

The steel plate is intended to strengthen the magnetic field. But, like you, I find it isn't really necessary. It also lets you remove the magnet if you glue it to the roadbed, instead of the magnet itself.

My old eyes can't always pick out the little guy when he's far away. So, I use Kadee between the rails magnets that can be seen from a distance for those locations.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Len; What is with a "magnetic brakeman"?  Is this like jimmy Rodgers?...
Rich C.

Trainman203

Jimmy was the "Singing Brakeman."

Although, years ago there was a story about him around the railroad in Meridian MS .  The train crew would get called and  someone might ask if Rodgers was in the crew.  If he was, another would say..."well you ain't gonna get much work outa him, better get an extra man." :o :D

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 26, 2015, 01:39:16 PM
...Meridian MS . 

Hometown of Cullen Bohannon, railroad man from a railroad family...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on September 26, 2015, 01:16:01 PM
Len; What is with a "magnetic brakeman"?  Is this like jimmy Rodgers?...
Rich C.

Yeah. Everywhere you don't want him to be.

And it's "Magnet with Brakeman", specifically products 78999 (HO) and 78998 (N). The brakeman figure is supposed to go alongside the track so you know where the magnet is. Only my eyes don't see HO size figures that well anymore, and how many brakemen would there really be standing along the side of the track??

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

Brakemen are just about a thing of the past.  I don't know the crew size of locals, Most trains are now only two.  Our local rr has two trains a night.  I think they have an engineer and a guy in a pickup.  We no longer have any rail customers.  The two just north of us has one customer, and it is mostly tank cars on a one way trip. 

Desertdweller

I used to work in Meridian, MS, on the Meridian and Bigbee, mostly running trains between Meridian and Selma, AL.  Also worked the night switcher in Nahola, AL yard.  I didn't know it was Jimmy Rogers' home town.

Sometimes I would go all the way to Montgomery, AL.

Les

Trainman203

you worked for the railroad in Meridian MS and didn't know it was the home of Jimmie Rodgers? :o. You didn't ever go to the Jimmie Rodgers museum, see all of Jimmie's (and Hank Snow's) cool stuff, and see the Meridian and Bigbee 2-8-0 outside?

Mercy sakes! I do declare!  I'm about to get the vapors! 

I yodeled for the ladies in the museum and they gave me a logo ball cap.